Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:44:32 AM EDT
I want a .308 semi-auto carbine to use as a Hog hunting rifle, not gonna confront any bad guys or terrorist or anything like that, just hunting Hog's. but it needs to be rugged ,you cross creeks and mud, thick brush, mud thrown up from 4-wheelers,rain,snow. anywhere from 1 hog to maybe several so a semi would be better than a bolt in say thick brush, and as fast as they move thru it. I like the controls, sights  and pistol grip of AR's better that any others in the market, I am thinking of a DPMS AP4 because of the size and the foward assist and the fact it has the iron sights plus a low way to mount a scope/dot, would be using Soft Point ammo so the foward assist would probably be good because lead tips sometime hang where fmj wouldn't.  I have never handled  or even seen a AP-4 in person, but if CMMG has any in stock I planned on driving there to look/buy......waiting on a reply to email sent....

I thought about the Browning and Remington semi-auto in .308 but the lack of the pistol grip and the overall length vs the AP4 I think it is a better choice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
If you like the set-up of an AR-style gun, then go for it.

I use a .50 Beowulf for hogs, fellow ARF.comer "Cold" uses a .458 SOCOM (I think), so the platform is definitely in use.

A .308 like the DPMS AP4 would suit your needs perfectly, especially with a low power fixed or variable scope or a good quality dot sight- preferrably with a 3 minute or less dot.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
.........SniperX, guess where I got the Idea to use this type rifle for Hog Hunting??

Yeah, from your photo/post on here or texasboars about 2 years ago???
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Buddy of mine took my AR10 on his first hog hunt and the local experts, well they were local anyway, thought it made a heck of a lot of sense as a hog gun. Buy it and shoot those oinkers.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top