Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/5/2005 12:19:32 PM EDT
Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.teppojutsu.com/

If you have one or know someone who does I would like to know some info.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you talked with Marty yet?

He lurks around here and has always been more than kind in the amount of time spent answering my questions.  I don't have the 500, YET, but I can tell you the quality of my 458 SOCOM upper is first rate.  

I believe that his screen name is MartytW
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the round looks awesome and the ballistics he has on the site show that this is a tremendously powerful cartridge.

I was wondering about recoil, as well as the cost to load this round

How much is the brass and is it readily available

Also I was wondering if the dies that are available are compatible with a standard thread size relaoder or if the bigger style BMG press was needed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
check out feisty rooster's site
link
theres more here but not enough for me to go all crazy over it.
i'd like to see more technical aspects of Marty's lineup on his site.

ballistic tables and loads
     terminal effects on ballistic gellatin or even wet phone books
     customer setups

hell i would like more but thats all i can ask for without being too needy
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Reloading dies fit the Rock Chucker (what I am using) but require a different threaded nut/sleeve.

Reloading data (loads) on Joe's website and we can give tailored loads

Brass is expensive ($2.75 a piece) but Joe is at 9+ reloads.  Working on a cheaper US source for brass.

Recoil no worse than the .458 SOCOM - my 308 bolt gun hurts worse.  The AR takes a lot of the sting out of it, I have a Savage 110 FP Tactical in .500 P and it does snap back at you, but so does the .300 Win Mag ....

Loading this round can get costly with 750 Amax, but not as bad with the GI stuff (M8 API)

Gel tests or phone books - think of it this way, same projectile as the 50 BMG.  Find out at what distance that bullet is traveling 1000 fps and ask for AAR of actual engagements with the 50 at that range .... heck, we have shot 975 gr cast lead at 1000 fps from this beast, I hate to get hit with that no matter what.

Customer set ups - all the requested uppers came with pretty much the same request - "We want it  just like the one on the website"  In addition to the ARs, there are two Savage 110s out there, one a 24" lothar walther barrel, the other a 16" PacNor and one Rem 700 with a 16" GI barrel ...

Just got an order for one on the DPMS LR upper, A3 flat top style with 4 rail hand gaurd.  Think of the SASS Rem/DPMS that was shown at SHOT 05 and now rebarrel it to .500 Phantom .....
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Customer set ups - all the requested uppers came with pretty much the same request - "We want it  just like the one on the website"  In addition to the ARs, there are two Savage 110s out there, one a 24" lothar walther barrel, the other a 16" PacNor and one Rem 700 with a 16" GI barrel ...

How much is a upper just like the one on the site?

How do you get the right lower, Kinda new at this stuff

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much is a upper just like the one on the site?

How do you get the right lower, Kinda new at this stuff

IIRC the lower used is an AR10 lower.  I am interested in price also.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]

IIRC the lower used is an AR10 lower.  
How much are these lowers? Are they available in the equipment exchange section?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You can get an Eagle Arms (made by Armalite) AR10 lower from Quantico Arms www.quanticoarms.com for 275 stripped upto 500 for NM trigger

Chris
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#9]
We can build uppers for both the AR-10 and the DPMS LR series.  The ones for the AR-10 will be more expensive as Armalite tends to run higher cost.  STARTING price for an AR-10 upper is $1250, for a DPMS is $1000.  From there, the sky is the limit.  We can also retrofit your existing upper with a new barrel and some modifications.  This would be about the cheapest route to go.  You then have to option to sell your old barrel or do something fun with it like rechamber it in 30-284 (you get 30-06 performance without 30-06 length ...)

All you need is either an AR-10 lower or a DPMS lower......
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I was looking at the ballistic charts on the site for the phantom.

What is the advantage in a heavier bullet weight if it takes so much energy away?

I am just learning and was curious would the lower grain bullet be more devestating that the higher grain bullet?

Seems to me it would when the lower has higher FPS and energy.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The really heavy bullets do not shed much velocity over the entire trajectory.  The lighter, faster ones have more energy at the muzzle but shed velocity.  As range increases, they reach the same velocity as the heavy ones, at which point the heavy ones have more retained energy.

Think of a race car and a train both getting the same initial amount of energy imparted.  The train starts moving slow and continues to coast.  The race car starts off fast but slows down faster too.  At some point they are about traveling at the same velocity.  I think I would take my chances with the race car.  With the locomotive, no way .... make sense?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Not so sure this gun would be much cheaper that the 50 BMG by the time you get everything setup and ready to roll.

Initial cost of the 500 Phantom would be cheaper but I think the rounds would be comparable in price if you handload.

Dies for the phantom are 165.00 according to CH4D I emailed them yesterday. Brass is expensive also

Lee makes a BMG loading kit for 225.00 complete and ready to load.

wish I had money for both.

Someone help me make up my mind please I can not do it on my own

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone has a 50BMG, how many people have a 500 Phantom?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:22:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I understand your point but how about dollar per ft\lb of energy?

Also what if this cartridge does not become popular. (I think it will be a hit)

plus you can buy military surplus BMG at gunshows in my area

Although the 500 Phantom is easy to carry around which makes it much more versatile.

Just comparing the two thats all
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm confused......50 BMG and .50 Phantom are 2 completely different beasties. An apples and watermelons comparison. Next theing you'll be wondering whether .50AE is a better bet.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the phantom is a very cool gun. It will actually fit in my safe.
I think it is a better choice of the two!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

also, you can't suppress a 50BMG as well as a 500 phantom.

basically it saves the user having to go through all the trouble of silencing their massive 50BMG, nomatter what the delivery method (bolt action, cobb 50, ect). You get the same results cause the projectiles being sent are identicle and since they are subsonic they have the same external ballistics. But now you have a smaller rifle to handle instead of a massive 20-30lbs BMG.

(edited after spell check)
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top