Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2017 8:34:16 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a hand guard that I can just slide on over the barrel nut, FSB (cut down, of course) etc. without having to take anything off. I know it will be difficult to cut all the extra stuff off, but it will be a lot easier for me to do that than borrow the tools for removing/reinstalling the barrel nut.

No real requirements, cheap would be nice, but don't need keymod or mlok.

I know the samson evo rails will fit meet this need, but I was looking for something cheaper if possible. Everything that I could find seemed to have its own barrel nut.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question/topic has been covered already. I don't frequent the boards as much as I used to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in the same boat years ago and used the Troy alpha rail.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in the same boat years ago and used the Troy alpha rail.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Daniel Defense Omega rails would work with the regular delta ring. Midwest Industries makes two part free float handguards, but you have to cut off the delta ring.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Fortis rev II series rails.......attach directly to standard GI barrel nut
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a delta ring on the gun now?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is there a delta ring on the gun now?
View Quote
Yeah, I was just going to dremel off the FSB and delta ring etc. (hopefully with out having to take them off the rifle) and just slide on the new tube. After watching some videos of the process, I may just throw the scope on there and not worry about the shadow of the fsb. Looking at the 1-x8 Vortex Strike eagle.

ETA: The rifle currently has Magpul MOE handguard  on it. I wanted to put the scope on it and was planning on just cutting off all the crap I don't need to put on the tube.  I guess I could just buy a cheap low pro block and put it on the rifle as it is and keep the MOE hand guard. It would most likely be the cheapest/ easiest option, it may just look funny.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:20:26 AM EDT
[#7]
DD omega series if you want to keep the OEM Delta ring assembly.

Centurion C4, Midwest industries and maybe Troy if you are fine with cutting the Delta ring and spring with the dremel tool
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
In reality, it only takes a $12 barrel nut wrench and a hammer and punch to take them off and then you could put what ever you want on it, not hard to do..
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:19:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Midwest Industries or Troy.  I have them both, and have been 100% satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In reality, it only takes a $12 barrel nut wrench and a hammer and punch to take them off and then you could put what ever you want on it, not hard to do..
View Quote
I agree with this. Then you can cash in on the alg defense or geissele blew sales going on now and get a fancy rail.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:27:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Samson rails will also work with a standard barrel nut, just have to cut off the delta ring assembly.

I have a Samson Star Ex 9 on my AA arms piston upper.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
you also need something to hold the receiver in a vice while you remove the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lazy people create more work than needs to be done
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

you also need something to hold the receiver in a vice while you remove the barrel nut.
View Quote
In sure someone in the OPs area would loan him the tools or even help for some beer. HTF is always a good place to check
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
1. Ouch, that hurts.

2. You're probably right. I will most likely  forgo any rail and just deal with the shadow of the FSB. cheaper and easier than any of the previous options.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Sometime you just need to say (or post) your idea out loud and get some feedback to realize it wasn't the greatest.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a hand guard that I can just slide on over the barrel nut, FSB (cut down, of course) etc. without having to take anything off. I know it will be difficult to cut all the extra stuff off, but it will be a lot easier for me to do that than borrow the tools for removing/reinstalling the barrel nut.

No real requirements, cheap would be nice, but don't need keymod or mlok.

I know the samson evo rails will fit meet this need, but I was looking for something cheaper if possible. Everything that I could find seemed to have its own barrel nut.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this question/topic has been covered already. I don't frequent the boards as much as I used to.
View Quote

You sure about that?

Ive been using a cheap $15 AR combo wrench for years (bbl nut, castle nut, and a2 fh is all i use it for). Most aftermarket handguards come with their own bbl nut wrench.  Then you just need a punch to remove the FSB pin.  Less than $20 in parts, approx.

The handguards that use stock bbl nuts tend to be more expensive and not as good, compared to those that are designed around their own bbl nut.

You dont need a top of the line, gunsmith "daily driver"  bbl nut wrench for occasional use.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=3&campId=5337559805&toolId=10001&customId=j5hb6omhn800zk8a00004&mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fp%2FNo-m-a-r-AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Vise-Block-Armorers-Gunsmith-223-Barrel-Nut-Tool%2F1417692853

These are great, i shopped around and got the one with the lower block as a set for about 20 bux.

I never really use the lower receiver block, though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
In sure someone in the OPs area would loan him the tools or even help for some beer. HTF is always a good place to check
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good upper receiver block is cheaper than a 12 pack of beer.  Other than keystone light.

And delivered right to your door.

Dremeling off handguard assemblies is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
1. Ouch, that hurts.

2. You're probably right. I will most likely  forgo any rail and just deal with the shadow of the FSB. cheaper and easier than any of the previous options.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Sometime you just need to say (or post) your idea out loud and get some feedback to realize it wasn't the greatest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Ouch, that hurts.

No.  I mean, theres nothing wrong with keeping the FSB, but you will save money getting a cheap bbl nut wrench and then having all the choices in the world for rails than having to use a very particular kind of rail.  Those centurion c4 and DD omega rails arent cheap, and the other ones are kind of "old school" cheesy, imo.  

You can cut down your FSB to make a great LPGB, and your barrel is already notched for the pin.  

1) take off moe handguard
2) drive out gas block gas tube pins, remove FH
3) shave FSB to make GB
4) put upper back together with ur rail of choice
4) shoot it

If you want to keep the FSB, the FSB cutout rails from DD and Centurion are very cool.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Centurion c4 is the one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:07:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Sell the upper on the EE, then buy one with a rail from PSA.

Probably the cheapest, easiest option.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#23]
making sure to punch out the taper pins in the proper direction
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#25]
You're all fucking wrong.  The correct answer is Centurion Arms C4 Cutout rail.  Everything else is dildos.

Badassness.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#27]
On my only factory rifle, I removed the FSB in order to shave it down. But I just cut the delta ring/spring off with a dremel in about 5 minutes. Didn't need a vice or anything. This was before I starting building and had the appropriate tools. Lacking tools, cutting off the delta ring assembly is pretty simple.

In all honesty, even if I had the tools, I'd probably just dremel it off. That way I don't have to worry about getting the barrel nut off, then torqueing/timing it. 5 mins with a dremel and you're done.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/20170822_093050-287195.jpg

Done. Very gravy. Little over an hour total.

Now waiting on my C4.
View Quote
That profile may not work with some of the slimmer rails (think Rev II, possibly the Alpha). I have no experience with the C4, just some heads up for others who may be contemplating this approach.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:32:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That profile may not work with some of the slimmer rails (think Rev II, possibly the Alpha). I have no experience with the C4, just some heads up for others who may be contemplating this approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/20170822_093050-287195.jpg

Done. Very gravy. Little over an hour total.

Now waiting on my C4.
From the several I've cut I had to profile/taper the four upper corners to work with the HG's that I used.  You will shortly find that out if you hadn't test fit the rail yet.  Light use with a die-grinder made quick work of it couple with a decent clean up afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:06:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Unless you're set on an extended rail, I've never understood why someone would chop their FSB.  It's the best sight you can have, and it doesn't interfere with magnified optics.

The Omega rail will be free floated and will drop in without modification.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top