Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2005 5:14:24 AM EDT
I bought the solid handguards with my rifle because I don't like the DPMS 4 rail that you can get from the factory.  What are my options for full rails for my DPMS?  Can you give me a list of companies that make one so I can check them out?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
It never hurts to look around and see if some one else already asked the same question, and they did, in this forum about 10 down from the one you posted.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=248146

Matt
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#2]
sorry about not searching, thanks.  Problem with the search on this forum is that I only have access to the last 30 days, lame.  Many of the searches I have conducted don't bring return much if anything at all for that very reason.  I guess you have you pay to get the full benefits?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I bought the solid handguards with my rifle because I don't like the DPMS 4 rail that you can get from the factory.  What are my options for full rails for my DPMS?  Can you give me a list of companies that make one so I can check them out?

What is it you dont' like about the DPMS rail?  

Several folks have said they don't like it, but no one has said why.  

I was planning on buying one, but if it really sucks, I won't...but if someone could mention why they don't like it, I would find it helpful.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
It is made by YHM, and if you have read any thing about AR15 railed forends YHM is in the second tier from the discursions I have been in.  I also heard a lot of bashing of them, that is YHM and did not understand why.  After some questions to C4grant he explained to me that he had seen calipers put the rails and they do fall out of the 1913 standard, one some rails...not all of them.  That means they can not hit a consistent number on the spec as the make the rails.  For some this is good, for others it is not.  I think the attachment point to the barrel nut is not the greatest, maybe some one could elaborate more on this.

Matt

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Matth3wdean, thanks for the reply.  I had also heard that YHM made the DPMS tube, so I called them.  They said they do NOT make the DPMS tube, fwiw.  

I have 4 Yankee Hill tubes on various of my ARs, 2 lightweigths and 2 customizable, and I've had no problems with them whatsoever...as a matter of fact, what made me really interested in the DPMS railed forend was the thought that it WAS made by YHM.

It is true that a Tango Down vertical foregrip is hard to get on a YHM rail...I had to use a rubber mallet to get mine on there.  The problem is not the size of the rail, since EVERY other bit of picatinny rail stuff I own works perfectly on the YHM rails, it's more the shape of the rail, not the size, and it's really only in a few select applications that you'll have a problem.   The only other problem with the YHM tubes I've heard are a very few people have had trouble with the jam nuts staying tight.  I haven't had this problem myself, and there is a thread here in the regular AR forum from a guy who absolutely CAN NOT loosen his YHM jam nut on his BM upper (yes, the mighty Bushmaster uses YHM accessories!).  

I'm leaning now towards just keeping the standard tube on my .308...it's half the weight of any of the railed forends, and lightening the rifle is the main reason I'm getting the barrel work done, so it doesn't make any sense to add another 10oz to the rifle just for looks...I've already got the bipod stud mounted, and that's really the only accessory I need right now.  It might make sense on a carbine style rifle; now that DPMS sells everything for the entire .308 series seperately, I will probably do a carbine upper build within the next few months.  At that time, I guess I'll revisit the railed forend issue.    

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
FYI: the standard DPMS tube and barrel nut weigh 16.1 oz, a Laure 13.2 w/ barrel nut 18.75 oz and DD 12.0 16ish oz w/ barrel nut also the SWS E1 tube with barrel nut is 18ish oz.  So by no means are you adding a pound, you are keeping the same weight but gaining so much more.  All weights are for .308 series rifles.  I personally don’t consider Bushmaster a standard to be measured by.

I am not a big fan of the TD VFG as a “spec” tool for rails, so that is when Grant said calipers had been put to them and they do fall out side the spec.

Matt

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FYI: the standard DPMS tube and barrel nut weigh 16.1 oz, a Laure 13.2 w/ barrel nut 18.75 oz and DD 12.0 16ish oz w/ barrel nut also the SWS E1 tube with barrel nut is 18ish oz.  So by no means are you adding a pound, you are keeping the same weight but gaining so much more.  All weights are for .308 series rifles.  I personally don’t consider Bushmaster a standard to be measured by.

I am not a big fan of the TD VFG as a “spec” tool for rails, so that is when Grant said calipers had been put to them and they do fall out side the spec.

Matt

FYI DPMS offers 2 - 4railed forearms for there different uppers in both std and car length. one style has a top rail to match the higher rail on the target upper and the other has one to match there new A3 height upper[which also has a forwrd assist ,shell deflector and dust cover] it is also narrower side to side than any 4-rail handgaurd on a AR-15 and very comfortable to hold when shooting.
I have not had any problems mounting eotechs , surefire flashlights foreward grips ect on either style of handgaurds or uppers.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

FYI DPMS offers 2 - 4railed forearms for there different uppers in both std and car length. one style has a top rail to match the higher rail on the target upper and the other has one to match there new A3 height upper[which also has a forwrd assist ,shell deflector and dust cover] it is also narrower side to side than any 4-rail handgaurd on a AR-15 and very comfortable to hold when shooting.
I have not had any problems mounting eotechs , surefire flashlights foreward grips ect on either style of handgaurds or uppers.

OK  When the guy mentioned standard handguard...he ment the POS aluminum tube that comes with the standard LR308.

DPMS made 2 uppers...wow I had no clue...

Matt
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have pics of the railed DPMS gun?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top