Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2006 6:33:01 PM EDT
Does anybody besides DPMS make 7.62x39 uppers for ar's and what mags do they use . . . also I already know about AR47s
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been doing the search for the same caliber uppers for several weeks now. And here is what I have found so far.
Model 1 Sales, Del-ton, DPMS, Colt /discontinued/, Olympic Arms. I have no idea about mags they offer in 7.62X39 caliber. Colt factory mags are 5 round, DPMS has 10 round mags. The rest do not offer mags. But I am not sure. Anyone else has more to add?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at this myself... Model 1 Sales doesn't got any bigger than 10 rds for a 7.62x39 magazine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Model 1 Sales 20" flattop upper, A2 flash hider, and the $25 FF tube upgrade. With handloads, it is quite accurate. I have yet found a 7.62x39 AR magazine that works "out of the box". MGW: Misfeeds. Generic 20rd: Major surgery and 50/50 reliability. U.S.A. Magazines 10rd: I have one and, with a minor tweak, works perfectly. I have four more of the USA's and they are waiting for me to do the "tweak". Bullet seating depth is critical to proper feeding. (At least in my experience)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
RB Precision has a "frankenmag" listed on their website.  It is a DPMS product.  It is listed as "backordered indefinately".  Good luck.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The mags are the Achilles Heal of the 7.62x39 AR.  If someone made quality mags at a good price you'd see a lot more uppers being sold.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If several makers made AR47 receivers at cheap price it would help also as ak mags function well.

According to my sources with Colt upperss the USA frankenMags were only Hicapacity that worked well and that was iffy -

And this could potentially be a better choice for suppressed use if you had a fast twist barrel for heavy bullet loads.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
[#7]
You micght want to try Double Star. I noticed that you can get 7.62x39 uppers in their catalog
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Brownell's sells some 10 round mags for the AR 7.62x39, I can not remember the manufacturer (mcd) but I have heard they work well. I was going to order some from them today but of course they a back ordered (they did have them last week). Do a search for AR15 magazines and it should come up. The same company makes one for the 223, click on that and it will also show the 7.62x39 info.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought this 11.5 inch from Model 1.  it looks and works great on my M16.  I did have to get a set of Wolf extra power extractor springs, but other than tht it just flat runs.   i BOUGHT A BUNCH OF gtech/dpms frankenmags from the EE.  Also bought some 40 rounders from the EE.  They all work great.  even bought two of the ChiCom drums,  Only tried one, but it works about 50-50.

I will say, for full auto, they recommend brass, not the steel ammo.  I've shot only the Cheetah.

BTW, it's a real attention getter and throws a much better flame than 5.56.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top