Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2004 10:07:29 PM EDT
This is sort of splitting hairs, but I've been looking a bit at 458 SOCOM and wonder how you gusy would classify it.

Intermediate rounds generally are the length of an AR, AK, or similar, and have a level of power between a handgun round and a full power rifle round like a 308.  I've tended to think of rounds like 30-30 and 35 Rem as intermediate.

Tromix advertises 458 SOCOM as having the energy of a 30-06 though, and I'm wondering whether you'd say 458 SOCOM should be considered full power or intermediate?  Maybe hunting uses could factor into this?

I'm trying to figure out what its usefulness would be for hunting, ie which animals.  Tromix says any on the continent, you agree?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey, IM goign to give you a big help on info right here. I am currently running a Group buy on the 458 SOCOM from the designer of the round Marty at Teppo Justu  Teppo Jutsu Site   also Tony Rumore at Tromix makes a solid upper !

Below is the link to my Group buy with info and even more links and info AR15.com 458 SOCOM group buy

and there is a thread, which has 29 pages of info loading data and all the goodies about the 458 SOCOM.  Personally, the person I have found to be very informed about this round, other then the owner Marty at Teppo Jutsu,  would be SHIVAN.  He is a board mond somewhere on here but manages to be all over the place at once.  Also others I know who have them and know tons are NoPlay, Fluxion, and I think Longshot_Va

anyways I hope this gets the ball rolling for ya.  Its late at nite and i need sleep before class tomorrow or else I would have written you a book, but these above mentioned guys can do much better then I.  I will hunt for the 29 page beast and toss it up here as well.

heres the beast thread with 29 pages stocked full of 458 goddies  458 info central
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically, it's like a semi-auto 45/70.  I can't wait to get mine!  I'm going to have a huge grin and a bruised shoulder when I finally do get it
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Once you fire a .458, the full power/ intermediate power question will will be answered loud and clear. It is definately a full power cartridge. Do not let its short stature be decieving. It has the length of an intermediate round, but the power of a full power one. Like az-ar stated, it is a semi-( or full ) auto .45-70. I couldn't agree more with Tony from Tromix. The .458 would be more than capable of taking any critters in North America, and probably most larger African species as well with the right bullet selection.  If you are considering getting an upper in this caliber, I highly recommend contacting Marty at Teppo Jutsu. He built my upper, and did an excellent job. I will be using it for whitetails, and possibly wild hogs this fall.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:01:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top