Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:01:01 AM EDT
I just received the new Rock River Arms Dealer Catalog and they have the .458 SOCOM upper listed in there.  No price on it.  Just has a small blurb about the caliber/ballistics, available late 2005.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Got one also.  Kind of chuckled when they did'nt list a price.  I don't need another one, but I am very interested to see what RRA will want for one.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope its reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable

Good point man, Under $800 resonable. Might be a pipe dream. Actually...$600 would work just perfect for me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable

Good point man, Under $800 resonable. Might be a pipe dream. Actually...$600 would work just perfect for me.

I'd be comfortable with a price around $600, but it might be a bit of wishful thinking.  I've been thinking about a large(er) bore upper for a while, and the 458 SOCOM is the front runner.

I bet with a good price between $600-800, lots of people would snatch them up.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable

I'd be comfortable with a price around $600, but it might be a bit of wishful thinking.  I've been thinking about a large(er) bore upper for a while, and the 458 SOCOM is the front runner.

Wasn't the last group buy of .458s from Marty right around $675?

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable

Wasn't the last group buy of .458s from Marty right around $675?

Spooky

Indeed, the LAST (stress, LAST) GB was $675 for the base version, some folks got some extras installed.  You could go to our 458 SOCOM Distribiutor with uppers in stock considering the 16" uppers are listed for $705 IIRC
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I hope its reasonable.

Define reasonable

should have been in my GB on the 458 it was under 800 for sure!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]
While I love getting my stuff directly from Marty, some folks need to hold off and buy some stuff from RRA when it hits the shelves.

This buying "frenzy" will entice them to carry more things and might get them lobbying their connections for ammo suppliers, mag producers, etc.....

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Good point!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Definitely a good point.  I'm all for supporting the small guys, especially when they come up with something amazing like the 458 SOCOM, but I think getting it out there, letting it grow, and seeing how it takes off is only logical.   Proprietary never works out very well.  

Since I won't really be in the market for an upper in 458 probably until December or January at the soonest, I'll check then and see how the prices are, and make a decision then.  

I think $705 isn't such a bad price, given it's a specialty cartridge.  I do hope that someday it will be more 'mainstream', and prices would come down due to more demand and more supply.   The 458 SOCOM will really help my AR15 become a complete weapon system for me to fill a few niches such as defense, tactical matches and hunting.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Buying an upper from RRA will still support Marty and he won't be offended in the least if you buy from them.  I am talking with (Steve) Hornady about getting SAAMI registration for the .458 SOCOM, there are some hurdles there ...

I will still build custom stuff, but if you buy your 458s from RRA, it gives me a chance to work on some other wacky stuff .....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Buying an upper from RRA will still support Marty and he won't be offended in the least if you buy from them.  I am talking with (Steve) Hornady about getting SAAMI registration for the .458 SOCOM, there are some hurdles there ...

I will still build custom stuff, but if you buy your 458s from RRA, it gives me a chance to work on some other wacky stuff .....

Bring on the wacky stuff!

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Marty

What does it take to get SAMMI registered?

Chris
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Marty

Chris

Play your politics with the ammo companies(American)....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marty

Chris

Tell me about it ... it's a good ole boys club.  Only full voting members can submit cartridges for review and approval and the only way an outsider might get in there is if an ammo company smells money and wants to adopt the new cartridge.  However, they are not prone to do this if they do not get a chance to be "first to market" AND they typically want naming rights.  That makes it next to impossible for a wildcat to make it on its own as it will have to have established a following to be of interest to a large ammo company and then it will have already gained a name, etc.  Chicken and egg.  Also, SAAMI registration means its available to everyone so all exclusivity is lost and that makes it less attractive to someone who put coin into the R&D.

I will keep trying I am known for being stubborn (or do I just not get the hint?)

Wacky stuff in the works
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marty

Chris

Tell me about it ... it's a good ole boys club.  Only full voting members can submit cartridges for review and approval and the only way an outsider might get in there is if an ammo company smells money and wants to adopt the new cartridge.  However, they are not prone to do this if they do not get a chance to be "first to market" AND they typically want naming rights.  That makes it next to impossible for a wildcat to make it on its own as it will have to have established a following to be of interest to a large ammo company and then it will have already gained a name, etc.  Chicken and egg.  Also, SAAMI registration means its available to everyone so all exclusivity is lost and that makes it less attractive to someone who put coin into the R&D.

I will keep trying I am known for being stubborn (or do I just not get the hint?)

Wacky stuff in the works

O.K. Marty, gotta work on your spelling.  That is WHACK-e, in the case of your creations.  Sorry to hear what the standardization process is like.  It always disturbs me to see such pettiness in an industry that is only a few congressional seats and one White House election from being in dire straights.  Anything that promotes more shooters and more growth is good for all of us.    If we are not careful,  SAAMI might one day be standardizing rocks and sticks.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Marty-

By all means necessary, if Steve will take on the 458 as his own and submit it, it's only going to be a good thing.
More guys buying Rock river 458 uppers and there are always going to be customers for custom work...
Take 300 Whisper as an example.
Still no SAAMI approval, but we have dies and many different reamer and barrel makers and everyone pretty much gets along.
It probably has to do with everyone working from the SAAMI drawing of the 221 and then changing the neck dimension only.
Of course SAAMI adoption makes any cartridge explode as the big makers are always loooking for a new excuse to sell guns and ammo and the shooting public usually sucks up anything that's run through the marketing hype machine...

The whole exclusivety problem is what's going to finally kill the 6.5 Grendel.
Has Bill allowed anyone else to do AR uppers yet?
I saw that Cobb manufacturing lists it and the 50 Beo as options.
Things that make you go Hmmm...

Randall
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:09:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Marty-

By all means necessary, if Steve will take on the 458 as his own and submit it, it's only going to be a good thing.
More guys buying Rock river 458 uppers and there are always going to be customers for custom work...
Take 300 Whisper as an example.
Still no SAAMI approval, but we have dies and many different reamer and barrel makers and everyone pretty much gets along.
It probably has to do with everyone working from the SAAMI drawing of the 221 and then changing the neck dimension only.
Of course SAAMI adoption makes any cartridge explode as the big makers are always loooking for a new excuse to sell guns and ammo and the shooting public usually sucks up anything that's run through the marketing hype machine...

The whole exclusivety problem is what's going to finally kill the 6.5 Grendel.
Has Bill allowed anyone else to do AR uppers yet?
I saw that Cobb manufacturing lists it and the 50 Beo as options.
Things that make you go Hmmm...

Randall

This is a what Bill A wrote back in March 05

With several ammunition manufacturers about to do the Grendel thing, it will become essential that the Grendel is standardised. This will ensure that not only the performance of the cartridge is correctly met but also that there is safety for users regardless of the manufacturer or weapon.

I am currently leaning towards the CIP standard for Grendel as it will be more familiar to at least one of the ammunition companies. It is also my opinion that the CIP methodology is better suited to the pressure and volume of Grendel.

CIP has a reciprocal agreement with SAAMI so the standard is recognised within the US.

On a final note the lisencing agreements for Grendel are not intended to prohibit the diversity of manufacturers and as such they are not expensive or complicated. There is only one hard set requirement and that is that the resulting product is of good quality and performance.

I would guess that you probably have not contacted AA about making uppers in the 6.5 Grendel

Ant
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top