Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2019 10:20:11 AM EDT
time to re-barrel my spikes rifle with another 14.5

which is it, FN CHF or DD? both are the same price with LEO discount. Leaning more towards the DD

BTW: I only run FSB, no LP gas blocks for this guy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think you could go wrong with either, Flip a coin.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont think you could go wrong with either, Flip a coin.
View Quote
Aaaaaand FPNI again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a 14.5 FN CHF barrel. It is impeccable and excellent quality. I am sure DD will be just as good.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
From the pictures others have posted here comparing the rifling it’s seem DD is the better choice.

Sorry I don’t have the link.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Geissele picked DD to barrel their new uppers.

That to me solidified their already stellar reputation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Flip a coin like others have said.  I have a Spikes FN CHF "optimum" profile and it is a great barrel.  It is not a precision rifle barrel but with match ammo I can shoot 1MOA with ease.  I also like the profile it is not pencil profile but not a heavy profile.

https://aimsurplus.com/spikes-tactical-16-st-fn-chf-5-56-barrel-w-pinned-mid-length-lpgb
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
time to re-barrel my spikes rifle with another 14.5

which is it, FN CHF or DD? both are the same price with LEO discount. Leaning more towards the DD

BTW: I only run FSB, no LP gas blocks for this guy.
View Quote
https://aimsurplus.com/spikes-tactical-14-5-5-56-mid-length-lw-nfa-pistol-barrel  for non fsb should you ever change your mind

with fsb, no option other than Colt socom imho.  These are GREAT barrels

of the FN or DD, FN all day
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From the pictures others have posted here comparing the rifling it’s seem DD is the better choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

i saw that today, i was about to pull the trigger on the fn till i saw the scope of the rifling. that dd sure did look sweet and i've never owned one in 14.5 [DANIEL DEFENSE]

That post is what has me on the fence

Quoted:

https://aimsurplus.com/spikes-tactical-14-5-5-56-mid-length-lw-nfa-pistol-barrel  for non fsb should you ever change your mind

for the FSB I would have to order from spikes which is what i would do - LEO/MIL discounts is what puts that and DD at the same price. I normally order from primary or aim but neither have with FSB
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had some FN barrels that were extremely accurate, and some FN barrels that were average.

Every DD barrel I have had has been exceptionally accurate.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never owned nor shot a FN AR barrel so I cant help there, but i do have two DD barrels that have been fantastic and another I havent shot yet.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I am an FN fanboy. That being said, I personally think Daniel Defense is better than FN and Colt in every way, including barrels.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am an FN fanboy. That being said, I personally think Daniel Defense is better than FN and Colt in every way, including barrels.
View Quote
My wife would agree with you, She thinks her DD is nicer than my Colt.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Faxon makes great barrels. check them out.

https://faxonfirearms.com/barrels/ar-15/5-56-nato-223-remington/
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Geissele picked DD to barrel their new uppers.

That to me solidified their already stellar reputation.
View Quote
USASOC picked DD for their new uppers. Geissele just cloned it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both,can’t tell the difference. Flip a coin
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks all, I think I am going to try the DD barrel this go around. Seems their CS is out standing as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks all, I think I am going to try the DD barrel this go around. Seems their CS is out standing as well.
View Quote
Good choice.  They are both quality, but i do believe DD is a little more consistent with things like the rifling and overall QA/QC.  I am betting FN produces quite a bit more than DD so some fall through the cracks every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Im jonesing for a Colt SOCOM barrel assembly. I really want an AR10 barrel in the SOCOM profile.

FN is better than DD, but not by much. Splitting cunt hairs really. Ive had 2 DD barrels, both were fantastic, Ive only had FN barrels through PSA. But they were also fantastic, DDs were 16" and a 12", PSA/FNs were 20" so not a real comparison. The 20" I was more consistent with, but was more used to full sized rifles back then. If I were to compare again, Id probably not be able to tell a real difference.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Either one would be great but only one would get my money, due to the other trying to throw our 2A under the bus. I dont care how good a companies products are or how great the price is..I dont support companies that take anti American positions against our constitution. And I dont believe the backpeddling damage control either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Either one would be great but only one would get my money, due to the other trying to throw our 2A under the bus. I dont care how good a companies products are or how great the price is..I dont support companies that take anti American positions against our constitution. And I dont believe the backpeddling damage control either.
View Quote
Here we go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
FN.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here we go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go.
it's valid and we all need to stick together on this.

that said, I pick up that FN today!  thx for that info!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go.

It really isn't valid though, if you look at the facts of the matter instead of making an irrational emotional argument. Don't be like the lefties, Daniel Defense mistakenly backed a bill and retracted/apologized for the mishap. It isn't backpeddling and it isn't damage control, mistakes genuinely do happen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Every time I hear this argument, I see these same people with Geissele gear
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not me, Im more discerning.  Won't own anything troy or dd now.  Troy is worse however and think people who do are hypocrites and either selfish, lack a spine, integrity, and can't stand up for whats right.  Imho
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#28]
I am a CAPITALIST. Is this gonna get locked too for dumb s@#t?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Wasn't one of Colts owners saying some anti-2a stuff a few years ago?  And also Ruger's. And S&W's owners loved the Clintons back in the day and started putting that lock on their revolvers. And the parent companies of FN and HK are from dirty commie new world order countries. And LaRue said some anti-bump stock stuff a while back. Looks like we're down to a couple companies, boys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Both are good to go IMHO OP however, I would personally choose the DD out of the two.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not me, Im more discerning.  Won't own anything troy or dd now.  Troy is worse however and think people who do are hypocrites and either selfish, lack a spine, integrity, and can't stand up for whats right.  Imho
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALL of my DD was purchased many, many moons prior to any drama.  Hell, I even have a pile of old Troy sights that were technically before...before we all knew, anyhow.

I suppose I shall be judged to lack a spine?  It's a lot of money, and time invested in builds to just sell or toss out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you saying my Purple Heart is negated because I have a set of Troy sights?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Either company makes a decent barrel,.....between the two, I’d take the DD

As far as the politics BS, i could care less. Ive bought Troy sights long before the crapstorm.

Only a fool would trash parts that were bought before a meltdown. Doubt I’ll buy any more Troy products.
RRA, Springfield, Ruger, Troy,......all have done stupid crap.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#34]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:38:48 PM EDT
[#35]
The barrel on my SCAR 17 is the most accurate CL Barrel I have shot.  That said, my DD rifles are accurate and DD has more options for barrel length and profile than FN.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Either company makes a decent barrel,.....between the two, I’d take the DD

As far as the politics BS, i could care less. Ive bought Troy sights long before the crapstorm.

Only a fool would trash parts that were bought before a meltdown. Doubt I’ll buy any more Troy products.
RRA, Springfield, Ruger, Troy,......all have done stupid crap.
View Quote
Yeah but troy was over the top and doubled down.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Same price?

Both have the profile you like?

Both CHF?

I'd pick DD.  But it is almost a coin toss.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Both are GTG
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Never had a issue out of my DD barrels.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am a CAPITALIST. Is this gonna get locked too for dumb s@#t?
View Quote
So am I. Best way to stick it to people is NOT give them money. I dont need to get political. You dont get my money, attention, or recommendations. THATS how were supposed to do it.

Dont have to get emotional. Dont have to get political. Can keep this technical. But not mentioning companies, suggesting against them for either factual reasons or "personal preference".

What people do should matter. Not what they say. I dont care for "apologies", they are just words. I bailed on Armalite because of Westrom supporting bullshit in NY. I support Armalite now that theyve been gutted and taken from him and moved to an even more gun friendly and people friendly state. It kinda sucks because thats how these things works, but it got my business and recommendations again. You cant say that for RRA, Springfield, or many others.

You want to make a difference with these companies? Stop buying their shit.

Anyways, I like FN because they supply so much. Are more capable. DD is good stuff too. But they are not FN.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
i saw that today, i was about to pull the trigger on the fn till i saw the scope of the rifling. that dd sure did look sweet and i've never owned one in 14.5 [DANIEL DEFENSE]

for the FSB I would have to order from spikes which is what i would do - LEO/MIL discounts is what puts that and DD at the same price. I normally order from primary or aim but neither have with FSB
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

years ago there were threads on this barrel and the owner of spikes said it was his personal favorite.  I've had all these barrels and more and this one is in another league.  It's more accurate than my socoms which are more accurate than my noveske which is more accurate than my FNs and DD (which I got rid of).

I understand why you wanted to that route however, good luck regardless and shoot whichever barrel out!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It really isn't valid though, if you look at the facts of the matter instead of making an irrational emotional argument. Don't be like the lefties, Daniel Defense mistakenly backed a bill and retracted/apologized for the mishap. It isn't backpeddling and it isn't damage control, mistakes genuinely do happen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go.

not being irrational or emotional my friend, if a company can't make the right choices that are well researched then they are making quick/il founded/unreasoned decisions base on what then; emotions

anyway, the FN is better imho anyway but that spikes barrel (which I believe the blanks are FN) is my absolute favorite
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
not being irrational or emotional my friend, if a company can't make the right choices that are well researched then they are making quick/il founded/unreasoned decisions base on what then; emotions

anyway, the FN is better imho anyway but that spikes barrel (which I believe the blanks are FN) is my absolute favorite
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here we go.

That's the thing though, anyone is capable of making a mistake. I know numerous individuals that supported the Fix Nix bill, as it was originally described to them. It was sold as a great fix to the broken system we have, heck a buddy of mine was wrongfully denied and had to go through a lengthy process to be able to pick up his G19.

My point isn't to be irrational or emotional but rather logical. Look at the facts at hand and make an educated decision on it, not a knee jerk reaction of "HE SUPPORTED THAT, BURN HIM!" which is actually irrational and based entirely on emotion. Daniel Defense, as a company, has sold every single item they produced for the military market to the civilian market. Even the MK18 handguard in FDE, albeit now you must get it through purchasing an entire upper or firearm.

Does this sound like a company that wants to restrict second amendment rights?

Both barrels are solid contenders OP, really can't do wrong with either. There is a thread of the Spikes one I believe being bore scoped and it didn't look to hold up as well as the DD barrel though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:56:09 AM EDT
[#44]
FN

I have a 10.5" chrome lined FN barrel that is as accurate as my match guns out to 200 yards. The gas port is perfect and the gun works with all ammo, even weak wolf. Had it for 7 years with thousands of rounds through it with zero issues.

The owner of DD showed his true colors. I will never buy any DD items again.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

years ago there were threads on this barrel and the owner of spikes said it was his personal favorite.  I've had all these barrels and more and this one is in another league.  It's more accurate than my socoms which are more accurate than my noveske which is more accurate than my FNs and DD (which I got rid of).

I understand why you wanted to that route however, good luck regardless and shoot whichever barrel out!!!!!!  
View Quote
I alsways go to BA, Faxon and FN. next barrel, I should fives Soikes a try. I like all Spikes gear. Sorry to derail the thread. I have so many ARs, don’t know when I assemble another, but I will try. So they do veteran discount?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
My DD barrel shoots better than my FN barrels by about .5 moa. I can get 2 moa from my fn's on a good day with match ammo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:17:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’ve had some FN barrels that were extremely accurate, and some FN barrels that were average.

Every DD barrel I have had has been exceptionally accurate.
View Quote
I have three builds using DD CHF barrels and this has been my experience as well. Unfortunately, I've never personally owned a FN barrel but, have shot a few owned by friends. No complaints either way and it's definitely a quality product.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:41:20 AM EDT
[#49]
As I said in my original post either one is a good choice. I left which one wouldnt get my money to the imagination.

I wouldnt expect anyone to destroy items they had purchased in the past (that would be a waste) and I wouldnt either, but certain companies wont be getting any money from me in the future. Its just bad business alienating your customer base to appease people who will never buy your product anyway and who foam at the mouth thinking about destroying your business along with everyones constitutional rights. There are some mistakes that are just too bad to forget and forgetting mistakes sets the stage for repetition.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#50]
which one has the most modern rotary hammer forging equipment and least time on the mandrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top