Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:18:48 AM EDT
im a newbie to the 308 AR's.  Anyone got a good review of the DPMS rifles ?

one question i have, ive seen some with metal mags, is that possible, i thought the dpms rifles only accepted those flimsy looking plastic mags

[edit to add]
i spoke too soon, here are a few reviews i found

http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/LR308.asp

http://www.gunblast.com/DPMS-AR10Carbine.htm
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking for a personal review, I give DPMS two thumbs up.  I've got a 24" LR with a little over two hundred rounds through it.  Perfect function, super accuracy, and you don't want anything but their steel mags.  Fit and finish on my rifle is great.  All for a great price!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
 The 24" LR 308's are very nice rifles for the money.  Very very accurate, if you do your part.  Mine is kind of finicky with reloads but, good factory ammo runs great.  

Weazer

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS LR .308, with a few extras.

This one came with the polymer mags, and I was really impressed with it, both function and accuracy.

I then switched to the Metal Mags, and started having failure to feed problems. Long story short, rifle was sent back to DPMS and fixed at no cost to me.

I was just out to the range this last week, and put 160 rounds through it with no problems, not to mention that it shot sub 1 MOA all the way out to 300 yards.

This is a great rifle! For the money, this is "ONE HELL OF A RIFLE"!!!!!

DPMS is increasing their .308 offerings in 2006, which is great news for everyone, except me because that means that I will be going broke.

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Captrichardson.....Someone with a FF .308 rail! Could you take a photo of the front of the rail? I'm curious if the top rail is hollow along its entire profile or if it is just attached to the tube?

Simon
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry Idon't have any pictures but the rails on the DPMS handgaurds are not added on to the tube the handguards are all one pc. there is no groove cut in the top rail.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the top rail open at the end? I'm just wondering if I can use a reprofiled front sight base with one of these rails with a carbine length port.

Simon
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Eastwood,
Sorry to be taking your topic off track a little.

Simon,
Here are some pics, hopefully they will help.

As you can see the top rail is "solid".

I am not sure if I understand your question, but if you are trying to reprofile the gas block to get it to fit underneath / inside of this handguard, you would really have to shave a lot of material off of the gas block. Hopefully the pictures will give you some idea.

If you need anymore pics, or anything else, let me know. I still owe you one for providing me the info on the PRS. Thanks for the tip, it is one really great stock.

Good Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, I want to use the FF handguard on an AP4 with a shaved standard front sight base. Ufortunately, this will not work unless I hack off the front of the rail.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]

I think I got it now,

Are looking to use the longer length handguard on the carbine for the added rail length, which is why you are trying to sneak the gas block under the handguard?

I would really like to get an upper with a fluted 18" barrel, with the rifle length free floated quad rail handguard, but I am not sure if that will be a DPMS option or if it would be a custom job. So far all of the 16" and 18" barreled rifles that I have seen have carbine length handguards and the gas block is set back to far to use the rifle length handguard. I am going to drop Shane an email and see what he has to say.

I have held off on this new rifle project because I have been saving my money to purchase one of the new .300 Rem SAUM uppers that is rumored to be released by DPMS sometime in the Spring. Being able to switch back and forth from .308 to .300 using a single lower is going to be real nice if the release ever happens!

Let us know what you find out, and if you have any luck.

Thanks,
“Capt Richardson”

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Sort of......I definitely prefer to have less barrel exposed. Just think why I am asking.....it should be horribly obvious.

What are you looking to do with your 16-18" upper?

Simon
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#11]
This is what I am thinking:

I am guessing you may be doing something similar?

Sorry once again Eastwood 123 for taking this off of topic.

Good Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Well...DPMS cannot keep up with demand for the LR-308......

Simon

Capt....haha...except not so lo-tech!

Simon
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Can't say enough good things about my LR-308 18", had a teething problem but all has worked out, fit and finish are perfect and I surely would bet the farm on it, I would love to see the AP4 with a 20" barrel

http://usera.imagecave.com/panther308/Dpms1.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/panther308/Dpms3.JPG
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Captrichardson,
Were did you get the FF rail on your DPMS 308?
Regards,
C1

BTW:  IM me if you want.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Eastwood,
I too am considering a DPMS LR-308, and have pretty much decided to go ahead and place the order.  Everything I have read has been positive.  I see you are in TX.  Have you found stocking DPMS dealer in TX?  If so where?
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:32:49 AM EDT
[#16]
ditto on the dpms lr-308, will shoot 1/2 in 10 shot groups at 100 yards
            blackhawkkid223
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Now the question: Who offers DPMS stripped .308 lowers??
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:30:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Not DPMS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#19]
right...didn't know if anyone had a lead on some dealer with an "in" with DPMS for stripped lowers, if available.

Figures...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
right...didn't know if anyone had a lead on some dealer with an "in" with DPMS for stripped lowers, if available.

Figures...

stripped lower from dpms
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:52:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been very happy with mine since the metal mags came out.  I recently traded in my LR24" upper for a AP4 16"   It's a little more fun for plinking.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Eli75...you, sir, have reaffirmed my faith in humanity.

Oh, yeah, thanks for the link. I wonder what the street price is going to be for a stripped lower? DPMS' $400 pricetag is a bit "spicy". Even EA/ArmaLite's is a little more than half that price!

Think I'll call my FFL tomorrow...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#23]
C1,

Sorry for the slow response.

The Quad Rail Handguard came from DPMS, and they actually did the install:
DPMS .308 Handguards

I actually got my DPMS from Terry at Tejas Gunwerks.
Tejas Gunwerks
3411 Andtree Blvd
Austin, TX 78724  
(512) 926-8082
Tejas Gunwerks

At the time they has the best price that I could find, and they actually had them in stock.

Best of Luck,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#24]
So, can anyone tell me if it would be possible to "cut down" the FSB/GB and mount a FF rifle length rail over top?  I'm most interested in the LaRue or YHM.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#25]
make sure you get a 308 tube, and the threads match.  some tubes will fit over a gas block, but not all.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top