Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 10:04:22 AM EDT
Saw a great idea from the General Discussion board about best targets, toys and loads.    I've been pretty outspoken about my DPMS 308 regarding accuracy and I was recently called out to prove my claims.  Here's what my DPMS can do off the bench with quality ammo...

DPMS 308LR 24" barrel.  168 grain Federal SBHP factory ammo.  Nightforce 5.5-22X56 scope.  203 yds according to the rangefinder from bench to target.  Center to center, this group of 6 shots is 1/2" vertical, 3/4" horizontal.  Squares on the target are 1"

Edited to fix the annoying red x
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding. There is no denying the photos. I always take pics myself. You will hear no B.S. from me on group sizes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish they'ed hurry up and put some evil features on this rifle so I can buy it before the next ban.
I'm tempted to buy the less accurate ARMALITE 308 with flash hider and collapsable stock.

How has the reliability been with this DPMS rifle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad tp hear you had such luck with the 308 DPMS I have had quite a struggle but finally getting to where I wanted, I hit 3/4" the other daywith a two stage jewell trigger installed i think the whols gun is starting to funtion properly. All  need is a fulton gas tube and a jp cpmpensator
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wish they'ed hurry up and put some evil features on this rifle so I can buy it before the next ban.
I'm tempted to buy the less accurate ARMALITE 308 with flash hider and collapsable stock.

How has the reliability been with this DPMS rifle.

My 24" has been utterly reliable with SR25 mags, not so good with the crappy plastic mags that came with it.  I got a 16" upper for it, and that's where the problems started.  I had a pretty serious short stroking problem only when using the carbine upper--it went back to DPMS for repair, and they opened up the gas port a hair...and it still had the problem.  So, like an idiot, I opened up the port another .002" (which fixed the short stroke in a WECSOG kinda way) but also gave me spent cases stuck in the chamber due to OVER gassing.  My extractor was ripping the rims off and I had to tap out the cartridge with a cleaning rod.  I fixed this with a chamber polishing an adjustable tube from Fulton Armory, but I was back to having short cycling of the bolt again.  Turns out that the bolt carrier was riding a bit lower in the reciever than on the 24" upper and under recoil it was bumping the edge of the lower receiver extension (buffer tube).  A few strokes with a fine file took care of that problem, and I've got close to 1K through it without a hiccup now.

For the REALLY good news...I just got my 16" upper back from the gunsmith with a Vortex 308 supressor on it.  SniperX (team member and sells on the equipment exchange) makes a really cool railed tube just for the DPMS.  The Armalite FSB with bayonet lug fits (only on the 16" version).  The Armalite AR10 telestock also fits perfectly...so does the RRA, but you need to replace the buffer with a heavier version, and possibly a shorter buffer spring.  (Arfcom member Slash has one that uses the original spring...I'll be ordering one soon!)

You may not be able to buy from the factory in this configuration, but with a little surfing of this site and a little tinkering...100% PURE EVIL is only a few phone calls away!

FWIW, I have a subconcious need to tinker...nothing I own is 'just right' until I make some modifications.  (I have a rusted out farm truck 87 Ranger 4X4 that I bought JUST to tinker on.  It's still an eyesore, but runs perfectly with a 91 Mustang 5.0 V8, 71 Bronco transfer case and 79 F150 C4 tranny now.  Just to give you some insight on my affliction)
If you aren't handy with tools or wanting to do any work on your rifle, the AR10T carbine would be the way to go.  If you want to get your hands dirty...I've been having TONS of fun unbanning my DPMS

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#5]
here's a pic of my DPMS with the first camo attempt...it looks better now, and I got rid of the cheezy Caldwell bipod for a Harris

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:44:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt45guy, you are an artist indeed. That looks outstanding. If I had the ability I would surely do that same treatment to a couple of my AR's. ...and everything else, just great looking paint work.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#7]
awsome camo.......................thought about it myself . The only reason I didn't was beacause I didn't want to reduce the value, but if it looks that good I'd do it for sure.

anyone out there know any good camo company
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#8]
thanks for the praise guys, but personally I thought that pattern looked like poo!  You ought to see it now!  I went with a more vertical pattern, and a more realistic color scheme.  More browns, less green and a darker grey.  I went out to the backyard with my daughter and collected a bunch of leaves, twigs and such.  (she's 5 and LOVES arts/crafts...figured that by having her help, we could spend some quality time doing something we both enjoy)  We laid the leaves and stuff on pieces of computer paper and gave a quick shot of spray paint instead of tracing...helluvalot faster.  Cut out the pattern, lay it on the rifle and give it a little shot with the color that corrosponds to the original material.  I try not to press the stencil flat because I like the edges a little fuzzy.  The base coat on this pic was ultra flat olive green, now it's uf tan.  There ain't a lot of green in the KY hardwoods in mid-late Nov.

Total time involved with the original paint was about 2 1/2 hrs...stripping it off to do it properly took awhile longer.  Soaking the barrel, upper and lower receivers in lacquer thinner overnight took off a lot of it, but there was still a bunch left...a shot of carb cleaner and it dripped off without scrubbing.  The grip and stock, I just painted over...they're both cheap plastic, and I didn't plan on keeping them anyway.  There was a good thread on how to do this over on the build it yourself forum...it isn't difficult, doesn't cost much, and if you're using cheap paint, you can change it back to original without too much hassle.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#9]

you better delete this be for SHIVAN see it
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

you better delete this be for SHIVAN see it

Good idea there. No sense in starting ANOTHER pissing contest.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow!  What great groups.  This has just sealed my decision to buy this rifle.  Now if DMPS would only get those damn mags finished and available!!!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt45guy,I have a DPMS 308 carbine.How about some pics of the 16" upper.You said the armalite car stock will fit the DPMS?Or use the buffer from Slash and you should be able to use any telestock,right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
The RRA 6 pos telestock seemed to fit fine, but my buffer was too long and wasn't allowing the bolt to fully cycle.  I tried an AR15 CAR buffer that came with the RRA, but it didn't have enough mass to slow down the bolt and it caused some funky fte problems.  I could probably get away with weighting the buffer with some lead shot, but I don't want to WECSOG this too much.  Over in the AR10 forum, there's a long (and tacked) thread regarding telestocks and what works with what.  Slash is making a tungeston buffer that is the right weight and length to use on AR10, DPMS 308 and BM308 and uses the original buffer spring--this thread is also over on the AR10 forum.

As soon as I get the digital camera up and running again (gravity still works--fell off the boat to the pavement), I'll post some pics of my shorty setup.

ETA:  I just re-read your question....I don't think EVERY telestock will fit--it will depend on the length of the lower receiver extension, and some seem to be shorter than others by about 5/8" IIRC.  The particulars are also discussed in detail on the tacked telestock thread.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Can I ask the where the best/Cheapest place you have found 168 grain Federal SBHP factory ammo is?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]

NICE  rifle  !!  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Over in the AR10 forum, there's a long (and tacked) thread regarding telestocks and what works with what.  Slash is making a tungeston buffer that is the right weight and length to use on AR10, DPMS 308 and BM308 and uses the original buffer spring--this thread is also over on the AR10 forum.

I believe the rec'r extention MUST BE 7" or longer.  The ones supplied with the RRA 6pos from ADCO are 7" inside.

The Slash buffer is PERFECT and very well priced and very well made.  I beta tested for him and I believe he knows the exact length and weight that functions perfectly in a perfectly functioning weapon.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:06:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Somebody has got to be at the top......

The (T) uppers are guaranteed to be MOA or less, FWIW.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top