Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:35 AM EDT
Just put the first 40 rounds through my new 24".  I mounted a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44.  After boresighting the scope I took it to the range.  The first 10 rounds were fired from 1 round magazines (20 rd. steel loaded with 1 round).  The first three shots were MOA, high and left.  I adjusted the scope, and fired three more rds.  Just out of the black, MOA.  Another adjust, and everything else went in the black.  One five round group was .450"!  I was shooting off of a POS plastic stand.  Function was perfect for all 40 rounds, although I only loaded a max of 5 rounds in the mag.  All rounds were at 100 yds. using Federal Gold Match 168 grain and Remington Match 168 grain.  I won't have a chance to shoot at longer range for a couple weeks, but this thing can only get better with complete breakin.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:35:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed!

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got mine yesterday and I need to put a quality scope on it because a $1000 rifle deserves one, if for no other reasonhat
Just for the record I've never cleaned a rifle after every shot and probably never will.  Either way nice grouping!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks Marine!  I'm pretty proud of that group.  I don't follow the 'break in' instructions.....ever.  They might as well call 'em 'wear out instructions' because all it does is erode the sharp edges of the rifling faster.

I clean the bore thoroughly when I buy a new or used gun, then go shoot the hell out of it.  The bore gets cleaned with a boresnake and some copper solvent about every 100-200 shots, but that's about it....speaking of which, I shot it yesterday and it's awaiting some TLC.  Good thing modern surplus isn't as corrosive as it used to be.

(btw, this particular rifle has a little over 3000 rds thru it now, and it's shooting as good or better than it did new)
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]

I clean the bore thoroughly when I buy a new or used gun, then go shoot the hell out of it.  The bore gets cleaned with a boresnake and some copper solvent about every 100-200 shots, but that's about it....speaking of which, I shot it yesterday and it's awaiting some TLC.  Good thing modern surplus isn't as corrosive as it used to be.

(btw, this particular rifle has a little over 3000 rds thru it now, and it's shooting as good or better than it did new)

Like wise, I use the bore snake, its cool and very easy to use you dont need all those patches and rods.

I love my DPMS, talk about power and accurate.

I have a Millette scope on mine, it came with it and sweet it is !  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top