Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2004 11:44:02 AM EDT
What do you guys think I should pay for one, IF I can find one??   TIA
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thats about what i could spend, which cal. do you like?   I will be using it for elk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
All my hunting is in thick timber, shots are taken quick or not taken at all.   I'm using a 45-70 lever gun now with a 2x scope on QR rings.  Had a holosight mounted, but it sat too high for me.    This cal. is a WMD , the ballistics are only slightly better than a .458 SOCOM.    I run 300 grainers @ 2000 and it drops elk like a nuke!  I just checked gunbroker and they had a .50 Beowulf upper for 600.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I totally agree with Shivan.  I wanted the .50 Beowulf in the worst way possible, but I put my wants aside and did my home work.  In every area the .458 SOCOM is a much better performing round.  Better accuracy, never a need to tweak the magazine, MUCH larger bullet selection available, no need to use "pistol" bullets, and with the 300 gr. X bullet its down-range performance is greatly enhanced.  Even though I wanted the .50 B, figures don't lie and I went with the .458 SOCOM.  I could not be more pleased and I am not one of those guys who will tell you that it is the greatest just because that is what I have.   If it were a dog I'd tell you.  I'm not saying the .50 B is a dog, just that IMO the .458 SOCOM has so much more to offer.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#7]
My God Man Check the EE................$650 would be about right.  

Richard (have too many .458 SOCOM's)
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I will agree, (don't pass out on me now shivan)
The 458 does have a good selection of bullet weights and types available.
But there are a few rifle bullets I guess if you'd call the power belts that.(they are black powder rifle bullets)
And IIRC there is a barnes solid copper round available too. Have to check it to make sure.

I'm happy with my 'wulf and ,like shivan is with the 458, that's where my heart is.
I got a great price on my upper through the shop I work at with my brother.I paid about $640 for mine new (dealer /brother cost). That kind of influenced my decision and it was readily available.

All the big bores have something to offer, just boils down to what you're willing to spend ,what you're personal preferrence is, and what it's intended use is.

w50g

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top