Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2017 4:05:44 PM EDT
I’ve been really impressed with some parts from an AR manufacturer that I had never heard of, Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply (SMOS Arms).   I was searching for a Noveske upper w/o forward assist to match a lower I had, and stumbled upon SMOS Arms.  Turns out SMOS was the OEM of the Noveske stuff I was using.  I wound up buying one of their “builder kits” (upper, lower, and handguard) as well as one of their barrels.  Unfortunately they stopped producing the upper w/o forward assist that I was looking for, maybe they will produce it again if they get enough demand.

I was amazed at the fit and finish on the parts, especially how tight and perfect everything fits together.  There’s no rattle or play in the fit of the receivers, it’s perfect.  The handguard blends seamlessly into the upper, perfection.  The huge magwell facilitates quick reloads perfectly.  I love the understated beauty of the entire kit, no flash, just perfectly executed rifle parts.  

The barrel is damn near magical.  It’s a 13.7” match grade barrel with a midlength gas system.  I pinned and welded a muzzle brake that brings total length to 16”.  It shoots sub MOA and the recoil impulse is oh so soft.  I’m using this as 3-Gun rifle and it shoots very flat with a JP comp.  I’m thinking of picking up one of their 16” rifle length barrels for my next build.  

I’m very happy that I found this company, I’ve got 2,000 trouble free rounds on this gun and am excited to build another rifle with their parts.

http://i.imgur.com/a/u4J9V.jpg
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Your picture isn't working.  Please fix because I'd like to see it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I may have heard them mentioned a time or two:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
They used to make the lowers for Larue, they're good at what they do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
$275 for a billet lower without a tensioning screw or ambi bolt release? wow...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yikes!  I do not see the value...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Horrible customer service.  Nice parts but a pain the ass to deal with. No thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe the matched upper & lower sets are worth the $$.  There's something about a matching billet upper/lower set that is quite excellent.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:56:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Aren't all AR uppers and lowers "matching?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Aren't all AR uppers and lowers "matching?"
View Quote
they are all compatible, but a "matching" pair means they have been inspected from the factory for fit with no wobble between upper and lower, and are sold as that pair.  Otherwise, to completely eliminate the wobble between upper and lower, you either need to (1) use the shitty rubber wedge under the rear takedown pin (which causes problems in many ARs) or (2) buy a lower receiver with a tensioning screw. The screw has a rubber or plastic tip and places tension on the upper receiver to eliminate wobble.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a fantastic looking lower, but I agree.

Too many others offering ambi features for the same or less money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#11]
The only SMOS lower I have and I got really lucky with the Anderson upper matching it.

18" CLE barrel in that one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
They make some pretty stuff and have been behind the scenes the past few years making parts for other manufacturers. I'm not a fan of their "GFY" and in your face marketing though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

they are all compatible, but a "matching" pair means they have been inspected from the factory for fit with no wobble between upper and lower, and are sold as that pair.  Otherwise, to completely eliminate the wobble between upper and lower, you either need to (1) use the shitty rubber wedge under the rear takedown pin (which causes problems in many ARs) or (2) buy a lower receiver with a tensioning screw. The screw has a rubber or plastic tip and places tension on the upper receiver to eliminate wobble.
View Quote
Just a slight correction to the matched pair as far as compatibility. In some instances they are not necessarily compatible with other uppers or lowers. F-1 Firearms is an example. They make a matched pair and then they make a Universal upper and just recently released a Universal lower. The Universal upper will fit other Milspec lowers as well as their Universal lower but I tried it on the lower from the matched pair and it will not fit. Not saying the ones mentioned in tbis thread above are like that but  just something to check when dealing with these fancier, higher end pieces.

Rudy
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not a value brand.  My decision to purchase was based on the huge magwell, aesthetics, and the want for a precision fit.  I really appreciate the clean lines and subtle appearance.  The upper, lower, and handguard all fit together and blend as one.  It gives the rifle more of monolithic appearance versus a pile of parts.  So, while not cheap, it was absolutely worth the price.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Horrible customer service.  Nice parts but a pain the ass to deal with. No thanks.  
View Quote
@Beast666

can you elaborate on the customer service issues?

just curious. No axe to grind either way
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I just received my custom rifle from SMOS. Fit and finish is excellent. I had it cerakoted Patriot Brown with fde furniture and it looks sharp. I opted for a 15" crossbreed rail covering a 16" barrel running rifle length gas. I'm really excited to shoot it.

They did get a couple minot details wrong in the past, but they've done their best to make it right. They're a small outfit that make excellent parts and rifles.

Their new low profile, logo-less lower is the way to go if you're not a fan of the branding.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just received my custom rifle from SMOS. Fit and finish is excellent. I had it cerakoted Patriot Brown with fde furniture and it looks sharp. I opted for a 15" crossbreed rail covering a 16" barrel running rifle length gas. I'm really excited to shoot it.

They did get a couple minot details wrong in the past, but they've done their best to make it right. They're a small outfit that make excellent parts and rifles.

Their new low profile, logo-less lower is the way to go if you're not a fan of the branding.
View Quote
Dammit man, pics!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:27:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve been really impressed with some parts from an AR manufacturer that I had never heard of, Stubborn Mule Outdoor Supply (SMOS Arms).   I was searching for a Noveske upper w/o forward assist to match a lower I had, and stumbled upon SMOS Arms.  Turns out SMOS was the OEM of the Noveske stuff I was using.  I wound up buying one of their “builder kits” (upper, lower, and handguard) as well as one of their barrels.  Unfortunately they stopped producing the upper w/o forward assist that I was looking for, maybe they will produce it again if they get enough demand.

I was amazed at the fit and finish on the parts, especially how tight and perfect everything fits together.  There’s no rattle or play in the fit of the receivers, it’s perfect.  The handguard blends seamlessly into the upper, perfection.  The huge magwell facilitates quick reloads perfectly.  I love the understated beauty of the entire kit, no flash, just perfectly executed rifle parts.  

The barrel is damn near magical.  It’s a 13.7” match grade barrel with a midlength gas system.  I pinned and welded a muzzle brake that brings total length to 16”.  It shoots sub MOA and the recoil impulse is oh so soft.  I’m using this as 3-Gun rifle and it shoots very flat with a JP comp.  I’m thinking of picking up one of their 16” rifle length barrels for my next build.  

I’m very happy that I found this company, I’ve got 2,000 trouble free rounds on this gun and am excited to build another rifle with their parts.

http://imgur.com/a/u4J9V

http://i.imgur.com/a/u4J9V.jpg
View Quote

Let's see some sub MOA pics
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Let's see some sub MOA pics
View Quote
Don't have pics, but using 55g Hornady and 69g Australian Outback resulted in .65-.8" groups at 100y in their Shilen barrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your picture isn't working.  Please fix because I'd like to see it.
View Quote
Sorry about that, not sure why my pic isn't embedded in the post.  You can click the link to see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top