Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2004 3:33:08 PM EDT
Beowulf wins!  

I loaned my Beowulf to someone at the range this afternoon and the EOTech fell off.

The screw sheared off...  I'm pretty sure that I didn't overtorque it since I didn't use tools to install it.  I didn't use Loctite, so my best guess is that the screw came loose, then all of the recoil was acting on the screw until it finally sheared it in two.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, after the EOTech fell off, I tried shooting it using the BUIS.   I have an ARMS #40L.   I shot a few rounds, then decided to flip down the long range aperture and use the short range aperture.   The long range aperture would flip back up during recoil every single time I pulled the trigger
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, it even hurt your rail!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
How many rounds did you fire, before it broke ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How many rounds did you fire, before it broke ?

About 20-30 since I installed it the last time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to hijack your thread buddy...but I was really impressed by your muzzle brake equipped WOA barrel that I need to know who made that brake...I know you already told me at the range but I forgot.

Thanks again for lettin me shoot....I owe you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I hate to hijack your thread buddy...but I was really impressed by your muzzle brake equipped WOA barrel that I need to know who made that brake...I know you already told me at the range but I forgot.

Thanks again for lettin me shoot....I owe you.

It's a Bennie Cooley compensator.  www.jprifles.com/BennieCooleyEliminator.shtml

I bought it from MidwayUSA www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/729758
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Man I'll have to mek sure Stingray sees this since he's got an Eotech on his too.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
The screw sheared off...  I'm pretty sure that I didn't overtorque it since I didn't use tools to install it.  I didn't use Loctite, so my best guess is that the screw came loose, then all of the recoil was acting on the screw until it finally sheared it in two.

Bad luck, man...
Looks like the screw came loose and got battered under recoil (the damage to the rail is testimony). I learned the hard way about Beowulf's and optics... ya gotta torque'em in place and use loctite! I had an ATN come off mine and smack me upside the chops becasue I failed to tighten the damn thing. You should be able to carefully peen the rail with a brass hammer and extrude the metal back into place and then file it back into shape.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You should be able to carefully peen the rail with a brass hammer and extrude the metal back into place and then file it back into shape.

Aleady did it...  I didn't do any filing, just peened it back more or less into shape with a big punch and a small hammer, then applied a little Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.    Replaced the screw, using Loctite this time, and it's good to go.

I'm still a little peeved about the ARMS #40L not working properly on a hard recoiling rifle though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Mini Acog's don't fare to well either
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You should be able to carefully peen the rail with a brass hammer and extrude the metal back into place and then file it back into shape.

Aleady did it...  I didn't do any filing, just peened it back more or less into shape with a big punch and a small hammer, then applied a little Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black.    Replaced the screw, using Loctite this time, and it's good to go.

I'm still a little peeved about the ARMS #40L not working properly on a hard recoiling rifle though.

You'd think the damn thing would hold up for what they cost and how they appear.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You'd think the damn thing would hold up for what they cost and how they appear.

If you're talking about the ARMS #40L, then yeah, I was shocked that it fails under recoil... I had never even considered that it might be a problem.

The EOTech  really needs a recoil lug like an Armalite or LaRue scope mount...  I guess the problem with that is that the original Holosight wasn't specifically designed for the AR-15, so if they had put a recoil lug for a mil std 1913 rail, it might not fit random Weaver rails on sporting arms.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

...so if they had put a recoil lug for a mil std 1913 rail, it might not fit random Weaver rails on sporting arms.

Hmmm.....interesting statement.  I think you might be on to something.....  Just messing with you.  

If you think of trading that 40L for a standard 40 I've got a buddy that might be interested.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:29:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:Hmmm.....interesting statement. I think you might be on to something....

Yep, I'm really smart for thinking of that problem

Quoted:
If you think of trading that 40L for a standard 40 I've got a buddy that might be interested.

Nope, that little sissy #40L will be going back onto the zero-recoil .223 with the Bennie Cooley comp where it started life :)   I'll have to find a more manly BUIS for the Beowulf.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Speaking of the Bennie Cooley comp.....Do you know anybody around here that can turn down my RRA varminter barrel and thread it to work with the comp?  

Do you think this would look right, I mean the diameter of my barrel is .920 in front of the gas block and I don't think the diameter of the comp is that big....?  It would be nice if I could get this to work out.  That gun is already like 11 lbs. so if I add the Bennie Cooley it's gonna be Niiiiiice!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:57:39 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Speaking of the Bennie Cooley comp.....Do you know anybody around here that can turn down my RRA varminter barrel and thread it to work with the comp?

Nope, I don't know anyone around here who I'd trust to do it.  I'd send it off to ADCO or KKF.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks....That's probably what I'm gonna do.  I'm gonna send ADCO an e-mail now.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top