Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2005 4:55:38 PM EDT
I made a half hearted attempt to sell this rifle, and then decided to keep it.  

My *only* complaint is the weight...with that 24" barrel, it's just unwieldy, imho.  

I talked to DPMS on friday, and they said I could go down to 18" with no problem.  I'm going back and forth between 18" and 20".  

What do I give up in terminal ballistics between 18" and 20"?  

This gun is really just a paper puncher, I don't even have anywhere to shoot at more than 100 yards.  Based on that, I was thinking 18"...but I don't want to completely nerf it for longer range shooting if that chance comes.  

I disassembled the upper this morning, and the barrel is packed up and ready to ship down to Compass Lake for the cutting.  I figure I'll get about a lb of weight going down to 20", and about 1 1/2lbs going down to 18...plus the rifle will be much more maneuverable, even in my safe hehe.  

If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks!  

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
 I have a bull .308 at 18 inchs .I dont think I've lost anything but 6 inchs of  "get in the way " . It's still doing  3/8's at 100 .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 I have a bull .308 at 18 inchs .I dont think I've lost anything but 6 inchs of  "get in the way " . It's still doing  3/8's at 100 .

Cool...I guess the only time I'd miss the exra inches is at REALLY long range, which I never get to shoot at anyways.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top