Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:29:14 AM EDT
Hi

Im thinking aboutiing getting a AR10 from Bushmaster just because there there only company ive heard any good about.

My problem is even though ive heard the best for them, nothing has been overwhelmly great about them. Lots of little problems like serval jams a magazine and subpar accuracy.

Anychance some oen could comment on this for me please?

Ive tried looking around but no luck, either seems to good or too slanted, or refferences to much lol

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#1]
FYI: AR10 is a trademarked of Armalite, BAR10 is the weapon from Bushmaster you are talking about.

As for the only company you have heard any thing good about, could you please elaborate.  I have a DPMS LR308 and just love it and the company stands behind it, I also know many AR10 owners who like there weapons as well.  From my experience here I would not say that Bushmaster is leading the .308 AR manufacturer, by a long shot.

Matt
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#2]

I've heard of several instances of bolts breaking on the BUshmaster .308 but have no first hand experience.

My Armalite AR10 has been a dream to own.  Have you ever asked anyone if a chevy is better than a ford?  You are going to get all kinds of answers and opinions.  Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS and Knights all make excellent products but nobody is perfect.  It is always possible that you will get a lemon regardless of who you go with.  

I would suggest Armalite based on my personal experience with their customer service and the performance of my rifle.  FWIW

Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I own one and have heard from others that the bolt has an issue but after over 1k of surplus ammo it has yet to fail me, the mag issue is of poorly maintained mags or weak springs which can be changed out and they will work fine.

I like the others but just decided that I was not going ot pay thru the nose for mags and so far my BAR10 works for me just fine.

Indian ammo and Aussi can give 3moa or less at 100 yards with a 16 inch barrel, hand loads I can get it down to 1 to 1.25 MOA or less.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I own one and have heard from others that the bolt has an issue but after over 1k of surplus ammo it has yet to fail me, the mag issue is of poorly maintained mags or weak springs which can be changed out and they will work fine.

I like the others but just decided that I was not going ot pay thru the nose for mags and so far my BAR10 works for me just fine.

Indian ammo and Aussi can give 3moa or less at 100 yards with a 16 inch barrel, hand loads I can get it down to 1 to 1.25 MOA or less.

Do you really shoot this stuff in your guns??
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really shoot this stuff in your guns??

All the time and I have a good supply of sealed ammo boxes of the stuff, never have had any problems what so ever from any of the sealed cans.

Funny part of the Indian ammo rants are that no one has ever posted a head stamp ID or lot number when they have all of these problems, all Indian I have bought has very clear head stamps.

I think many whine and never have shot any of this, all goes bang very well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought it would have been more appropriate for Bushmaster to name their BAR10s after their .223 kin.  In other words, I thought they should have named their .308s- the Bushmaster XM10.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no first hand experience with DPMS, but I've heard some good things about their .308s.

I've never owned a Bushmaster .308, so I can't speak about that specific rifle.  I do have a Bushmaster AR15, and I've had several opportunities to interact with Bushmaster's Customer Service.  In each case I was treated rudely and went away more frustrated than before I contacted them.  I ran into the exact same attitude when I met one of their reps face-to-face at an event.  After my experiences, I will never buy another Bushmaster.

On the other hand, I have 5+ AR10s, and I'm 100% pleased with every one of them.
Every time I contact ArmaLite I am treated with respect and professionalism.  Several of the good folks at ArmaLite have gone WAY above and beyond what I expected.  I've met some of them at Camp Perry, and they were friendly and gracious.  You couldn't ask for a better company to do business with, IMO.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I love my 16" flattop carbine with the full A2 stock.  Have about 500 rounds of South African and Lake City through it a the moment with zero problems.  Everyone who plays with it at the range wants one!  They are amazed how little recoil it has for a .308.  It is just plain fun to play with!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:43:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My BAR 10 has worked fine since day one. Shoots accurately 2" or so with several brands of surplus ammo - I believe the rifle would sub moa with a scope and quality ammo as I get several groupings clustered under moa and then a flyer or two in 5 round groups with the SA and Aussie. I believe it is the surpluss ammo not rifle. My general impression is that it handles and shoots equal if a bit not better with my FAL, PTR, Saiga but not as well as my M1A. It certainly "feels good" to me as an AR does and works for me when I shoot as a lefty. It will bend mouth of the brass if you are a reloader. The magazine issue is there - because some of us are lazy shooters. You need to clean and maintain your FAL magazines as they have been around for along time. Even the factory included mags from Bushmaster benefitted from a taking them apart and servicing. It is great paying under $10 for a new 308 mag as compared to my other rifles to all but my PTR ($2 HK's) and FAL.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the BAR10 and love to shoot it.  With the WinGMM it shoots MOA.  With surplus it shoots 2".  I had a bolt break at around 1000 rounds.  I called Bushy and they replaced it.  No cost.  I read that by using the mags they use,  that the 6 oclock position on the bolt may cause excess pressure and wear on the bolt causing a weakness in the system.  I was considering buying a spare bolt, but I'm going to wait to see how the current one holds up (at about 700 rounds now) before I invest any more money ($369) in the rifle.  The only complaint I have is that the mags don't drop out when you push the mag release.  I have to pull them out.
I put a freefloat forend, Chip McCormick Trigger, and a Springfield .308 scope on it.  

Bushy
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top