Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/6/2005 6:36:24 AM EDT
OK gang...there are several threads going here about this .308 Carbine from DPMS. I have been window shopping for one for the last 3 months or so. It appears to be a well put together rifle. For those who own one I have some questions:

1) I am a lefty...and would like to add an ambi-selector and possibly an ambi mag-catch. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know if it can be done? Are the parts from a standard AR interchangeable (not all obviously...but the parts mentioned)
2) I'm not a terribly big fan of the plastic M4 style collapsing stock. Has anyone replaced the factory stock with something different?

Thanks!!

Adam
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]
If you call or email DPMS, they can and will answer all of your questions.  A+ for their customer service.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a DPMS .308 LR 18".  I have the telescoping ACE stock on it.  In fact, I ordered it from the factory that way.  If you are going to spend a day at the range the rubberized pad is nice with .308.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is the info exchange with DPMS...high marks for a rapid response!!

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: ap4 .308

Gentlemen,

Take you time answering this...I just had a few questions. I have been window shopping your AP4 .308 Carbine at a few of my local dealers (I am in Illinois) and I had some questions that they haven't been able to answer effectively.

1) I am a lefty...and should I purchase one of these AP4s I would like the ability to install some lefty friendly controls. Do you make any? Do some of the aftermarket parts out there fit? (Selector switch, Norgon Ambi-Catch, Extended Bolt release, etc.)

2) Can the gun be had with an 18" barrel rather than the standard 16"?

3) Ordered as a flat-top (including front sight block)?

4) Or...can I pick and choose options to have one assembled from scratch and still stay competitive on price? (meaning I don't get crushed on a markup for a "special order").

Best,

Thank you for contacting DPMS in regards to our 308AP4 rifle.

We do offer the ambi selector switch and also the extended latch for the charging handle. We do not have the tactical bolt catch that will work with the 308 correctly.

The AP4 is only available in the 16” barrel.  The 18” is a bull barrel model.

The AP4 comes with the A3 style flat top (with detachable rear sight), we can install a 1 rail gas block that will accept a detachable front sight.

This is something that can be built to order if you would like.

The suggested retail price for the 308 AP4 with all these upgrades (minus the front detachable sight) is $1349.00

If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself.

Thank you,

Shane C

DPMS Sales

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to pad my own post...but I got more answers if anyone is interested...

Shane,

Thanks for the rapid response!!

Some minor quick ones:

1) Does the Norgon Ambi-Mag Catch fit?

2) Can the 18" Bull barrel be placed on the AP4? (Special Order perhaps?)

3) If so...can the end of the Bull be turned down and threaded for a flash hider?

Thanks again!!

Adam,

I have done some research and the Norgon Ambi Mag catch will not fit the 308 rifles. They are to long.

The 18” rifle can be built with the A3 style upper (extra $79.00). This barrel can be threaded on the end to accept a flash hider ($50.00)

If you have any questions please feel free to contact us,

Thank you,

Shane C

DPMS Sales
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the DPMS carbine offerings here. Might be what you are looking for.

John was an early proponent of the DPMS rifle, and used to be a KAC dealer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks! He is definitely going the same direction I am thinking with these carbines.

I think it would be pretty sweet to get the A3 upper receiver, mated to an 18" Bull, turned down for a FH/MB, with a free float quad rail....a nice multi-role .308...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Bull Barrel is a bit heavy for me to swing around, but it can be fluted to reduce weight. and that could match the AP4. I don't really know what will the extra 2" would do, some says extra 100 FPS per inch. If you need the extra fps then fluted 18" is the way to go. I have an AP4 and it's accurate and shoots everything. I'll be changing the buttstock to A1 soon, I hope this would not affect its performance.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I am of course just contemplating variations in my head for the sake of uniqueness. In the end I will probably just snap up one of the standard AP4s and be done with it. Lots easier...lots cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, there's a review of the DPMS AP4 308 M4 style 16" in the Feb. 2006 issue of SOF.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#10]
My Questions:

Can you mount a standard bayonet to an AP4?
Does anyone know if they have plans for a mid-length style?
Why the chambers in 7.62Win over 7.62NATO?
Chrome lining on the horizon?

I know some don't care about these things but I shoot surplus, don't care about sub-MOA accuracy over barrel longevity and reliability. Overall heard these rifles are very nice.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top