Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 8:04:15 AM EDT
Well, y'all know that I'm no newbie - to guns or to this board.  And I'm not new to .308s, either - I have an FAL, a "G3" clone, and several bolt-actions (heck, I've even got one of those French MAS .308s ).  But I've never had an M1A or a .308 AR, and one or the other will be my next new rifle (probably my Christmas present from my wife) after the SEBR - so please forgive my newbie-like questions here...

I've shot a "traditional" M1A and a basic AR-10 in the past and liked them both.  The M1A really appeals to me from the standpoint of aesthetics and history, but I am intimately familiar with operating ARs (the AR is my very favorite rifle platform - the unpcoming SEBR will be # 25 for me... ).  So I find myself really torn on this one and I don't want to exercise the "GET BOTH!" option - some of you may remember that I cut way back on the gun-buying recently...

So I'd like to hear from those of you with a strong preference for one platform over the other, and/or those with a strong preference for one brand of .308 AR over the others - what would you recommend and why?  I understand the magazine issue has been a deciding factor for some in .308 AR choice, but I don't really know what the differences/issues have been.  I know I'm probably asking things here that are well-covered territory (and I don't usually do that), but I'm hoping that some of you who know a little bit about me and are well-versed in this area can steer me in the right direction.

FWIW, I will probably choose something "short & tactical," whichever way I go - i.e., a Scout or SOCOM from the M1A family or a 16" CAR-ish .308 AR (I have plenty "long-range" rifles, in .308 and otherwise).

I am leaning slightly more in the AR direction, which is why I posted this here instead of over on the M1/M1A Forum.  

Mods: If this is entirely inappropriate for this forum, please lock/move as needed and I will certainly understand...
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm a little biased towards the Armalite AR10 because mine has been such a good rifle...lifetime warranty, chrome-lined and excellent customer service.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:09:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 10Tc that has been nothing but the best for me.  With that being said, if I was looking for another 16" 308 I would go with the SOCOM

Chris
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
i have had my bushmaster 308 for about 6 months now, and it is a beauty.  no problems so far.  it was a tough choice for i was in the same boat you were in.  i do want to get an m14 type rifle in the future.  my advice, get the one you want first, because you know you are going to end up with both!  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=186079&page=1 for a nice M1A scout.

I have a bush rifle fitted with a scout mount and Aimpoint. Outstanding shooter, reliable and accurate. ZERO jams in 2 years use and lots of rounds down range.

I hear of more problems with AR10s, especially carbines. My own AR10 carbine was good once I sorted out some magazine issues.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top