Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2004 6:01:18 PM EDT
Looking for an affordable .50 for long-range practice and hunting.  Don't want to sacrifice quality too much, but on the other hand, I definitely can't spend the money that some of those bad boys go for.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Looking for an affordable .50 for long-range practice and hunting.

There is no game animal in North America (must less VA) that you should be shooting with a .50 BMG.....   If you don't have a darned good backstop, you might kill someone in the next state *after* the round passes through a elk or a moose or whatever.

The other "big bore" AR-15s (like the .50 Beowulf and the .458 SOCOM) are for short ranges.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I think telling someone that a .50 bullet will pass through a animal and travel to the next state is BS. These are the myths that get stuff banned. See-Cali/Swinestein. Many people use this for hunting, you just have to have the CORRECT bullet, same as any other gun. Anything used irresponsibly could have devastating consequences. BTW I have a AR-50 and love it. But its only a bench gun. If you want a .50 hunting rifle then go to www.biggerhammer.net and read. Lots of good info. Just realize some states have a gun weight and/or bullet restrictions. Check yours before spending money-and you'll spend a lot of it.
HTH
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Just 2 cents.  I shoot a 45-70 some.  It is cheep enough to reload, and if you can figure out the range you are shooting at and deal with excessive holdover - it can be a very accurate gun (they are used in competitions out to 1000 yards I think).  I suspect the big bores on this forum would be simular - lots of bullet drop, but probably fairly consistant drop.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#4]
fcsa.org          Best information anywhere on .50 BMG; some of the original members pioneered .50 BMG singleshots when it was generally unheard of.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think telling someone that a .50 bullet will pass through a animal and travel to the next state is BS. These are the myths that get stuff banned. See-Cali/Swinestein. Many people use this for hunting, you just have to have the CORRECT bullet, same as any other gun. Anything used irresponsibly could have devastating consequences. BTW I have a AR-50 and love it. But its only a bench gun. If you want a .50 hunting rifle then go to www.biggerhammer.net and read. Lots of good info. Just realize some states have a gun weight and/or bullet restrictions. Check yours before spending money-and you'll spend a lot of it.
HTH

A .50 BMG hunting rifle? For 4-legged critters on North America? You've gotta be kidding!
Regardless of the bullet, that's WAY over-gunned for anything on the North OR South American continents. Besides, the damn guns weigh more than 20 lbs. apiece, even the low-end single shots!
Besides that, I'm sure the "next state" comment was tongue-in-cheek.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sort of   If your backstop is sloped or for some other reason doesn't stop the .50 BMG bullet cold, it will ricochet and go a loooooong way.  If you were within a mile or so of the state line, it might indeed make it into the next state

In any case, the idea of someone shooting one at a small southern whitetail with *NO* backstop in Virginia, WHERE I LIVE, gives me the willies.   I guess you could use a .30 cal bullet in a sabot and not have any problems, but then why in the world would you use a .50 BMG instead of a .30 cal rifle?

The problems with .50 BMG ricochets are not myth, they are fact.   I'd personally love to have one, but I have nowhere to shoot one... And I have a ~500 acre hay farm in SC to use, but no way to reliably stop a .50 BMG bullet without a couple of days work with a bulldozer.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looking for an affordable .50 for long-range practice and hunting.  Don't want to sacrifice quality too much, but on the other hand, I definitely can't spend the money that some of those bad boys go for.  Any suggestions?

Just for the record, if you have a very well paying job then it's affordable.  From my experience there's not been anything affordable with the 50 BMG; it's definitely a big boy toy. Everything is big; brass, bullets, primers, large amount of powder/ round, large dies, trimmers, everything. Hence big prices due to the amount of material you're working with. Then you'll eventually want to fine tune it, larger amount of dollars for the match quality components. A higher quality scope that can withstand the recoil; Burris Black Diamonds, Leupolds, Nightforce is mandatory, anything cheaper breaks eventually. Buy quality first to avoid wasting money on the things that will break. The AR50 is probably the best bang for the buck though. On the other hand, it is a hoot to shoot. And with the inheirent(?) obligation to shoot safely and responsibly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sort of   If your backstop is sloped or for some other reason doesn't stop the .50 BMG bullet cold, it will ricochet and go a loooooong way.  If you were within a mile or so of the state line, it might indeed make it into the next state

In any case, the idea of someone shooting one at a small southern whitetail with *NO* backstop in Virginia, WHERE I LIVE, gives me the willies.   I guess you could use a .30 cal bullet in a sabot and not have any problems, but then why in the world would you use a .50 BMG instead of a .30 cal rifle?

The problems with .50 BMG ricochets are not myth, they are fact.   I'd personally love to have one, but I have nowhere to shoot one... And I have a ~500 acre hay farm in SC to use, but no way to reliably stop a .50 BMG bullet without a couple of days work with a bulldozer.

Sorry to go off like that, I didnt see a smilely and though you were talking out you a$$, I also didnt have my coffee yet. I just hate it when people only say no/don't do that, vs. have you though about this or look at it this way. Since I got mine, I have had a hoot. I even persueded my (anti .50 hunting) brother to look at it in a differnt light. Oh I mentioned this before, but it takes about 3K to get in on the ground floor. Bucks, and not the ones you'll shoot
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:44:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a .55 Boyes anti-tank rifle years ago and had it converted to .50 BMG to eliminate the class 3 headaches. I had my fun with it at the FCSA shoots. Until 2 years ago, I had a Serbu BFG .50. A fella offered me a price I couldn't refuse, so I sold it.

Bottom line? .50 BMG's are a hoot to shoot, but unless you reload, damned expensive to do so (even reloading ain't cheap!). The backstop and ricochet issues are other points to consider as well.

I like the 1/2" hole in the muzzle and the power it has; I just didn't find it practical for anything otherthan pure fun at the range. Once I discovered the .50 Beowulf, I can have my cake and shoot it too!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything is for hunting or some sports purpose. All of the dems say the same thing about AR15's. As you all know the AW issue came up in the debate and be sure to out and vote
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top