Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:51 PM EDT
Fact or fiction...... Brass cased.....I heard 8-10 bucks a box but no other details
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, I hope so.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Fact or fiction...... Brass cased.....I heard 8-10 bucks a box but no other details

Damn I hope so ..

After you let me shoot your's , I had to go buy one .
Now I'm waiting on a case of ammo to show up so I can
shoot the damn thing for more then 10 min

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the ad on Gunbroker.com.....not for the gun but for what he say's about WOlf AMMO......

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=42879074

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:55:15 AM EDT
[#4]
hopefully

but then he also states that the upper he is selling is a "rare" upper. i did see that wolf is now selling brass case ammo in the new natchez catolog
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard that, and I'm certainly not going to believed some schmuck who's trying to sell a used upper for $200+ over retail!!!!

I bet he heard that Grendel ammo is going to offered by Wolf and got his wires crossed.   In any case, we'll find out in a few weeks
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
nothing on their website yet
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I know it's supposed to be in the works for Grendel ammo.
Considering they are both AA rounds it wouldn't seem too far fetched if the beowulf ammo was part of the  deal.
Will be interesting to see what developes.

Could really swing some market AA's way with cheaper available ammo.
Available being the key word. I reload so it's not so much an issue but for some that don't it could make the difference in whether to purchase an upper/rifle or not.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#8]
If $5-8 a box is true a .50 Beowolf might be my first AR.  How does it do ballisticly?  I had heard
45-70ish ie. useless beyond 150meters.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If $5-8 a box is true a .50 Beowolf might be my first AR.  How does it do ballisticly?  I had heard
45-70ish ie. useless?? beyond 150meters.

"Useless" depends on "use". If you're looking for flat shooting, maybe "useless" applies, but that was never in the cartridge's design envelope. If you're looking for accurate, massive kinetic energy, in a low deflection trajectory then the term "useless" is "baseless".

Look here and make your own judgement:(Beowulf ballistics)  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
This is an outright lie. I have talked to Bill A extensively about .50 Beowulf and he NEVER mentioned that Wolf Ammo was going to make the ammo. What is true is Wolf Ammo is going to produce 6.5 Grendel Ammo shortly and with brass cases.

On the brighter side, I did hear that Speer Ammunition has been contemplating producing the 50BEO ammo commercially. This IS a fact! Keep your fingers crossed.

I emailed the gunbroker seller to tell them to stop trolling for bidder with outright lies.. I will post the reply if i get one... (doubt it).

www.50beowulf.com
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:37:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
45-70ish ie. useless beyond 150meters.

That's its applcation - under 150m stop it NOW show stopper.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Even if Wolf made Grendel and .50 Beowulf ammo... who would shoot it?  I sure wouldn't run sub-standard ammo through my .50 (or any of my ARs for that matter).  Think about it... spend $1000 on a 6.5 Grendel upper and then run cheap ammo?  That just doesn't make sense.

My $.02 anyway.

Scot
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Even if Wolf made Grendel and .50 Beowulf ammo... who would shoot it?  I sure wouldn't run sub-standard ammo through my .50 (or any of my ARs for that matter).  Think about it... spend $1000 on a 6.5 Grendel upper and then run cheap ammo?  That just doesn't make sense.

My $.02 anyway.

Scot

Hopefully nobody will shoot it...so the price will be lower
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My $.02 anyway.

Scot

It wouldn't make sense if it was the "sub standard" steel cased ammo that most folks who haven't been paying attention think is the only stuff that has the name "Wolf" on the box.   Fortunately, that isn't the case with the Wolf 6.5 Grendel ammo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Maybe whoever spent 1K on an upper, then can't afford to shoot much quality ammo so they plink with wolf so they can still enjoy their upper? makes sense to me. Plus as already stated, this isn't wolf's usual steel cased budget ammo, it's brass cased decent stuff from what I hear.

As for me, I'm going to get a Grendel upper, get some premium ammo for hunting and wolf for plinking, it sure doesn't make sense to spend a dollar a round just to shoot for fun does it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:06:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My $.02 anyway.

Scot

Before you speak you should know what your are talking about first!

BTW this ammo if I am not mistaken will come in two flavors, one a Hunting round and the other a FMJ or their abouts for MIL/LE?? PLus its brass cased for reloading:)

Ant
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using Wolf for years....never had any problems....I also keep my weapons clean.... I think thats the key to trouble free shooting...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#18]
It seems there is some confusion about what exactly "Wolf" ammunition is. Wolf is just an importer. They can and do get their ammunition from many different ammo manufacturers, mostly from eastern bloc countries, but not all. The ammunition can thereby be drastically different, depending on who has contrated with Wolf for what type of ammo.

It seems the stuff from Wolf for the Grendel is coming from the Prvi Partizan ammo plant in Serbia. Ammo from that place is regarded as high quality stuff. Alexander Arms stated that it will be a minimum 1.5 to 2MOA grade of ammo when fired from their soon to be released Tactical Grendel, and have some expectation it will be better. It isn't even in the same universe as the steel stuff it's being compared to.

Of futher interest, Wolf will also be releasing a new 5.56mm round of M193 specs. Again, from Prvi Partizan.

Of even more interest for those who like the budget ammo, Wolf will be tweaking the steel .223 ammo another 100 to 200fps.

This is supposed to be launched at the SHOT show in 2 weeks.

I hope they do get on with the Beowulf as well.

ETA: some clarification about the use in the Tactical Grendel

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#19]
interesting info on the new 5.56 coming, thanks...
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#20]
In surfing on ARF I find that there is a lot of love it/hate it surrounding Wolf Ammo.  Personally, I run it through my guns, and I have friends that do as well.  In fact a friend of mine has an AR upper that hates most of the "economy-grade" .223 ammo (Remington-UMC, Winchester USA, American Eagle) but it has run several cases of Wolf 55 gr with only minimal cleaning and has suffered 2 failures, both due to a snapped mag spring.  I'm a big fan of Cheaper Than Dirt and I'm sure most of you get their catalogs and i was quite excited to see their line of economy brass cased ammo appearing on those pages.  My father shoots a 7mm Rem Mag, and he loves not having to spend 18 bucks a box to shoot the gun.  I own a 24" Masheda custom Grendel and I will be very curious to test this ammo out in my MATCH upper.  I'm more intrigued though, because I plan on buying one of the new Tactical Grendel models AA will be releasing this year.  In reading the 65grendel.com forums, a lot of hopes are being pinged on this Wolf ammo (and hopefully some other manufacturers, only SHOT 2006 will know for sure) so that the Grendel can make a bigger push into the civilian/consumer marker as well.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#21]
A quote from the person who has the original ad on Gunbroker......I asked the question.... "Where did you hear the info on Wolf Ammo????"
answer....  " From Bill Alexander, Alexander Arms. Also from his partner that worked on the 6.5 Grendel at Competition Shooters Inc. the ammo should hit the market around March."  the person who emailed me back is named Kathy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Bottom line with Wolf Ammo...

You get what you pay for.  I can reload 20 rounds of .50 Beowulf ammo for under $7 (based on a very conservative 5 shots per casing) that is of higher quality than factory ammo.  Yes, I've invested my time reloading (I enjoy it).  I'd rather spend my time reloading than cleaning the "Wolf" crap out of my gun.  Why complain about a lack of cheap ammo when you can make your own inexpensive and QUALITY ammo right now?

If Wolf imported some higher quality 5.56 ammo that was more accurate, more powerful, and much cleaner... I'd shoot it.  But don't fool yourself... there's no such thing as a free lunch.  You have to pay for quality.  You are not going to get quality ammo (from ANY supplier) for $100 a case.

Scot
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Again, it's good enough for PLINKING........and I'd love to reload, however my time is too valuable, as AD mil, full time college student, husband and father I barely have time to shoot let alone reload and I KNOW I'm not the only one in this type of situation.

Nobody can argue that Wolf isn't good enough to shoot cans with, and I look forward to see what their new offering will be from shot this year....I really hope that they're going to come out with that new 5.56 load....we'll see....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#24]
This has been proven a lie by someone in another thread on this forum. They contacted someone from wolf and they said they would indeed be manufactoring grenal ammo but no beowulf.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Maybe whoever spent 1K on an upper, then can't afford to shoot much quality ammo so they plink with wolf so they can still enjoy their upper? makes sense to me. Plus as already stated, this isn't wolf's usual steel cased budget ammo, it's brass cased decent stuff from what I hear.

As for me, I'm going to get a Grendel upper, get some premium ammo for hunting and wolf for plinking, it sure doesn't make sense to spend a dollar a round just to shoot for fun does it?

1000 bucks for an upper eh....well RRA has a 458 SOCOM upper for 660....and it shoots the 600 grain CORBON load...devastating...dont make me post pics
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Since I am the owner of Competition Shooting Sports and I was at the Axeander Arms booth most of the show,,, I can tell you I never once told anyone anything about Wolf doing Beowulf ammo,,, nor have I heard any mention of it on the horizon

Wolf has released 6.5 Grendel ammo with anticipated arrival of shipments from Europe in May or June.. takes 45 days on the water once shipped.   Probably looking at 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 rounds being produced in 2006.   Ammo for the Grendel should retail in the $5.00-$6.00 per box range, but final pricing will not be out from Wolf for a week or two.

PS - if you want a 24 inch Beowulf upper, got three of them on the shelf ready to go for $895.00 each. www.competitionshooting.com

Arne

Just quoting what the auction said.....  BTW.. the auction is gone....  no takers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:02:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Since I am the owner of Competition Shooting Sports and I was at the Axeander Arms booth most of the show,,, I can tell you I never once told anyone anything about Wolf doing Beowulf ammo,,, nor have I heard any mention of it on the horizon

Wolf has released 6.5 Grendel ammo with anticipated arrival of shipments from Europe in May or June.. takes 45 days on the water once shipped.   Probably looking at 8,000,000 to 10,000,000 rounds being produced in 2006.   Ammo for the Grendel should retail in the $5.00-$6.00 per box range, but final pricing will not be out from Wolf for a week or two.

PS - if you want a 24 inch Beowulf upper, got three of them on the shelf ready to go for $895.00 each. www.competitionshooting.com

Arne

I don't need an upper but I put in an order for 220rds of .50 Beo. I have never shot the 400g stuff and am looking forward to testing some. Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top