Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2021 4:03:07 PM EDT
Looking for a recommendation on a carbon fiber handguard. Was originally leaning towards lancer but coda evolution looks nice, and I’m pretty intrigued by the smoke composites (although with the price I might still rule it out)

If anyone has any opinions one way or the other, I’d appreciate. Going on my coyote rig with 22” proof barrel
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious on this as well.  When I last looked at cost-effective carbon handguards (a concept I like), some of them I'm pretty sure were not, but were just molded plastic. Which would be fine, until about the 3rd magazine...
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve read several member posts who are engineers stating that carbon fiber’s strength comes from being continuous and not having any holes cut through the material.

Wish I could help more, I bought mine from AP Custom before they shut down.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Have the Coda, would buy it again.  The tolerances are tight and it's solid.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I received a Brigand Arms carbon fiber.
Sorry, but can't recommend them and I really wanted to like it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve got the following:

Smoke Composites
Lancer (Faxon)
Coda

Over the years, I’ve run them extensively in competitive venues. The Coda simply isn’t as rugged as the Lancer, or SC with SC being the best. The issue is primarily the hardware and barrel nut. I’ll take some pictures later and compare the three.

The only one I’ll be purchasing again is the Smoke Composites.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Who has the best prices on the Coda handguards?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:43:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By @45-Seventy:
I’ve got the following:

Smoke Composites
Lancer (Faxon)
Coda

Over the years, I’ve run them extensively in competitive venues. The Coda simply isn’t as rugged as the Lancer, or SC with SC being the best. The issue is primarily the hardware and barrel nut. I’ll take some pictures later and compare the three.

The only one I’ll be purchasing again is the Smoke Composites.
View Quote

Thank you. The smoke looks the most appealing but damn it’s pricey when you add that rail on top. Buy once cry once though so I’ll probably end up going that route
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#8]
All I can tell you is DO NOT buy a cheap one from eBay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I get a little sad when I hear a co-worker talking about their 'good deal' from Amazon or eBay.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m more of a buy once cry once kinda guy.

It’s all on the back burner right now regardless. Was planning on a spare upper, but mostly likely will just be getting a large frame rifle. And after researching all the weights, it really won’t save me anything. My 02 lite rail with barrel nut is only a couple oz heavier than most of the carbon handguards
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Lancer seems to make the Carbon Fiber for most companies such as Faxon. I would go Faxon. Uses milspec barrel nut, which is unique among carbon fiber or free float handguards.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:42:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Funny I just got a Lancer LCH5 to compare with a Coda Lightning. I prefer the lockup of the Coda.
I'm a pretty dumb guy but having to loctite the barrel nut overnight for the Lancer doesn't quite espouse the confidence.

The resin is thicker on the Coda, slick finish. Might not be a good thing on sweaty days though.

They're both seem good though and I'll use em both, I just prefer the Coda right now.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Funny I just got a Lancer LCH5 to compare with a Coda Lightning. I prefer the lockup of the Coda.
I'm a pretty dumb guy but having to loctite the barrel nut overnight for the Lancer doesn't quite espouse the confidence.
View Quote

I agree on the Loctite but the KAC UX4 uses Loctite to hold the barrel nut in place.  Can't say anything bad about KAC around here

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The resin is thicker on the Coda, slick finish. Might not be a good thing on sweaty days though.

They're both seem good though and I'll use em both, I just prefer the Coda right now.
View Quote

Bang it hard on a wall during rapid transitions and enjoy your cockeyed rail:
Attachment Attached File

Smoke Composites on the other hand has a longer barrel but with much heavier duty hardware for a more secure rail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bang it hard on a wall during rapid transitions and enjoy your cockeyed rail:
View Quote

Sheeit. +1 for the Lancer then.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the PRI Delta

I've given up on hoping they'll make a normal rail height version, so there's only one choice in front sights if that matters to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top