Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2005 7:00:02 PM EDT
Any feedback on this approach to controlling recoil. Is it worth the effort and cost over a slip on? IS limbsaver the only way to go? What size Med or Large gives a better fit?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Sissy.  

tag
CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a 458 socom and I don't think the recoils warrants a pad, 10-4 on the sissy
RR
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys... doesn't change my mind though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 3:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
thats cheating.
after about 200 rounds you will either be accustomed to the recoil, or your shoulder will just be numb.
oh yeah , sissy!!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Any effort to reduce recoil will ultimately make you a better shooter with the gun as it will reduce the tendancy we get to flinch with hard hitters; if that makes me a sissy, I'm OK with that, because I'll be a sissy that can shoot the nuts off a gnat.

I use an ARF-X stock with a 1" recoil pad, MGI rate reducer and a Wolff +10 spring, all of which makes recoil very tolerable- a 100 round range day is no worse than 100 rounds of trap shooting.

The Limbsaver is supposed to be the best in recoil pads... I can't say one way or the other. If you want it, do it and let the others with mashed shoulders cry while we're still shooting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Lion_Dog, I was kidding earlier.

I've been thinking about getting one of those RB Precision solid buttplates, fitting a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and putting that on my SOCOM.  I have an A1 length stock on there, so the little bit of extra LOP won't hurt too much.

For the short term, I've ordered a large Pachmayr slip-on pad (it was only $8.32 at Brownells).  Just incase my shoulder can't handle it.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I am trying the LMT SOPMOD {has built in recoil pad} with a tungsten carrier weight system and eventually an H-Buffer, I just want the recoil impulse to slow down a bit.

The recoil never really bother me, but damn it happened so fast....would like it to be linear and smooth.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am trying the LMT SOPMOD {has built in recoil pad} with a tungsten carrier weight system and eventually an H-Buffer, I just want the recoil impulse to slow down a bit.

The recoil never really bother me, but damn it happened so fast....would like it to be linear and smooth.

Shivan have you a PIX or LINK?
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Lion_Dog, I was kidding earlier.

I've been thinking about getting one of those RB Precision solid buttplates, fitting a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and putting that on my SOCOM.  I have an A1 length stock on there, so the little bit of extra LOP won't hurt too much.

For the short term, I've ordered a large Pachmayr slip-on pad (it was only $8.32 at Brownells).  Just incase my shoulder can't handle it.

CHRIS

I am old and soft when shooting, I am young and hard around the Mrs.!

Therefore making life easier and more manageable is important - especially shooting.

I have a 6 3/4lbs.with Kalhes 1.5x6 Scope .338WinMag shooting factory loads 200 Gr. NBT from the bench <3/4" all day long. Has recoil pad and magnaport - have killed many deer, moose and caribou and bear with it. Less recoil is always nicer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
When I was building up my lower and before I actually got the upper, I used a Pachmyer Decelerator and ground it down to fit.  I really did not like the looks of the recoil pad on the A2 stock and took it off, deciding to use it only if I needed to.  When the upper came and I tried it I found there was no need for the recoil pad at all.
However, after the AWB went away I did switch over to the M4 SOCOM Stock made by ACE.  It comes with a very soft 1" pad and does not look like it was an afterthought like the pad I made did.  If you use this stock just make sure you lock it into position.  It will collapse as a telestock so it must be fixed into position.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yup, (big sissy I guess).
I took a Bushmaster A2 OD stock (.50 Beowulf) , and shortened it so with the pad installed it is the same length as an A1 stock.
The recoil Pad is a Hiviz X Coil, which is great both in recoil control and very sticky (O- yea I didn't installed it for recoil control, it for the sticky-ness so when my body armor is cover with Zombie blood, it does not slip off, so I can continue to dispatch Zombies with more efficiency. Boy can I loose the big sissy title now ? ). I picked up the top standard mounting screw and drilled an oversize hole were the lower screw mounts, and filled the hole with epoxy before drilling a pilot hole for the screw. That way it will not pull out.  I don't use the lower sling mount anyway, I modified the upper tube, and have the sling mount pivot 180 degrees around it for left or right side usage. BTW I had to shorten the recoil spring tube (cut and weld), since I shortened the stock shorter then 'normal'.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess since I've already admitted I'm a big sissy because of .50 Beowulf recoil, I'll post my other recoil reducing mods. I took an aftermarket slipover flash suppressor, and turned my Beowulf barrel down (shortened also). Since the suppressor was made to slip over a standard barrel, then screw to the threaded end, it created a 'chock point' just prior to the flash slots. The barrel ends about an inch short of the 'chock point' so the gas expands and hits the chock point acting as a muzzle brake. The suppressor is welded to barrel to comply with minimum barrel length requirements. The turned down rear portion on the suppressor is for the front sling mount, that rotates 360 degrees, (like a FAL front sling mount). Other mods that can be seen in photos (here and above) are the front BUIS that has an added detent pin to lock it in the up position, (it would fold under recoil) and an ejection port cover (modified standard cover to work with enlarged Beowulf port). BTW no noticeable lose of accuracy due to the barrel / suppressor mod.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the suggestions.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top