Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/29/2017 6:37:33 PM EDT
I am looking for a new barrel for my 3 gun rifle. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Ballistic Advantage Hanson, a Mega Arms, or a Seekins Precision barrel.

I have a Mega barrel on another rifle and it seems to perform well.

I have a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel on my SBR. I like that the gas block is pinned and the gas port is not excessively large.

I don't know a while lot about the Seekins barrels, but they seem to make good stuff and I also have a 40% off coupon for them which drops their barrel down to around the same price as the other 2.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a tough call. I say get the one that comes with free shipping and/or accessories (gas block?).
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Faxon.  

If you get them from Aim Surplus you can get them with pinned gas blocks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend BA.  I use their longer 17.7 stainless in my 3g rifle and it is very very accurate. With a h-buffer and POF muzzle brake, the recoil impulse is smooth and flat. The brass lands about 4:30-5 position.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys. Ballistic advantage seems to do a really good job with their gas port sizes.

Price is pretty low on my list for making a decision. I don't want to waste money, but performance and longevity is what I am really going for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Of those, I'd probably go with BA.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Of those, i'd go with Faxon gunner profile. Faxon is doing 10% off sitewide this weekend, and Monmouth Reloading has 15% off in stock Faxon barrels.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]
What does Faxon do that BA doesnt?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 4:38:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
For starters, they Nitride coat their barrels to prevent corrosion and provide a longer life. Their new, Match series barrels have NP3 coated receiver extensions (feed ramps and extension) as opposed to BA's Nickle Boron. Comparison here The Faxon match barrel has 5R rifling, which reduces bullet deformation, and provides a boost in velocity.

Specs are available Here
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For starters, they Nitride coat their barrels to prevent corrosion and provide a longer life. Their new, Match series barrels have NP3 coated receiver extensions (feed ramps and extension) as opposed to BA's Nickle Boron. Comparison here The Faxon match barrel has 5R rifling, which reduces bullet deformation, and provides a boost in velocity.

Specs are available Here
View Quote
BA nitrides their barrels as well.  I do like that Faxon is now offering 5R rifling but those barrels are expensive.  I have quite a few BA and Faxon barrels in multiple calibers.  Both are very well made and group well for the cost.  My BA 18in Wylde SPR barrel groups just as well as my Larue 20in Stealth with quality off the shelf ammo.

Monmouthreloading currently has 30% off BA barrels with free shipping.  Righttobear has some slightly better pricing on some of the BA barrels right now.

BA or Faxon would be a toss up for me.  It would depend on the barrel profile and deal at the time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Larger number shots in tighter groups, in my experience.  Which is only a few samples so grain of salt there. 

Now look around and see how many times a week Faxon rep RogueNathan posts in this section.  

Not saying BA is a bad barrel.  I'm sure they are quality.  I'd pick Faxon first in my experience.  

We all like different things. 

From what you are describing though, I'd go see if Riflegear.com still had FN chf barrels on sale and buy one of them above all.  YMMV. 

I'd buy this and have many times over...
FN barrel
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I own mainly BA barrels, a couple faxon and a couple Larue. IMO the 30% sale on BA barrels is tough to beat. But here is my 3 gun rifle 17.7 BA Hansen stainless yesterday with a 1-6 PA scope and Hiperfire 24c trigger at 100 yds. Top 3 shots were my 69 gr smk the lower 2 shots were my 50gr vmax all handloads. Just ran out of 69 gr from shooting other rifles.

Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I own mainly BA barrels, a couple faxon and a couple Larue. IMO the 30% sale on BA barrels is tough to beat. But here is my 3 gun rifle 17.7 BA Hansen stainless yesterday with a 1-6 PA scope and Hiperfire 24c trigger at 100 yds. Top 3 shots were my 69 gr smk the lower 2 shots were my 50gr vmax all handloads. Just ran out of 69 gr from shooting other rifles.

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/4359/Bra7Qv.jpg
View Quote
Do you have any 5 or 10 shot groups.

That is roughly my experience with BA 3 shot groups.  If you have any 10 shot groups though I would be very interested in seeing the.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Larger number shots in tighter groups, in my experience.  Which is only a few samples so grain of salt there. 

Now look around and see how many times a week Faxon rep RogueNathan posts in this section.  

Not saying BA is a bad barrel.  I'm sure they are quality.  I'd pick Faxon first in my experience.  

From what you are describing though, I'd go see if Riflegear.com still had FN chf barrels on sale and buy one of them above all.  YMMV. 

FN barrel
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN barrel
That bbl profile is obsolete.

That said I have an FN chf bbl and it's a great bbl.  12", though, so less unnecessary weight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Psa is having a pretty good sale on odin works barrels this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you have any 5 or 10 shot groups.

That is roughly my experience with BA 3 shot groups.  If you have any 10 shot groups though I would be very interested in seeing the.
View Quote
I don't I will need to get some. I took 3 rifles to the range and was just trying some new loads switching to varget powder. Varget looks very promising. The rifle was sighted in on the 50gr vmax which I mainly shoot at matches. All 5 were loaded same mag, 3 69gr SMK then the 2 left over 50gr vmax. The shift in poi was interesting though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

BA nitrides their barrels as well.  I do like that Faxon is now offering 5R rifling but those barrels are expensive.  I have quite a few BA and Faxon barrels in multiple calibers.  Both are very well made and group well for the cost.  My BA 18in Wylde SPR barrel groups just as well as my Larue 20in Stealth with quality off the shelf ammo.

Monmouthreloading currently has 30% off BA barrels with free shipping.  Righttobear has some slightly better pricing on some of the BA barrels right now.

BA or Faxon would be a toss up for me.  It would depend on the barrel profile and deal at the time.
View Quote
Sorry, I should have specified, I was comparing the top of the line offering for both companies. BA Premium Hanson, vs Faxon Match. The Premium Hanson's are all Raw stainless, with a bead blasted finish.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I would go another for the Ballistic Advantage. The pinned gasblock really makes a difference.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:33:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Not trying to play fanboi or anything, but I'd suggest Larue. Just took my 16" stealth build out today, and the accuracy was phenomenal. Not downing any of the other excellent barrels you listed ( of which I own a couple), but for $250.00 for an M4-cut barrel it should definitely be considered.

EDIT:   Oops! sorry, I saw the Mega barrel mentioned, but didn't realize you were looking in the $150.00 range. Based on that, I'd go Ballistic Advantage.

EDIT:  I'd also consider a CTS AKTIV buffer with anti-tilt     HERE
These things REALLY work, and machining/ manufacture is perfection itself. does a decent job of reducing felt recoil a bit, and really improves function.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:57:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Not trying to play fanboi or anything, but I'd suggest Larue. Just took my 16" stealth build out today, and the accuracy was phenomenal. Not downing any of the other excellent barrels you listed ( of which I own a couple), but for $250.00 for an M4-cut barrel it should definitely be considered.

EDIT:   Oops! sorry, I saw the Mega barrel mentioned, but didn't realize you were looking in the $150.00 range. Based on that, I'd go Ballistic Advantage.

EDIT:  I'd also consider a CTS AKTIV buffer with anti-tilt     HERE
These things REALLY work, and machining/ manufacture is perfection itself. does a decent job of reducing felt recoil a bit, and really improves function.
View Quote
Price isn't really that important. Do you think the mega barrel is the way to go?
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 3:05:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would go another for the Ballistic Advantage. The pinned gasblock really makes a difference.
View Quote
If you get a Faxon from Aim Surplus, they are pinned, too.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 4:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A pleasure to be mentioned. Thank you!

OP - You asked earlier what Faxon has that BA does not. While we do not directly compare ourselves to any company (and BA is one we respect mightily), we break our backs on providing the best service out there, bar-none.

In short, we don't accuracy guarantee - we satisfaction guarantee - which to us is a much tighter specification - and won't give up until we have it.

You can always reach out to me personally, anytime.
View Quote
Thanks for posting. I have heard a ton of good things about Faxon.

I plan on using whatever barrel I get in 3 gun. Being a lighter weight barrel, do your gunner barrels have POI shift when they warm up?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I plan on using whatever barrel I get in 3 gun. Being a lighter weight barrel, do your gunner barrels have POI shift when they warm up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A pleasure to be mentioned. Thank you!

OP - You asked earlier what Faxon has that BA does not. While we do not directly compare ourselves to any company (and BA is one we respect mightily), we break our backs on providing the best service out there, bar-none.

In short, we don't accuracy guarantee - we satisfaction guarantee - which to us is a much tighter specification - and won't give up until we have it.

You can always reach out to me personally, anytime.

I've had a GUNNER barrel in my 3 gun rifle for about 6 months now. Never has had a shift in POI as the barrel warms up, even on long hoser stages. The design of the GUNNER is to cut weight on the muzzle end where you feel it in the swing of the gun. It still has enough barrel near the chamber to stop POI changes where the heat is.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Not on your list, But, I am having excellent luck with the CHF FN  Mountain Barrels in 14.5 and 16 inch. All do 1/1.5 groups at 300 yards and better when closer. All with military ammunition. Plus I have run them hard on full auto and then they are still accurate. The steel is 41V45 and heavy chrome inside. You do have to keep the outside rustproofed as it is just parkerized.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:04:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Price isn't really that important. Do you think the mega barrel is the way to go?
View Quote
I don't have a Mega barrel, but I've heard good things. I've gotten hooked on the performance I'm getting out of my 16" Larue Stealth, but it's in the $250.00 range. I assumed that was more than you would want to pay.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:44:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I ended up going with the Faxon Match Series Gunner profile 16 in barrel. I am excited to see how it performs.

RogueNathan- I have heard good things about your barrels, but what sold me on the barrel was how approachable you guys appear to be on here. I look forward to putting this barrel through its paces.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Barrel has been installed, but I am not quite getting the accuracy I was hoping for yet. I am not sure if it is the barrel or the ammo. Here are some groupings at 200 yards. Ammo I tested today was ORM Tech, freedom munitions, and Austalian Outback Match Ammo.

Here is the rifle.

For a comparison here is a group shot with my 14.5 in Rifle that has an aimpoint micro.

And here is a group shot with my SBR which also has an aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
My experiance is that they do not.

I run Faxon GUNNERS on my 3-Gun rifles and quite frankly, they're pretty damn close to magic.

I've been extremely satisfied.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I run Faxon GUNNERS on my 3-Gun rifles and quite frankly, they're pretty damn close to magic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing I've found with my Faxon GUNNER. It is dead on when you start and when you finish.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 5:08:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Barrel has been installed, but I am not quite getting the accuracy I was hoping for yet. I am not sure if it is the barrel or the ammo. Here are some groupings at 200 yards. Ammo I tested today was ORM Tech, freedom munitions, and Austalian Outback Match Ammo.

http://i.imgur.com/sUcN8tw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3aOfPhu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/R3XQcgR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CpxI34y.jpg

Here is the rifle.
http://i.imgur.com/3qrK0zE.jpg

For a comparison here is a group shot with my 14.5 in Rifle that has an aimpoint micro.
http://i.imgur.com/gsQkdCc.jpg

And here is a group shot with my SBR which also has an aimpoint micro.
http://i.imgur.com/iYLRbNI.jpg
View Quote
I see your problem!

All of your targets are upside down!

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Did you contact Faxon about this? They will help out
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding. We're happy to be of service.

Buzz our Customer Service and Mark will get that barrel back for analysis. Mention I sent you over.

-Nathan
View Quote
Sounds good. Thanks for the service. I actually took the rifle to the range yesterday to try out a bunch of different ammo.  I tried Hornady match 55 and 75 grain and 69 gr federal gold metal match. I still got pretty similar results.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Spikes CHF optimum profile
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Spikes CHF optimum profile
View Quote
Someone didn't read the thread....
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 2:12:16 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd go with BA or Faxon.
Monmouth has 25% off BA barrels. Go with the pinned LPGB option.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Someone didn't read the thread....
View Quote
Okay and? I was making a suggestion to the OP and it's one that's worth a look.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay and? I was making a suggestion to the OP and it's one that's worth a look.
View Quote
Lol. You made a suggestion AFTER the OP already bought a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:10:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
I did see that, and he said he wasn't seeing the groups he had hoped for. Sometimes people move on to something else if they don't get the results they want. Clearly seem to have some sort of hard on when I was simply making a suggestion to the OP.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:42:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I did see that, and he said he wasn't seeing the groups he had hoped for. Sometimes people move on to something else if they don't get the results they want. Clearly seem to have some sort of hard on when I was simply making a suggestion to the OP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for the suggestion. At this point I have sent the barrel back to Faxon to take a look at. I will keep everyone updated with how this turns out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, how many rounds did you put through the barrel for break in?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#44]
OP,  my Faxon PENCIL weight 16" did better with CBC 55 gr M193, 10 shots, with a 2 MOA red dot.  A little over 3 MOA.

I would expect better from the ADI ammo, hope they get it straightened out.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 2:52:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
OP,  my Faxon PENCIL weight 16" did better with CBC 55 gr M193, 10 shots, with a 2 MOA red dot.  A little over 3 MOA.

I would expect better from the ADI ammo, hope they get it straightened out.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40088/Screenshot_20170703-200822-275841.JPG
View Quote
What distance was that at?

Total I had about 300 to 400 rounds thought it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I hate to do this, but I don't know any other way to get a hold of Faxon at this point.

No update on the barrel as of now, but I have not been able to contact Faxon. I have tried multiple emails to their customer service email and by filling out the contact form on their website. I have also tried calling them on multiple days at different times. Every time I call, the automated service says that they are not available. I have tried the customer service, technical support, and internet sales option. All of them go straight to an answering machine saying they are not available. I also PMed RogueNathan yesterday.

Anyone know what's going on? Are the Faxon guys out of town at a conference?

If the barrel is not ready to come back yet I understand that. It just seems a little strange that I can't get a hold of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I hate to do this, but I don't know any other way to get a hold of Faxon at this point.

No update on the barrel as of now, but I have not been able to contact Faxon. I have tried multiple emails to their customer service email and by filling out the contact form on their website. I have also tried calling them on multiple days at different times. Every time I call, the automated service says that they are not available. I have tried the customer service, technical support, and internet sales option. All of them go straight to an answering machine saying they are not available. I also PMed RogueNathan yesterday.

Anyone know what's going on? Are the Faxon guys out of town at a conference?

If the barrel is not ready to come back yet I understand that. It just seems a little strange that I can't get a hold of them.
View Quote
I've gotten the impression that they have been exceptionally busy the past month or so, and this week I think they are slammed dealing with getting 6.5 Grendel barrels sent out (had an issue with a batch of barrels, had every customer ship them back and remade new barrels from scratch to replace them with). Not making excuses, just offering my observations. I have no doubts that they will take care of you, as I have seen them do the same with any issue, but i'd be lying if I didn't say they seem to be a bit slower than usual as of late.

Hopefully @RogueNathan will be along shortly to dispel any concerns.

He has posted his own email a few times as well, you could try that: [email protected]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I've gotten the impression that they have been exceptionally busy the past month or so, and this week I think they are slammed dealing with getting 6.5 Grendel barrels sent out (had an issue with a batch of barrels, had every customer ship them back and remade new barrels from scratch to replace them with). Not making excuses, just offering my observations. I have no doubts that they will take care of you, as I have seen them do the same with any issue, but i'd be lying if I didn't say they seem to be a bit slower than usual as of late.

Hopefully @RogueNathan will be along shortly to dispel any concerns.

He has posted his own email a few times as well, you could try that: [email protected]
View Quote
Thank you for the information. I had no idea about the 6.5 grendel problem.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Send me an e-mail, please. That way I can track everything through our ticketing system to get up to speed ASAP.

Thanks!
View Quote
Email has been sent.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top