Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2021 2:26:24 PM EDT
I need to swap out the commercial buffer tube on my Windham for a Mil-spec. Do I also need to swap the buffer and spring? I see there are a lot of people making buffer tubes, any suggestions on which brand.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffer/spring/castle nut/ end plate all compatible.

Colt
BCM
Aero
Anderson....all good to go for mil spec sized extensions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No need to swap the spring or buffer.

Stick with known good brands and you'll be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got a few Rainer Arms buffer tube with buffers an spring an they are really nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Primary Arms has a sale on buffer tubes right now

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#7]
LMT if you can find one. BCM is my second choice. Aero is my budget pick.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I use the Enhanced Recoil Springs in all my ar15's.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:34:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Just FYI if you care!
Buffer Tube Snob here.  I use mostly Colt 4 Pos Receiver Extensions but after much research I have found several that have the same basic profile as the Colt with a raised portion toward the lower receiver.  The Damage Industries have the same profile as do BCM.  Here is the Damage which is the same as the BCM and Colt

Here is an Anderson which is similar to the LMT without the raised reinforcement toward the lower receiver.  They probably both work fine but they LOOK different to me.

ETA: LMT

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 7:53:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote here for damage industries. Just received another one of their kits a couple of days ago. Best deal out there too. Probably the best fit and finish too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand why the commercial ones were made to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#12]
https://www.righttobear.com/Colt-4-position-Buffer-Tube-Kit-p/ct-msbk-m4.htm

$42 for a complete Colt set. This is probably the best deal right now.

I've also seen Aero w/ H buffer for around $45 which is a pretty good deal given that it costs about $8-10 for an extra tungsten weight.

Damage industries complete kit looks good for the money too, as it is 7075. It's probably nitpicky but I always make sure to go for 7075 rather than 6061 that the cheaper brands use. If they don't say what it is, assume it's 6061.

Also worth noting, I did recently receive an out of spec 7075 buffer tube where the bottom slot was milled off center. I won't say who it was from because they took care of it, but it was a brand I had recently had good success with. Just be aware that these are the type of parts are are always sub contracted out and quality has definitely slipped this year from a lot of places.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:13:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.righttobear.com/Colt-4-position-Buffer-Tube-Kit-p/ct-msbk-m4.htm

$42 for a complete Colt set. This is probably the best deal right now.
View Quote

Just a heads up on THOSE
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Interesting, the plot thickens...

I have 1 on the way, guess we'll see how it goes...
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the Damage Industries info.  I just ordered several buffer kits for old lowers with commercial tubes, as well as some spare springs, a few QD swivels, etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Interesting, the plot thickens...

I have 1 on the way, guess we'll see how it goes...
View Quote

Got mine last night. Compared to a known genuine colt from a factory 6920 I see a few slight differences. Finish is similar, but a tad bit flatter than my colt, not as flat as some others though. Threading method looks slightly different and there is a slight ridge around the circumference where the reinforcement part ends. Castle nut looks very similar. No way for me to say if these are just differences between sub contractors but it seems like a quality option.

Genuine colt on the bottom in this pic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't understand why the commercial ones were made to begin with.
View Quote

Cheaper to make is my guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top