Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2018 1:04:13 PM EDT
I see a lot of stuff from both Aero Precision and Anderson Manufacturing around and sometimes I get them mixed up. Other than the roll mark is the overall quality of their stuff the same?
What are your opinions of them? Both good, both bad or is one good and the other bad? I'm talking about all kinds of parts not just lowers and uppers.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Aero. I have absolutely no technical data to back up this opinion. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Apples to oranges IMHO

Anderson=upper range of low end brands
Aero= upper-midrange
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apples to oranges IMHO
View Quote
I would agree, Aero does some nice machining/finishing work on their receivers. The Anderson receivers I've seen were at best "Meh" to flat out "crude". Both will work but I'd go with Aero over Anderson every time.

Shame too because I'd love to support Anderson as they are local to me but they seem to prioritize price point over quality.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Apples to oranges IMHO

Aero= upper-midrange
View Quote
This.

Anderson makes a Very Good basic lower receiver.  Nothing fancy but solid value.

Aero has some special features (tension screw to reduce slack / wobble & a threaded screw hole for rear retainer) that usually are features found more at the upper end.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 3:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:56:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Lexus to a Kia. A 90's Kia.

I have an Anderson carrier that is cut wrong, leaving a huge opening at the rear of the ejection port. I have an Anderson trigger that has their "speed hammer", which apparently means learning how to clear light primer strikes with speed, because it can't make it three rounds in a row. I have an Anderson buffer tube that is the sloppiest piece of shit Mil Spec tube I've encountered. I have an Anderson lower with the integrated trigger guard, where the guard itself looks like it was machined by a Dremel. We won't get into how off axis my upper's rail is, or how their barrels look like they were crowned with a hole saw.

These are just my experiences. Add in people I know and the problems double. They may have some acceptable parts, but after contacting them out of safety concerns for the carrier issue and getting the run around, no thanks.

Aero on the other hand I'm a big fan of. Their M4E1 uppers and lowers are beyond excellent. I'd even say their fit and finish make some of the top brands look like amateurs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Anderson lowers are the cheapest to buy, often selling for $30 online, $50 in shop. I’ve built a few, and they do work, but are likely to have some minor issues with fitment. I’ve never bought an Aero because Anderson’s cost about 50% less (and I’m cheap). Basically Aero seems to be the next step up in price and availability. Aero is not cheap nor expensive, they are at a pretty sweet price point actually, just above the cheap stuff, and from what I’ve read they are probably worth a little extra.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lexus to a Kia. A 90's Kia.

I have an Anderson carrier that is cut wrong, leaving a huge opening at the rear of the ejection port. I have an Anderson trigger that has their "speed hammer", which apparently means learning how to clear light primer strikes with speed, because it can't make it three rounds in a row. I have an Anderson buffer tube that is the sloppiest piece of shit Mil Spec tube I've encountered. I have an Anderson lower with the integrated trigger guard, where the guard itself looks like it was machined by a Dremel. We won't get into how off axis my upper's rail is, or how their barrels look like they were crowned with a hole saw.

These are just my experiences. Add in people I know and the problems double. They may have some acceptable parts, but after contacting them out of safety concerns for the carrier issue and getting the run around, no thanks.

Aero on the other hand I'm a big fan of. Their M4E1 uppers and lowers are beyond excellent. I'd even say their fit and finish make some of the top brands look like amateurs.
View Quote
The original Kias I think the model was Sportage 4x4 with those small rusty rimmed tires.  The spare tire rack looked like something the high school shop class welded together with 3/4 plumbing pipe, but it started rusting the day it left the sell lot.  Those Kias were real stars
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anderson lowers are the cheapest to buy, often selling for $30 online, $50 in shop. I’ve built a few, and they do work, but are likely to have some minor issues with fitment. I’ve never bought an Aero because Anderson’s cost about 50% less (and I’m cheap). Basically Aero seems to be the next step up in price and availability. Aero is not cheap nor expensive, they are at a pretty sweet price point actually, just above the cheap stuff, and from what I’ve read they are probably worth a little extra.
View Quote
Brownells has Aero lowers on sale for $46.99, can't beat that with a stick IMO... AERO PRECISION - AR-15 GEN 2 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER, BLACK = $46.99
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have bought 15 Aero lowers, at least 4 of them have had some sort of issue.  Mostly pivot pin spring holes not drilled correctly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote
Buy this. That's a smoking deal. Just be prepared to buy their upper too, since it will make you feel inadequate with a standard upper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buy this. That's a smoking deal. Just be prepared to buy their upper too, since it will make you feel inadequate with a standard upper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just got done doing that. I had 2 in my cart, but I already have an AP receiver set (non M4E) that I was going to use for a 300 build, but these were too pretty and good a price to pass up. I grabbed a bunch of other stuff to use the $59 off $500, and it worked, even with the AP sales price on those items.

ETA: I still suck at the multi quote
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have used 6 AP Lowers - No Issues at all - Have used an equal amount of AP Uppers with no problems - The Anderson's several years back were pretty rough but the four I purchased this year are much improved - My new Stag Lower had rougher machining marks - I built his last batch up with Stag LPK's with out issues just so all my uppers have someplace to call home - I still use the "better" tricked out  lowers for Most shooting - Its your budget - If you can spare the extra 20$ for the AP do it - It is only costing you  a couple of magazines or spend the savings on a quality parts kit -
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:31:04 PM EDT
[#17]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Aero is good stuff and very reasonably priced. I don’t do Anderson.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Aero is good stuff and very reasonably priced. I don’t do Anderson.
View Quote
Yes; not a fan of the poverty pony either.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Have built on quite a few Anderson lowers with zero issues but won't buy anything else of theirs...
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I have used both Aero and Anderson uppers, lowers, receiver extensions and lower parts. For receivers pick you roll mark. I will however not use Aero receiver extensions again, I had two and both took a good bit of effort to thread in to the lowers. No problems with the Anderson I have.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Aero, they helped me out even though I fudged up.

Aero lowers are better than Anderson imo. They have more features and more bang for your buck.

Also the poverty pony roll mark looks cheaper than the Aero.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I am a big fan of Aero Precision.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:10:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've grown to like it.
View Quote
I like going to the range and seeing the guys that color fill their Anderson roll marks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Apples to oranges IMHO

Aero= upper-midrange
View Quote
I completely agree.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Anderson vs Aero?

They are not even in the same league.

I don’t think there is any other brand that is in the same league with Anderson. And I don’t mean it in a good way either.

Aero all day everyday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anderson vs Aero?

They are not even in the same league.

I don't think there is any other brand that is in the same league with Anderson. And I don't mean it in a good way either.

Aero all day everyday.
View Quote
Andersons league is mil spec and basic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Saw this posted here awhile back. Snowflake lowers got nothing!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/AndersonMan_zpszufv9zpt-613247.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like going to the range and seeing the guys that color fill their Anderson roll marks.
Saw this posted here awhile back. Snowflake lowers got nothing!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/AndersonMan_zpszufv9zpt-613247.jpg
If Anderson made that My Little Pony lower I'll buy one. I've been watching My Little Pony a lot lately.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Brownells has Aero lowers on sale for $46.99, can't beat that with a stick IMO... AERO PRECISION - AR-15 GEN 2 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER, BLACK = $46.99
View Quote
I was talking about in-store Prices (Anderson $49, Aero $79). Online prices are always cheaper—but I gotta pay like $30 more for the FFL fee. That’s about the price difference between an Anderson and an Aero usually. To me $30 is an LPK, so I tend to buy Anderson. But I’m also a cheap bastard. My only real point though is that either will work fine. Anderson and Aero seem to be the most commonly available, and I’d recommend either over a “no name” brand.

Poverty Pony, hah! I like that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Aero over Anderson.

From experience with a handful of Aero sets, desirable tighter fit for barrel extension, good and firm takedown and pivot pin alignment, close fit, and decent machining/ finish.

From a Anderson set: needed significant truing by drill, barrel extension fit not as nice as Aero, grip screw not threaded all the way, and poor alignment of pivot/takedown pins causing binding issues but functional by punch.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Have several of both

Never had an issue with either and the Aeros cost double right now

Sometimes they go on sale in two packs in gunchoker

I’ve never ran into the grip screw issue some report but I’ve only done four Andersons

I personally like the Aero rollmarks and my family is in aviation so I thought it was fun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 4:57:12 AM EDT
[#36]
A LGS had Aero and Anderson lowers in the case.  I was looking to build my first rifle.  I compared and Aero won out, fit and finish plus the extra features.  How can you not go with Aero Precision.  I bought an Aero upper to go with my lower and the finishes matched up.  My rifle turned out fantastic.

I’ve bought blem lowers on sale and heck if I can find the blemish.  I buy most of the basics from Aero, then build to my needs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:31:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would agree, Aero does some nice machining/finishing work on their receivers. The Anderson receivers I've seen were at best "Meh" to flat out "crude". Both will work but I'd go with Aero over Anderson every time.

Shame too because I'd love to support Anderson as they are local to me but they seem to prioritize price point over quality.
View Quote
Agree 100%
I'm in Florence
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have bought 15 Aero lowers, at least 4 of them have had some sort of issue.  Mostly pivot pin spring holes not drilled correctly.
View Quote
I have had similar experience with Aero, including with an M4E1 lower. One two lowers, the takedown spring hole wasn’t drilled all the way and I couldn’t get the spring to clear without cutting it. On another, they didn’t drill the hole for the bolt catch roll pin. My M4E1 wouldn’t accept any pivot pins, the hole was just slightly too small and I tried three different brands of pins, including one I pulled from a factory assembled aero lower. Aside from that, they’ve been excellent and I continue to use them, I just make sure to inspect them really well before purchasing.

Anderson, on the other hand, has been 100% functional. I think by now I’ve assembled around 8 over the years, five for myself and three for friends/family. The older ones have some pretty silly cosmetic issues, such as shallow roll marks where you can hardly read the serial number, and a strange grayish anodizing. The most recent ones I’ve received have been perfect and appear to be of the same quality as my Daniel Defense and Aero lowers.

Based on experience alone, I would get the Anderson over the Aero since I know it will always be the better deal and I don’t much care for what the roll mark is if it’s not a factory built rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought an Anderson lower parts kit last week.  First time I ran into an MIM parts kit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I bought an Anderson lower parts kit last week.  First time I ran into an MIM parts kit.
View Quote
Extremely unlikely, considering most basic FCGs from even the best brands are MIM.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@Moondog
What was MIM in the lpk?
View Quote
Bolt catch is a common one, even in kits where the FCG itself is investment cast. I doubt Anderson actually manufactures their LPKs, they probably just buy in bulk
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have had similar experience with Aero, including with an M4E1 lower. One two lowers, the takedown spring hole wasn’t drilled all the way and I couldn’t get the spring to clear without cutting it. On another, they didn’t drill the hole for the bolt catch roll pin. My M4E1 wouldn’t accept any pivot pins, the hole was just slightly too small and I tried three different brands of pins, including one I pulled from a factory assembled aero lower. Aside from that, they’ve been excellent and I continue to use them, I just make sure to inspect them really well before purchasing.

Anderson, on the other hand, has been 100% functional. I think by now I’ve assembled around 8 over the years, five for myself and three for friends/family. The older ones have some pretty silly cosmetic issues, such as shallow roll marks where you can hardly read the serial number, and a strange grayish anodizing. The most recent ones I’ve received have been perfect and appear to be of the same quality as my Daniel Defense and Aero lowers.

Based on experience alone, I would get the Anderson over the Aero since I know it will always be the better deal and I don’t much care for what the roll mark is if it’s not a factory built rifle.
View Quote
I had to trim my front detent spring down on my M4E1, but that's fairly common on a lot of lowers and/or LPK's. PSA for example I've found usually has a bit longer detent springs. I've also owned a couple factory rifles from other makers that had trimmed springs. Seems neither would be hard to make right.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I should have clarified that I bought an Aero LPK to go with the lower when I purchased it. Jankiest LPK I have ever seen, worse than DPMS. Haven’t tried an Anderson
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 10:34:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top