Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 11:17:57 PM EDT
Is it possible/advisible to shoot bulk lead bullets through my 458 SOCOM?  I was at the Sportsmans warehouse over the weekend and the price can't be beat.

Any thoughts?
Chris
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Some one in this forum was loading 400gr lead bullets for there Beowulf and was having good luck with it . I don't remember who it was .
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
While you can it is not advised in a gas operated system.  There will be small amounts of lead that will be deposited in your gas block and gas tube and if not cleaned will eventually lead to problems.  This was told to me by both Marty and Tony when I first got my .458 SOCOM.  I asked because I shoot a lot of .45-70 and .458 Winny and have thousands of cast bullets to play with.  Since I do not relish the idea of breaking down the gas system after every outing I decided to stick with jacketed bullets and advise the same.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Big

Sounds like its just better to stay with the jacketed bullets.  

Chris
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I plan on trying cast in my Socom.  Running a cleaner down the gas tube shouldn't be a problem , nor cleaning the bolt.  Of course, you might just be able to run a few jacketed load through the gun after shooting cast, to help clean it out.  Kind of like running a few 5.56 loads through your suppressor after shooting 22lr through it to help clean it out.  SRT recommends this with their suppressor and it might help doing this if you plan on cast bullets.  Would recommend gas check bullets if you do.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
What about using a Berry,s 350 gr plated?  I have some for my 45/70 but have not used them yet.  Has anyone tried these in the 458 SOCOM?  Seems like an inexpensive plinking bullet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 11:10:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about using a Berry,s 350 gr plated?  I have some for my 45/70 but have not used them yet.  Has anyone tried these in the 458 SOCOM?  Seems like an inexpensive plinking bullet.

I heard the the plating on the Berrys seperates from the bullet over XXXX FPS, maybe myth, maybe true.  My local supply dealer reccomended not using them in the 458
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
When I have a chance I will load some of the Berry's 350 gr. in my 45/70.  I will fire them over the chronograph and see what velocities I get.  I will also call Berry's and see what speed they suggest as an upper limit.  I know they put thicker plating on their rifle bullets.  To my knowledge they sell 30 carbine, 7.62x39 and 30/30 projectiles that must endure similar velocities.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have played some with the Cast Performance 300 grainers.  These are gas checked, very premium lead bullets, designed for penetrating most anything.  I only put 20 or 30 rounds through mine, and did not see any unusual buildup on the bolt or carrier.  One thing that makes me a little leery for my hunting applications is the amount of "smoke" that they make.  It is actually a combination of the lead and lube.  It's a little distracting for hunting, imho.  They are a little high priced for plinking, so I am not sure if I am gonna thoroughly ring them out.  Accuracy appeared to be good, and they did not lead the barrel.  

Craig
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top