Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 7:55:00 AM EDT
Okay, here's the deal...I'm in the process of re-doing my .308LR, to try and make it more "tactical" and lighter.  

Step 1: Sent the barrel off to Compass Lake to be shortened to 20", and fluted.  Talked to Bunny at CLE just a moment ago, and we're anticipating a 3 to 4 POUND weight saving between the cut and the flute.  Right on!  Hopefully, they'll remember to weigh it before and after, as some folks here might be interested in knowing what the difference is.  

Step 2: Four Railed Handguard: I was thinking of the SWS one, but the price is a killer, AND I really don't like that higher top rail.  I know it matches up with the receiver, but it makes putting a big objective scope on that much harder, in that you'll need to go higher with the rings than you would ordinarily.  I can get dealer pricing on the one from DPMS, so I will *probably* go in that direction.  Only drag is with both of them, I'm adding about 8oz to the mix...but if I get 4lbs off the barrel, I won't care that much.  

Step 3: Buttstock: Right now, it's got a standard buttstock.  I'll probably go to the VLTOR club foot.  I've got that stock on another AR, and really like it...it's especially useful for bench shooting, which is pretty much all I do anyway.  Another option would be an Ace skeleton...I've got one of those as well, and I like it.  From the cheek weld standpoint, though, it's the VLTOR all the way.  

Step 4: Grip...right now, I've got the Panther grip...I'll probably stay with that, although the SPR is kinda cool as well.  

So, when the dust settles and the $$ are spent, I'm hoping I'll have a really cool rifle that I won't need hernia insurance for.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Ummm...

SWS also makes rails with a standard height rail, so does DD and Larue.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ummm...

SWS also makes rails with a standard height rail, so does DD and Larue.

Matt

hmmm...SWS's website only has one option under DPMS .308 Rifle that I saw...that's all I had to go by.  

Daniel Defens listed stuff for AR10...does that work on DPMS .308 as well?  Price is way too high for me, even if it does fit.  

LaRue a little more reasonably priced, but once again, NO DPMS stuff listed.  

If you're telling me that all AR10 and BM .308 stuff works on the DPMS, that's good to know.  At this point, though,  the DPMS is the only one that doesn't give me sticker shock.  

Over $400 for railed forend?!?  Unless Anna K. delivers it with her knee pads on, that's a tad to expensive for me.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The AR10 and BM stuff won't fit,barrel nut threads are different.But,you can order a Dpms barrel nut from SWS to install AR10 handguards.I put a KAC RAS,cut to midlength, on my Dpms carbine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just becuase companies do not list the stuff on there website does not mean they don't make it, you need to contact the company.  

I know for a fact that DD makes a DPMS barrel nut, and I KNOW for a fact that Larue does to...I know this becuase he is using my upper to pattern it.

As for SWS just request the DPMS barrel nut.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just becuase companies do not list the stuff on there website does not mean they don't make it, you need to contact the company.  

I know for a fact that DD makes a DPMS barrel nut, and I KNOW for a fact that Larue does to...I know this becuase he is using my upper to pattern it.

As for SWS just request the DPMS barrel nut.

Matt

Matt, thanks for the heads up about the barrel nut.  As for stuff on the web site, it gets tough as a consumer to try and figure out what vendor X *might* sell if it's not on their website...I obviously didnt' even think to ask.  

All my budget will allow for now is the DPMS tube, period.  I'm gonna have to sell my house and move out of the area due to escalating house payment, taxes, and health insurance.  I can buy the DPMS tube, and pay for my barrel work.  After that, every spare cent I make will go towards satisfying the house payment/county tax monster lol...2nd batch of real estae taxes--$2700--due Oct. 15.

I'd like to spring for something else, but I just can't do it right now, and I'd rather just put the rifle together in the configuration I want now and be done with it.  If the DPMS tube is so nasty that I hate it, I can probably put up with it for another 8 months or so, given how often I'll get out to even shoot the rifle, until I can finally afford to spend some $$ on upgrading the tube and the scope that's on there.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top