Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2021 1:38:36 PM EDT
Anyone seen an improvement in accuracy or is just a tacti cool thing for the average shooter?  I am not a long (over 300 yards).

I admit they are cool looking.  Considering one on my 20" varmint gun
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They won't do a damn thing for accuracy, but they can drastically increase comfort and stability.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
They won't do a damn thing for accuracy, but they can drastically increase comfort and stability.
View Quote

Seems odd that comfort and stability would help accuracy LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It gives you adjustable LOP, comb height and some weight. Whether you shoot better with that is up to you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#4]
For large frame precision rifles, they certainly help with balance. And as stated above, LOP and weld adjustments help stabilize the shooter. What the shooter can do with that is a different story. Probably not a necessity for <300yds.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It should help build a stable and repeatable position, which may contribute to precision.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Seems odd that comfort and stability would help accuracy LOL
View Quote

Why does that seem odd? Do you do any target shooting? Being able to comfortable in a natural shooting position is a huge help. Outside of benchtop shooting it's very important. Having the gun fit you makes it mount so much better and it's repeatable. If all you are doing is casual shooting out to 300 it certainly isn't needed. They are also super heavy.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:09:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why does that seem odd? Do you do any target shooting? Being able to comfortable in a natural shooting position is a huge help. Outside of benchtop shooting it's very important. Having the gun fit you makes it mount so much better and it's repeatable. If all you are doing is casual shooting out to 300 it certainly isn't needed. They are also super heavy.
View Quote

Some people used to fill up A2 stocks with lead for balance.
Edit: Some still do.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those people are High Power shooters and aren't allowed to put a PRS on

Link Posted: 1/11/2021 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Adjustable cheek rest, adjustable LOP and the most convenient stock to install an Accu-Shot monopod. I absolutely love the Magpul PRS stock. Yes it's a bit heavy, a bit expensive, but so is my MEGA monolithic 308 build on all counts. Super expensive build and so are all of my components & optic. It is more of a bench shooter using monopod & bipod combo.

I also have the Magpul MOE Rifle Stock and I LOVE that stock too. I even installed this CTK Precision P3 Monopod on it. If you don't think you'll need adjustable cheek weld and no requirement for monopod then it's more of a 'want or don't want' in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 7:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
For what it's worth OP, my precision 6.5 CM AR wears a Magpul STR stock with a neoprene pad stuck on so I can get a consistent cheekweld. 0.55" groups at 100m, and I shoot out past 1000m, so the stock is only a matter of preference.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have four of the Gen 1 and 2 PRS and I like them very much on my precision builds.  Do they make the rifle more accurate, hell no, but they help you be more consistent on your cheek weld and hold, and that MIGHT make YOU a more accurate shooter.
My only complaint, and is why I use the MOE Rifle on almost every rifle I want a rifle stock on, is the blasted weight.  There is no two ways about it, they are a boat anchor.  But maybe not anymore.
I just saw the PRS Light on Magpuls site.  I don't know how long they have been out but I may give one a go.  It might be old news to the Magpul fan boys who spend their nights drooling over MP items, but it's new to me.  At 10 ounces lighter than the Gen 3 PRS and half the cost, $120 MSRP, and full adjustment for LOP, cant, cheek placement, it may be a decent option.  
link
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have four of the Gen 1 and 2 PRS and I like them very much on my precision builds.  Do they make the rifle more accurate, hell no, but they help you be more consistent on your cheek weld and hold, and that MIGHT make YOU a more accurate shooter.
My only complaint, and is why I use the MOE Rifle on almost every rifle I want a rifle stock on, is the blasted weight.  There is no two ways about it, they are a boat anchor.  But maybe not anymore.
I just saw the PRS Light on Magpuls site.  I don't know how long they have been out but I may give one a go.  It might be old news to the Magpul fan boys who spend their nights drooling over MP items, but it's new to me.  At 10 ounces lighter than the Gen 3 PRS and half the cost, $120 MSRP, and full adjustment for LOP, cant, cheek placement, it may be a decent option.  
link
View Quote

It was just announced yesterday morning I think. "Spring" availability. Whatever that means.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I really wish the PRS Lite had a small picatinny rail or at least an M-lok on the bottom for a monopod like all the other PRS stocks have. I REALLY love using my monopods. At least that option should have been there because it wouldn't have added weight.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I really wish the PRS Lite had a small picatinny rail or at least an M-lok on the bottom for a monopod like all the other PRS stocks have. I REALLY love using my monopods. At least that option should have been there because it wouldn't have added weight.
View Quote

Good news is I bet someone makes an attachment for it. Bad news is it will cost more then the stock.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:26:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why not just get a good rear bag? Monopods have limited use and won’t be as versatile as a good rear squeeze bag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why not just get a good rear bag? Monopods have limited use and won’t be as versatile as a good rear squeeze bag.
View Quote

The previous two PRS versions had a picatinny/M-lok for the purpose of a monopod. I wish the lite version did too for reasons explained previously. Whether there are merits for a rear bag or not, the OPTION for a monopod would be just as beneficial as the two previous PRS stock versions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top