Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 9:19:01 PM EDT
Is it possible to convert .308 Dpms or a ar10 to a select fire or semi-burst-full fire modes?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is it possible to convert .308 Dpms or a ar10 to a select fire or semi-burst-full fire modes?

Only if you want to go to Club Fed for up to 10 years and up to a $250,000 fine.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Doubt seriously ant RDIAS will work so NO.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Can they be?  Yes
Can it be transfered?  No

Will a legal DIAS work?  I dont know

Having shot an AR10 that doubled once, I would have to say it would not be very practical at all
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can they be?  Yes
Can it be transfered?  No

Will a legal DIAS work?  I dont know

Having shot an AR10 that doubled once, I would have to say it would not be very practical at all

I called Armalite up once and asked.

An AR15 RDIAS' cannot be installed in AR10 recievers; they won't work.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:45:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You could build one as a Post Sample........with the appropriate mods. It would be pretty brutal like the FAL , G3 and m14.

Simon
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't want to steal the thread, but I flat out love the thrill of a .308 on full-auto.  I got my first taste on my gunsmith's G3, and I crave more.  I can definately see it being a handful for smaller individuals (I'm 6'4", 300 lbs.) however...my buddy was being taken for a ride when he shot it and he's a tall, lanky guy about 180 lbs.

AKTactical
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I believe that Quarterbore has tried this and found no joy.

I will IM him and see if he can elaborate here.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi alll...

I have not looked at the DPMS lower but I have looked at the AR-10.  Also, I do not own an DIAS but I do have a rLL...

Now, I have looked at using the Lightning Link in the Bushmaster 308 and AR-10 and it is my oppinion that the Bushmaster will be MUCH harder to get to work with the Lightning Link then the AR-10 while I think making teh AR-10 work with teh Lightning link wil be rather easy:

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=177

As for the DIAS, the big problem with a DIAS is that it fits around the rear takedown lug of the upper receiver.  There is no way that you can (if you were foolish enough to want to) open up the body of the DIAS such to allow the DIAS to fit around the rear lug in the AR-10.

One way around this would be to have a skilled welder weld up the rear lug and receicer holes for the rear takedown pin and then reshape the upper receiver takedown lug so that it fits inside the DIAS and then redrill the pivot pin hole to use a smaller AR-15 pivot pin.  I am not sure if this would be a problem with a full auto 308 but in the spirit of can it be done... I think it could be done!

So anyways, making the AR-10 run with a lightning link looks VERY easy.  I have not done mine yet as I want to formulate a well written and targeted letter to the BATFE verifying it would be legal to bolt an AR-10 to my machinegun (remember the AR-10 in this example is a PART added to the Machinegun (LL or DIAS) and NOT the other way around...

Fun stuff huh?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]
An extract from Assault Rifle: the Development of the Modern Military Rifle and its Ammunition (details on my website ):

Even worse for the Ordnance Department were the results of testing its treasured .30 cal Lightweight Rifle prototypes, duly reported by ORO. The tests involved firing controlled five-round bursts at silhouette targets contained within a frame six feet (1.8 metres) square. In repeated tests fired at a distance of just 100 yards (90 metres), no more than one bullet from each burst even hit the frame, let alone the target. Even at 50 yards (45 metres) not more than one bullet per burst hit the target. It was the first bullet which hit; the remainder went over the target as the muzzle rose under recoil.

The inevitable conclusions of the Hitchman report were that the .30 cal Light Rifle cartridge was vastly overpowered for its purpose and that fully-automatic fire with a powerful rifle was a waste of time and ammunition. This was just under five years before the M14 was officially adopted for US Army service, complete with a powerful .30 inch (7.62 x 51) cartridge and selective fire.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and discussion forum
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I carried an M14 with the rock and roll button.  I never used it.  As a member of a Nam-era 5 man marine recon team, aimed fire proved vastly superior to full auto.  Of course, we almost always had an M-60.  That was instant fire superiority.  But the gunner NEVER fired more than 4 or 5 round bursts.  Start real low, and let it climb!  Full auto with a 7.62x51 just isn't practical for most shooters.  At 6'2" and 240, I was smaller than the big fellow who  posted before me, and I couldn't control more than 3 rounds-and hit anything.  In the other direction, we made 700 yard shots over a ruck with the clunky ole M-14.
I never even considered carrying an M-16.  My first ever AR rifle is a DPMS LR308.  A .338 is next.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top