Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 12:06:22 PM EDT
I was just wondering about peoples preferences for the large caliber uppers and if any modifications are needed. I saw a LW .499 at a gun show and the guy really sold me on it but I've heard stuff about the beowolf .50 as well. Any input/preferences/drawbacks would be appreciated as I am looking to buy soon.
Not interested in 50 BMG uppers comments at this time, hands down gotta have one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a Beowulf upper a few months ago and I LOVE it.  I have no experience with the L-W or the SOCOM.  
SHIVAN makes a strong case for the 458 SOCOM, and I have heard many others sing its praises.
The Beowulf offers something that the SOCOM doesn't, however, and that's a .50 cal hole in the muzzle  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got the 16" barreled version of the beowulf with the muzzle brreak.
Love mine too.  There are a pretty decent variety of projectiles in variying design and weight available for reloading but right now there's only about 3 or 4 different rounds you can get factory loaded.
Shoots fantastically.
Haven't had any experience with the socom or the LW either but have been talking with cixelsyd ( he doesn't  live too far from me) about getting to gether to compare his 458 with my 'wulf  when he gets back.
Be interesting to see how they compare side by side.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I am in exactly the same boat. I must have a big bore AR... I just don't know which one. AND I just read about and researched www.Leitner-Wise.com on their proprietary version. Their website is lacking in specifics, but from what I can ascertain the ballistics are in the .50-AE, which is not as potent as the .50 beowolf - but that is not based on cfmd ballistics.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#6]
But what is the performance like. I heard 458 socom is awesome for like CQB/MOUT but do the other calibers have more high power potential, like in hunting and other apps?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Well if hunting is something you are looking to do with it, I can say that there is some really good hunting type rounds that can be reloaded for the Beowulf.
One is a 348 gr ballsitic tip and one is a 530 gr steel tipped lead round.(classified for big or dangerous game)
These are both listed from Alexander Arms with the load data sheet  that come with the lee dies that you can get for it.
You can use them for the 'wulf becaue power belt makes them the same .499 diameter.
Barnes makes one of their X bullet hollowpoints that will work too.
There's also a relly decent variety of everything 325 jhp's up to the 530 gr steel tipped rounds.
Lots of hollow points and semi jacketed lead noses.

The factory loads,  325gr jhp is around 1900fps, the 334 gr flat nose and hollow point are both around the 1700 fps mark and the 400grainfmj's are around 1600 fps.
NO I haven't personally chronographed them myself just repeating what I have read.
If I am wrong about the fps then my apoligies.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:30:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey Shivan,
not trying to argue with you at all man.
the guy just asked a question and I'm just offering what I know.
I'm not debating the fact that the 458 has more avilable rounds ot load at all.

I think it's great that the 458 has a wide variety of rounds available.
It's good that people can get this information before they spend their money on a rifle.

Atleast they will know that whatever they buy they aren't limited to just having to buy what the factories load for them.
And know that there are options for ammo for whatever use for it they have.

I'm definitely not saying that one is better than the other either, as I have never shot a 458 I can't comment on it. I know what I've read here and what I've read in a couple magazines and it is a very impressive and versatile  round.

This is one of the best places to ask questions about rifles,optics,whatever and be able to get good answers from people who already have them.
It doesn't offend  or bother me at all if someone likes their particular round or rifle more than mine.
As long as I'm happy and satisfied with what I spent my money for.
I know everyhting has it's + and - .
w50g

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:54:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Nuff said.....no prob .
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:42:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I've had my Beowulf for about 6 months now. About the only negative I have to say about it is the cost of factory ammo., but since I reload, even that isn't a factor. I have used mine to hunt Florida feral hogs- known locally as bullet catchers for their tenacity- and have yet to have one stagger more than a few feet from where it was shot. My Remington M7 in 7mm-08, that I usually use has been relegated to white-tail deer hunting.
The largest pig killed with the'wulf weighed just over 300 lbs on the hoof.

Regarding the LW .499, the US Coast Guard uses them as serious offensive guns- as in breaking a doper's boat motor. The ballistics are on a par with the .50 AE it is based on, along the same lines as the relationship between a .38 Spl and a .357 Mag.

The .458 SOCOM is indeed a fine caliber and as sated has a ton of different bullets available, but that .50 hole at the end of the muzzle is a big seller (although if you are the receiving end, who could tell the diferrence?).

Personally, I'm saving my nickels to add the .458 SOCOM to the stable; the LW .499 doesn't hold my attention at all, and besides, I think their web-site is just a little on the snooty side.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've had my Beowulf for about 6 months now. About the only negative I have to say about it is the cost of factory ammo., but since I reload, even that isn't a factor.

Have you reloaded any for it yet ?
Just curious as I'm getting redy to start a couple test rounds.
Got some of the powerbelt aero tips to play with and might try to pick up some hollow points or Fmj's at the next gun show. Got two coming up in one in Hickory and Charlotte.

So I can save on shipping and darn ups hazmat fees for my powder and primers.

Oh and welcome to the site.

There's a lot of big bore ar owners on here. beowulf's,and 458 socoms both.
w50g
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I've already reloaded for it; factory ammo is too expensive and hard to find. I use the data AA supplies on their website, but I use Ranier 335 grain JHP's, instead of AA's 334's (those are too damn hard to get ahold of!). So far, I've had no problems with the loads.

I have had a bit of a problem loading them on my Dillon 550... the .50 cal drop tube, normally used for the .50 AE, seems to spread the case a little too much. I am experimenting with using the Lee powder drop tube with a Lee Auto-Disk powder measure that I am modifying to drop the right charge. Once I get the charge down, it should make loading them easier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#16]
My .458 SOCOM pride-and-joy:

-LS
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#17]
SWEET!!!!!!
That is kick *ss.
Can I ask how you did the barrel ? That just looks mean.
Is it threaded with the shroud screwed on ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice .
Thanks for letting me know.
Scary too, how much does it take down decibel wise?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am in exactly the same boat. I must have a big bore AR... I just don't know which one. AND I just read about and researched www.Leitner-Wise.com on their proprietary version. Their website is lacking in specifics, but from what I can ascertain the ballistics are in the .50-AE, which is not as potent as the .50 beowolf - but that is not based on cfmd ballistics.

I am fairly certain I will go with a .50ae, but upper choices w/ .45" & larger projectiles is simply amazing! I'm interested in hearing any insights & thoughts leading up to the final purchase of one of these uppers.

robotstalk
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#21]
530 gr steel tipped lead round

Where to get these projectiles?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
530 gr steel tipped lead round

Where to get these projectiles?

Hunting/sporting goods store or check outwww.powerbeltbullets.com

It and the 348 gr are from them.
I just got some of the 348's to try out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yes, I've already reloaded for it; factory ammo is too expensive and hard to find. I use the data AA supplies on their website, but I use Ranier 335 grain JHP's, instead of AA's 334's (those are too damn hard to get ahold of!). So far, I've had no problems with the loads.

I wondered if the 335 raniers would work.
Figured they would only being 1gr off.
But that's good to know, I reload the 200gr raniers for my 45acp and love them.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, I don't know much about the LW.499 or the BEOWULF .50 but I do have a .458 SOCOM.
After Shivan's posts, I'm afraid I don't have anything to add except +1 for the SOCOM!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The Alexander and Ranier bullets are the same bullet. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#26]
And also let me ask, is there not an issue with lead clogging the gas sytsem when using lead bullets like the 530 steel tipped lead projo?
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't Know,
I've never used any of them myself.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top