Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 6:34:34 PM EDT
Okay, here's my question.  I have the opportunity to buy an ar10t 24 inch like new without a scope or any accessories or a dpms 24 inch 308 with atn scope.  I know atn scopes suck, but it's a package deal with a harris bi-pod, two 20 round mags, 100 rounds of hornady match ammo for $100 less than the armalite.  So here's the big question, how much better is the armalite?  Any opinions on the big differences?  Anybody who has owned both?  Please, any input would help.  Thanks, Shawn
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.  Im looking to do the same so I would like to see the results.  I hear there both good especially if you send it to www.gaprecision.net/.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I've spoken with GA Precision, and he was one of the gunsmiths that was very pro DPMS versus Armalite (cost and quality control issues).  Seems all the responses from members here have been positive on the Armalite and nuetral on DPMS.  Also, for what it's worth, I emailed both manufactures asking them why I should buy from them instead of the brand X.  I've had only one response.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a thread in this section about this subject.  Go read it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
they are both good, it really depends on what you can get a better deal on, in this case it looks like the dpms is a better choice. go for it

if it were me, i would buy the armalite with the lifetime warrenty, i have had great service and luck with armalite

also cosmetically i think that the ar10 looks better,

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#5]
well I happen to LIKE my ATN scope. but what do I know? Any scope seems good compared to my plain old eyeballs.  So you may want to quit reading right now. I look at it like buying a platform rather than just the gun.  Lots and lots more AR-standard stuff you know will fit the Armalite whereas the DPMS seems to have some fitment quirks. SEEMS TO, don't ask me what because I don't know and don't care but that thread that was referenced above will have the details. has
So I have the Armalite and am quite pleased with it. No wishing for the DPMS on my part. AR shoots great, looks great, durable, warranted, etc.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I just voted on this topic in another thread.

Armalite for quality.  Its just a more professional rifle.  Whatever you do don't buy either without seeing both.

You might find a bushmaster 308 but dont buy.  Theyre out of production and mags are a real problem.  A friend of mine has one and we could only get about half the mags to work.  Turns out they were used mags refinished to look new.  Even some of the new ones worked bad.  When you got a good mag the rifles worked good but man, the long receiver really means you gotta stretch your left arm just a little bit extra.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I just voted on this topic in another thread.

Armalite for quality.  Its just a more professional rifle.  Whatever you do don't buy either without seeing both.

You might find a bushmaster 308 but dont buy.  Theyre out of production and mags are a real problem.  A friend of mine has one and we could only get about half the mags to work.  Turns out they were used mags refinished to look new.  Even some of the new ones worked bad.  When you got a good mag the rifles worked good but man, the long receiver really means you gotta stretch your left arm just a little bit extra.

That is interesting because when they first came out, there was a person that spent all day (it seemed like) telling how great it was, how great the mags worked and they were cheaper than the ArmaLite mags, and on and on ad nauseum.

Some of us were skeptical of his BS and many things, including your post, have borne out the skepticism.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
The BAR-10 will ride again under the RRA banner. It will be shown at SHOT.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The BAR-10 will ride again under the RRA banner. It will be shown at SHOT.

It won't be a BAR-10.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top