Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 11:42:15 AM EDT
When stacked in an automatic casefeeder tube, the rebated rim on the 50 Beowulf locks into the mouth of the case below it, preventing the bottom case from being fed into the press.   I cooked up a brake to hold the 2cd case up while the bottom case is fed into the press.  Then, after the bottom case is clear, my brake automatically releases, letting the next case in line fall into position.

This works on both my Lee Loadmaster and Lee Pro1000.  On the Loadmaster, the brake is released by a chain tugging on it from above at the bottom of the stroke (at which point, the bottom case is clear and on the way to the shell plate.  On the Pro1000, I used a longer tail on the "brake" and have the case slider tug it to release the brake when it slides forward to insert a case into the shell plate.

I don't have a Dillon press, but I bet the same idea could be used to automatically feed .50 Beowulf cases on one.

Here's a pic of the contraption on my Loadmaster:
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn...thats cool.

My five year old daughter would never let me have the time to figure out something like that.

Very nice.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool..Where there's a will there's a way.
Especially when you want to reload faster!!!!
w50g
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have kids to pester me, so the problem got my undivided attention.   Hand feeding the brass is so annoying and slows down the process so much that I had to do something :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been wanting to get a good progressive loader.
I still do all mine on a lee single stage.
And yeah, that takes a while.
Don't mind it on the rifle rounds but gets really old really quick on the handgun stuff.
But that's a good idea on how to make it work.
have to file that one away for future reference.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:05:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Great solution for the Lee presses! With the Dillon RL550B it's a moot point, as you hand feed the case. On the XL650, it is an issue, and I haven' heard of any innovtive solutions, either.

You oughtta patent your solution for the Lee presses before someone else does....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Heck yeah, get  that patented.
Never know Could be the next greatest thing.
If I ever get a progressive I may email you to see how you did that set up.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't think it's worthy of a patent, the solution is too obvious.  And even if I could sneak it through the USPTO (much more obvious things have been patented), I don't think that there is enough of a market to make back the cost of getting a patent...  How many cartridges have straight wall cases with rebated rims?

Plus, I'm pretty sure that Alexander Arms has already invented the same thing.  I kinda doubt that they have a guy hand feeding brass to make their production ammo
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Worthy of a patent or not, It was a good idea on your part.
you wanted to speed up your loading so you found a way and the rest of us like it.
Good job.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top