Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2006 9:49:16 AM EDT
Hey guys, new to the forum. I bought a Colt HBAR about 3 years ago and havent done much with it. Getting ready to go out to WYO to do some varmit hunting. I would like to know how to setup my HBAR to be a good varmit gun. Looking for a good flat top receiver as well as some different handguards with bi-pod and a muzzle break. Looking to keep the gun as acurate if not more so. I would like to put a leopeuld scope on as well. Thanks for the help, great site!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:36:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave,

Randall is right on the money.  It's refreshing to see his post, as it mirrors what I have suggested in the past.  I would add one more point.  Freefloat, trigger and quality handloads.  With these three covered, you can pretty much make any decent quality barrel shoot.  Good glass will put your good reloads on target.  Add a rear bag and bench (or long bipod and sitting) and the AR can keep up with bolt guns of similar caliber.

The flip side to the brake should be addressed.  Randall is spot on, it will be loud, and rough on any nearby partners.  But, it can help greatly if you want to see your shots.  Lots of folks say that the AR does not kick badly.  It does not, but crank a good scope up to high magnification and it is easy to lose your sight picture on recoil.  I like a true brake on my varmint rigs, not just a suppressor.  Lots of holes on top and on the side, and nothing on the bottom.  I do enjoy PD aerobatics.

Craig
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top