Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 6:24:44 PM EDT
Would I go chrome lined? Nitride? What would you suggest and why?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Nitride, for both longevity and accuracy.  A l9t has been in question about nitriding, but tests are starting to show it is a very durable treatment, and it is cheaper to boot.

That being said, can't go wrong with chrome lined. I have had exceptionally good luck with both types, then again I stick to known quality brands: chrome lined I run FN or LMT barrels, nitrided I use Lothar Walther or Ballistic Advantage. Faxon has an exceptional reputation for nitriding as well, just haven't gotten around to using them yet.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheaper is better if you plan on burning up a barrel.  

Mine is on an Armalite M15 Middy barrel.  Since the range is on summer hours and I can't make it there most of the time, I have no chance at burning up my barrel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, Larue will replace it if you burn it out 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quality of the steel is more important than nitride vs chrome. Get the higher grade CMV type steel, with either bore treatment.

In a HEAVY profile. Need thermal mass to soak up that heat.

Longer gas system to minimize gas port erosion.

Get a handguard with a big aluminum barrel nut, and lots of aluminum on the handguard to dissipate even more heat.

And a barrel of water to dunk the thing in to cool it off.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have multiple Larue bbls and I wasn't aware of that. Sounds like my search my have come to an abrupt end.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
PSA FN CHF chrome-lined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top