Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 6:08:07 AM EDT
I have a buch of RRA's AR's and really looking hard for a .308.  I do like the fit and feel of the AR style so I had Bushmaster on my short list because they take the readilly available FN mags.

But it seems BM is getting out of the .308 market.

I like the FN style also, I have a bunch of FN mags so this too is a logical choice.

What about the DPMS carbine I just read about in the latest NRA magazine?  I read a lot about the DPMS rifles in the AR forum, some of which is negative.  

What is their reputation in the .308 caliber?  Also do they use a properitay magazine?  I have over 20 like new FN mags that was given to me by a good friend, so it would be good to try to use these.  But the DPMS price is attractive.

Thanks,

77Bronc
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#1]
all the 308 ARs have there pros and cons, just like their 5.56 little brothers,  most are easy fixes and can be done by yourself

dpms is a good rifle that has a really goood price but the mags are about thirty dollars

armalites are also pretty good, and come with a liftime warrenty andare about a couple hundred dollars more than a dpms and use m14 mags, and will be putting out a new mag just like dpms did for their weapon, i am assuming the price will be simalar

bushmaster couldnt get the fal mags to work in their model and ended up break bolts for  few hundred dollars more than the armalite

FAL's good reliable weapon that you could find from anywhere from 700 to 1400, realy depends on the quality of the parts that your rifle will be using?

it really depends on what your are hopping to accomplish with your new rifle,  is it going to be a budget shooter, if so go for a cheep FAL , anything more you may want to give the AR a try

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had a FAL and sold it to fund my new DPMS project, Mrs. Claus funded the rest, the FAL is a excellent rifle especially the STG58 that I had from FAC but it seems with the new Goverment rules FAL Builds are getting harder to get DSArms makes a excellent rifle but not sure if the STG is still avail the other models they have are around $1200-1400, Bushmaster as stated is not makeing 308's because of design and Armalite is big bucks (really !!!!! nice) so I opted for the DPMS 18" Panther and have been really pleased
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#3]
DPMS' are nice and are a good value. The Armalites are a bit more but they are a bit better finished - Armalite is producing their own mags now - about $35. DPMS mags about the same. Too bad about Bushies - the last one seemed to have the bugs worked out but they were pricy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Final Option has the best prices for DPMS rifles.
Special prices for AR15.com members.
Let him know where you hrear it from.
Tony Caspers is his name.
FINAL OPTION
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked everything about my Armalite except the trigger.  Compared to the fcm in my RRA the Armalite was just awful.  Put a RRA NM setup into the Armalite and it is like a new rifle.  However, the DPMS upper in stainless is quite the accurate shooter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#6]
DPMS is the current Best Buy in AR styled .308 semis.  For under $1k, you get a MOA shooter(if we're talking about their heavy barrel Panther rifle), or for about $1300 you get their AP4 which is an M4 on steroids.

I may be prejudiced as I own and LOVE my DPMS .308.  With the addition of a RRA 2 stage trigger it is sub-MOA with Fed 168GM ammo all day long.  And with a couple Knights Arm 20 round mags, I can place ALOT of .308s very accurately in short order.

ps.  Had the DPMS 20 rounders and wasn't impressed.  That was a year ago so perhaps they've improved the mag....see archives for my previous wirte-ups on purchased and returned DPMS .308 mags.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had the AP4 for a couple of months now and love it.  The trigger has gotten progressively better and the thing is accurate.  The mags seem nice, but I find that they work better as 18 roudners than 20's.  I have heard that they will loosen up some over time.

My biggest gripe is the length of the flash hider.  I am looking at an A2 or Phantom to take some length off the gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
rlord, whered you see a dpms upper in stainless?  ive only seen the .223 lowers in stainless, and the .308 steel upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top