Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 10:16:23 PM EDT
Hey guys, I think I've been bitten by the Beowulf bug; I gotta have one of these!   I'm probably going to just get an upper and use it on a lower I already have.   Looking for opinions on the muzzle brake.   Not sure if I should order an upper with the brake already installed or if I really need it.  I dont plan on doing any hunting with it;  mostly just for fun.  I'm not sure what to expect for how loud and how much recoil these things have.   The biggest things I have to compare it to would be my 12guage 870 or my FAL carbine with a DSA muzzle brake.   It seems some of you guys have been waiting a while to actually get your Beo's ; Any recommendations for where I should order mine (overmatch upper) ?  Thanks for any info you can give a new guy!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought mine from Cabela's in Kansas City.  I love it.  So far I have only used it on my M-4gery lower with collapsible stock.  It will bruise your shoulder without a pad.  Lots of fun to shoot and very accurate.  I had Tromix make me a custom A1 flash suppressor that makes the gun look even more cool.  I am currently putting a Predator P-9X rail system on the gun.  I will try to post pics soon.

I originally ordered my Beowulf from competitionshootingsports.com but the back order was 6 months long!!!  

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey thanks for the reply.   I live in a state where we still have a permanent AWB so I cant have a flash suppressor.  Either a permanently attached muzzle brake or nothing.   The extra lower that I have has an ACE full length skeleton stock on it with a rubber butt pad.  Hopfully that will be sufficient.  I gotta check with my dealer to make sure he can get ammo for me too.   Private citizens cant order ammo through the mail in my state.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
think its gonna be really expensive for you if you cant purchase/mail order ammo, are you allowed to reload?

i purchase my ammo factory new and pay about $1 a round so you would have to pay about that much plus mark up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
AR-POOR,
what wasthe price you had to pay for it at cabela?
thanks
Scamp
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They tried to charge me $680 for a display model.  My friend made a scene and the Cabela's guy marked it down to $550 by accident because he was so flustered.  Their mistake.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Evo,
I'd opt for getting the AA brake. Once it's on there, it is on there.
As for facotry installedor do it your self I'd just compare the prices. If it's cheaper, do it your self it's not hard to do.
The ace stock will work just fine with a good butt pad.
Recoil isn't as bad as you would think (maybe I''m just used to it )
To me it feels between the 20ga - 12 ga shotgun recoil.
And I'm using a vltor A2 stock with no pad.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#7]
What state do you live in where you can have ammo shipped in?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I went ahead and ordered an Overmatch upper with out muzzle brake.   I couldnt find a place that had one instock with a brake on it so I figured I would just just try it with out and I could always put one on later.   I should have it by the end of the week.  Next step is getting ammo.  My local dealer is a pretty good guy so I'm hoping he doesnt "kill me" on marking it up over retail.  Hopefully he'll just pass on what ever his cost was plus sales tax.   MA laws suck big time.   If I do decide to put the brake on; what does it entail?  Does it have to be heated up or anything?  Thanks guys for the info.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Evo,
The brake is beyond easy to do.
If you order it , it comes with every thing you need except a hair dryer or a heat gun.
You just sand down the finish to the first step on the barrel,degrease the inside of the brake and the barrel.
then apply the adhesive agent supplied in the kit per the instructions, slide it on, tighten the set screws then heat it up till it's hot to the touch and bam, 72 hour cure time and you are ready to rock.

ETA: as long as you follow the instructions you won't have to worry about it coming off.
I forget how many thousand pounds of force it's supposed to take to remove once it's cured.

ETA again: and you know pics in the picture thread are a mandantory requirement right ?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I called the guys at JP and they said theirs works quite well, if you can put 200$-250$ down on the shipping, stripping, and installing. 250$ would buy losts of ammo too!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
install the brake, i noticed a bit of difference with the brake compared to it without.

i paid almost $900 for my complete beowulf rifle in entry form.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I got one!  I ordered a 16 inch overmatch upper from Midway USA last monday and got it 2 days later on wednesday.  Price wasnt bad.  I didnt care about finding the lowest price since I didnt want to wait 2 months to get it!  I got the second to last one they had in stock; they are now on back order.  I put an Eotech on it for now until I figure out what sights/optics/rail forend I want for it.  More importantly I need ammo!!!  I mentioned earlier I cant order ammo through the mail in my state.  I've contacted a couple local dealers to order it for me but haven't heard back yet !   I've never been hunting and no rifle hunting is even allowed in my state anyway so I'm not too picky about what ammo I can get; I'll take anything at this point! :)  I'm pretty happy to have it and can't wait to shoot it!  I went to a gun show yesterday and all I got was funny looks from the ammo dealers when I asked about .50 beowulf.   I'll figure something out.  

http://www.cqbarms.com/photos/albums/userpics/Beowulf0007.JPG
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#13]
ARGH!!!
That is sweet!  I'm one of the people on a list, damn it.
That pic of your rifle has given me a perma-grin and I cant stand waiting now.
I was doing fine but now it realy stinks having to wait.

Kind of bitter sweet, you got your rifle but no ammo, what a roller coaster that must be.

Nice build!!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top