Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 6:36:43 PM EDT
Hi Guys, I'm new, and just saw the AR-30 in .338 Lapua mag.  I've had a couple of AR's and was wondering if anyone has an AR-30  (or even better, Pictures!)  or has shot one.  the .338 is a  phenominal round.

Ww111
Great White North, NY
Purveyer of bullet resistant equipment
www.defenshield.com
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR30 is said to run pretty well being a solid subMOA performer out of the box, basically it's a little sibling to the AR50.

1300-1500 dollars for a repeater 338Lapua bolt action isn't a bad price either.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I had three of them and none of them shot very well.  With the very best loads they could only shoot about 1.25" for five at 100 yards.  Most groups were 1.5"+.

I was very disappointed after reading all the sub-MOA gun writer reviews.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Were yours .338?  That's a (REAL) disappointment
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Tony, you ever try it beyond 100 yards?

50BMG isn't supposed to make the greatest 100 yard bench rifle and supposedly it doesn't dampen out until after 200 yards or so with groups often tightening up with distance.

I am surprised to hear that it is not a sub-moa performer in your experience, other reports have lead me to believe otherwise.    
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
They were all .338 Lapua's.  All were shot from 100 yards.

They were from one of the very first batches shipped from Armalite and one had excessive headspace.  It had to go back to Armalite to be reworked.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a AR30 in 300 Win Mag.  Awesome gun.  On a good day a 5 shot group at 100 yards can be covered with a quarter.  With muzzle brake, recoil is very manageable.  

Considered getting one in .338 lapua (it is an awesome round) but price of ammo was prohibitive.  $60-70 for 20 rounds.  They can also be real barrel burners.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
That's why I handload...  Knock the pressure down a bit and, as a friend says all the time. "Big guns can be loaded down, little guns are always little guns"

BTW, Thanks for the info.

I saw an AR30 on Gunbroker and the starting bid was over retail. Is this as common as I it seems to be?  same with BM and DPMS stuff as well.

WW
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I got my AR 30 direct from Armalite for a discount.  Offered it to those of us that participated in 2003 SEBR to make up for all the f*ckups that occured.  Even though NONE of the problems were Armalite's fault and in my book they were already heroes for hanging in there when CCA were being total as*holes.

I would think if you're willing to hang out a while you might find one for sale on the ee thread.  I'd also be willing to bet most used ones don't have a lot of rounds through them, as ammo is costly.

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top