Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 12:48:01 PM EDT
What do you think?  As far as I can tell, Les Baer is the only company making one, and sadly, I don't make Les Baer kind of money.  I would sure like to find an upper from a reputable mfr in this caliber.  Does anyone else make or plan on making one?  My dad is talking about prairie dogs in SD this summer, seems like this might be a good tool for the job...

Thanks,
Erud
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you can find them at www.ar15barrels.com/

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out this thread... I am going to have him build me one. atleast the upper...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=262079
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet!  You guys are quick!  Now those are more in my price range - hey Pstores, how soon are getting one?  Can you PLEASE post a full report whenever you do get it?  It will take me a few months before I can scrape the cash together, but those are definitely attractive options.

Thanks for the info,
Erud
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Look no further than TROMIX Corp

Complete rifles start at  $1,350.
Uppers run $865 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
 Sure I will but it's going to take him sometime to make it. I am buying the rrp lower. and the rest from him.  I will let you know. From the way it sounds, some think this gun will be much better than Les Baer. We'll see. Email me down the road, in case I forget about you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Tony at Tromix is the real deal.  He is making my custom 458 SOCOM now and I will goto him again when I get some coin up for a fancy shotgun from his homepage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a MGI set up from Marty at Teppo with three calibers and .204 is one of them - the .204 is being built up by Tromix for us.  Can not wait to get that thing on some varmits.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
WOA built mine
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn Bob

You have all of the cool toys

Can you share the secert to your investment stragety with me, you had to have done something right
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that looks pretty nice, how does it shoot?  You aren't going to go after any moose with that one, are you?

Erud
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wow, that looks pretty nice, how does it shoot?  You aren't going to go after any moose with that one, are you?

Erud

Hell no
Its a caribou gun only
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#13]
About the time I started putting the pieces together for the 204 I had problems with taking a wolf with a 223 and started building all the 6 somethings in gas guns.  I had orginally fantisized about using the 204 for wolves but gave up on it and decided it would be great for fox and maybe wolverine if I could find a fur friendly load. I shot about everything I tried into 1/2" and was flat as a laser. Liked it but have had so many gas gun diversions (6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 260 AR10) that to be honest I haven't had time to shoot it.  I try to keep the shooting down in my back yard range in the winter as I literally hunt wolves there also. Very satisfied with quality of work, turn around time, and price from WOA.
Regarding investment stragety I just moved 300 air miles away from the road system. Only go into the land of taxes, traffic and brown air once a year and it helps a lot on pocket money. Have never figured out what an old retired fart like me would do in a urban area without a hell of lot of bail money.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:26:05 AM EDT
[#14]
got a prairie dog rig upper coming from superior arms.  can't wait to get it.

i've read some good things about the .204 recently.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Randall,

Do you ever plan on offering the same barrel in 20 Tactical chambering?
The 204 Ruger sounds great and all, but would just as soon stick with 223 brass.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Randall,

Thanks for the reply.
At 2 requests a year, I wouldn't do it either. No one can have tooling collecting dust.

I see your reasoning. I guess I just like to be different. I run a 9x21 instead of 38 Super like the other cookie cutters. No problems, and that one I had to ream myself.
I haven't bought factory ammo in 20 years, really. Reloaded maybe 20 to 22,000 rnds of 10 calibers, don't know anymore.

If I was shooting BR, 200 pieces of brass might mean something. But varminting, you'll need 500 loaded for an afternoon and 500 being processed all the time. Take a thousand loaded for the weekend and lose 10%. And all those costs get divided down to nothing after 5000 through the tube. Spending a little money on dies is not much different than buying groceries or other consumables. Once that money is spent, don't look back, you'll never see it again anyway. The ammunition is nothing, unfortunately for me, it's the cost of the barreling that makes this project unfeasable.

(A buddy bought the 243 WSSM last year, a buck apiece for factory rounds so he could turn them into empties to reload. Not for this kid, even if the 204 is only .65 each. Anyway, smart alec is pushing 55gr pills at 4150 or so and putting the 223 to shame. Well, we're not going to put up with that.)

As for any disadvantages, it's true the 204 Ruger holds 3 grains (10%) more, yet couldn't yield more than a 1 or 2% velocity increase. If any load reports are to be believed from either side, the 20 Tac is so close in velocity, you'd never know the difference. I think that's one of those things one can never truly know until they've personally had one of each and ran them over the chrono. Never take anybodies word for it and prove it to yourself, YMMV, type of thing,

There's no denying the 20 Tactical is a perfect fit to the AR magazines and intuitively will feed better. I still think it's a great idea for a cartridge in the AR platform, I just learned about it too late and it never took off to be chambered by anyone as a common offering. I like the 204 also, but would get that in a bolt gun. Looking at the Rem SPS, perfect for coyotes and fox.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:55:16 AM EDT
[#20]
If you reload and plan to shoot a lot, I would favor the 20 Tactical and use .223 brass.  Last year myself and a friend went to South Dakota prairie dog shooting and fired 3,500 rounds of Tac20 in 3 days.

I won't screw with doing the math here, but that would have been very expensive using new 204 Ruger brass.  I just use LC cases and only load them once.  No need to chase down your spent brass unless the land owner wants it picked up.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:37:03 AM EDT
[#21]
That's a lot of dogs!
Where did you go, Pine Ridge/Rosebud?
Bud and I go to Standing Rock since it's only 200 miles West. We drive out at O'dark Thirty and hit the BK for breakfast, then across the river and in place by 7:30-8:00. They're not heavily infested there (we seem to be making a dent), but still plenty of shooting. Last year, we also grabbed turkey tags at the same time.

Have you chronoed your Tac loads? I'm curious to real world velocities.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Used to live in SoDak and spent many a hour creating triple flippers and red mist and even more hours reloading. If I had that kind of varmint hunting available or any other kind that allowed that volume my choice would of been of been a 20 tactical. The only justification I could see now is it fills the "I don't have one of those niche".
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Does any one want to buy my AR-15, I need some money

Quoted:
What do you think?  As far as I can tell, Les Baer is the only company making one, and sadly, I don't make Les Baer kind of money.  I would sure like to find an upper from a reputable mfr in this caliber.  Does anyone else make or plan on making one?  My dad is talking about prairie dogs in SD this summer, seems like this might be a good tool for the job...

Thanks,
Erud

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#25]
It was in Pierre SD.  With Willie Vorak - Jim River Guide Service.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:07:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Randall is building me a .204 upper right now. When I get it I will post a full review of it...
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top