Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 9:35:11 PM EDT
Or know someone who does?

I was looking at a place online that has one that I found rather interesting. In their FAQ's, they had an answer to the question I was going to pose here, about the power of the .50 and its effect on the AR receiver. Whether they told the truth or not, I dont know.

So, DOES it damage the receiver any with repeated firing? I would really be very unhappy if I got a .50 cal upper and later had to replace my lower because the .50 ruined it.

Anyone with experience with these uppers, please, chime in. Likes, dislikes, whether its worth the cost for a single-shot .50, whether it really has any practical use or just more of a "Fun and because I CAN!" kind of thing, whatever you got to say about it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently acquired an A.L.S. 50 bmg.

I have only shot about 120 rounds through it. So far just inexpensive (relatively speaking) Talon ammo. Mabey next year I'll start reloading.

Right now I am shooting on an Olympic lower, I plan on using a DPMS single shot lower so I can have my "magazine well" back. I live in Ca and the AW ban still exhists here. I would be more worried about dropping the rifle and crushing the lower from the uppers weight.

Kick is minimal, its the muzzle blast that you have to get used to. I have pretty much gotten used to the blast.

At a recent shoot in San Jose Ca, rifle shooter next to me stated that his Rem 700 Synthetic light weight in 300 Win Mag kicked 3 to 5 times harder. The muzzle blast from my rifle knocked his rifle over, I'm just glad his rifle did not fall off the bench.

Darran of A.L.S. has fired alot through his conversion and wins matches in his catagory at the 50 shoots. One of the best 50 shooters in the world today, Doug Joule mentioned that Darran makes a really good product and is an honest man.

My 2 cents.

Dan
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The ALS one is the one I was checking out.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:33:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here, it's also a reasonable price for what they offer as a standard upper.

I'm thinking of getting mine sometime in Dec.     I'm tempted to go with a match chamber but I suppose I'll go for the chamber allowing me to shoot surplus ammo then try to handload to get additional accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 3:31:16 PM EDT
[#4]
So far I have not had any chambering problems with the match chamber. I would suggest call and talk to Darran at A.L.S. personally. I thought the same about a standard chamber and Darran said if I plan on reloading sometime in the future get a match chamber. So far out of about 120 rounds Talon ammo chambered everytime and went BANG!
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top