Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:36:02 AM EDT
we all know that bushmaster dropped their .308 abruptly. I have one nib they sent me after the first  one malfunctioned (broken bolt, etc.). before I decide to keep it or sell it I decided to check into parts availability. they will sell extra bolts ($149) but they told me that they won't sell extra barrels.  the sales rep I talked to said the barrel was good for 5k rounds as if that was all I should expect out of the rifle. I told him I would shoot it that much in a year. anyone have a source for these barrels. can't think why anyone would make them. thanks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
While I think the 5k life expectancy is total BS, any gunsmith worth his salt can replace the barrel with any brand he chooses.

Shilen, Wilson, Krieger, Pac Nor, any one you want.

Mike

ps - where do you think replacement barrels for Armalites, DPMS or any AR15 comes from, as they all start out life as a barrel blank (of varying profiles) spec'd for specific calibers and are fitting/headspaced to the upper.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]
mr. wilson:
 I agree with you on the 5k limit. I've had several .308 rifles that I have exceeded 10k rounds without noticeable deterioration of performance, including an m1a and an fal.
thanks for the comment on barrels. I've just had a look at some of the sources and the  barrel extension could be threaded off the old barrel and reused.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
mr_wilson

Well said,

The only issue is attempting to get a hold of the barrel extension for the Bushmaster .308, if I could find a source for them then the issue of replacement barrels would end.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top