Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 6:11:25 AM EDT
I am new to the world of ARs, and am considering a .50AE upper to complement my Desert Eagle. I have looked over Tromix's website regarding their upper, and from what I have read elsewhere it sounds like AR mags have to be altered to work with it. How reliable is this configuration? What kind of accuracy is it capable of?

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:33:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am new to the world of ARs, and am considering a .50AE upper to complement my Desert Eagle. I have looked over Tromix's website regarding their upper, and from what I have read elsewhere it sounds like AR mags have to be altered to work with it. How reliable is this configuration? What kind of accuracy is it capable of?

Thanks,
James

Mags converted by Tony Rumore, the owner of Tromix are very reliable and work very well considering the retrofit involved.

The uppers made by Tromix are inherently accurate.  Tony uses, or used to use, match grade barrel blanks.  At 100yds my 50AE and 440 CORBON uppers touched all 5 shots from a bench using a front and rear bag.  My group opened to about 1.5" when using just a front bag.

I highly recommend that anyone who has an AR and a Desert Eagle 50AE buy one of Tony's uppers.

HTH.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
ROFL, read the shizandgiggles part of Tromix's site, it's too funny.

Awesome.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
He used to have pics of the 50AE upper shooting thru glass used on jet planes (think 2in thick hail resistant). I guess he took them off as it could be disturbing to some people.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, Shivan. I have a post-ban Colt HBAR Target model. I remember hearing once upon a time something about the Colts having a special pin that may interfere with some uppers. Is this true, or should I just be able to buy a .50 AE upper from Tromix and swap without any problems?

Thanks,
James
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, Shivan. I have a post-ban Colt HBAR Target model. I remember hearing once upon a time something about the Colts having a special pin that may interfere with some uppers. Is this true, or should I just be able to buy a .50 AE upper from Tromix and swap without any problems?

Thanks,
James

I'm not really a Colt guy, wish I could help.....the only things I could think that might create a problem for a Colt owner is if you had a large front pivot pin, you'd need an adapter for it to fit the small pin upper Tony would use.....
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top