Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 2:53:50 PM EDT
Received this directly from the manufacturer.  It's unfinished stainless, so I'm not worried about the small scratches.  This is from a well known company that has been in the game a while, not a fly by night company.  The things caught me off guard:

1)  Un-centered fluting.  Don't think I have ever seen fluting this far out of line with the index pin and gas port.  Don't know that I have ever seen them out of line on a barrel, fluting or dimples.  It's almost dead center off between a recess and high point.  Just seems lazy.  I'm sure it won't effect accuracy by itself, but it doesn't install a lot of confidence that attention to detail was put into other parts of the process. Drew a red line between the pin and port on the below picture for reference.

2)  Banged up barrel extension ring.  Looks like they whacked it pretty good more than once when installing the index pin.

3) Chatter marks in front of the barrel extension.  Hopefully these where made during fluting and not during rifling.

Am I being too picky?  The only other stripped barrels I have purchased are Rainer and Larue, never had a problem with those.  This barrel is chambered in an intermediate distance accurate round. So I was expecting a little better "fit and finish."  

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd send it back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd send it back.
View Quote

This.

Not because of the fluting, but any damage to the barrel extension ring is going to increase the chance of accuracy degradation.  They can clean it up on a lathe, but by guess is that costs a pretty penny, and I would not be happy at all because it shows a lack of attention to detail.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What did you pay for it?  If it's was $150 or less I wouldn't bother sending it back.  Over $250 and it's going back.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Send it back, that looks like crap.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Why does the radial orientation of fluting under the handguard matter at all?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why does the radial orientation of fluting under the handguard matter at all?
View Quote

Like I said in the OP, it doesn't affect accuracy, but indicates poor craftsmanship in general that could carry over to other issues.  Have you seen a sampling of others that are off?  I ask because I really haven't.   Even tried to find some pics.

The flutes closest to the muzzle are off as well, I just didn't draw the line all the way up there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What did you pay for it?  If it's was $150 or less I wouldn't bother sending it back.  Over $250 and it's going back.
View Quote

$200.  Right in the middle

It was actually a gift, shipped directly to me.  Might make the return process more complicated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is that a Green Mountain? If it is, let me know. I had some like that left over from a customers production lot that were to be sold off as surplus. It looks like crap and you shouldn't have to deal with that. We have properly indexed barrels that are much better looking, I'll replace it no problem.

Rick from GMRB.
View Quote

It came from Alexander Arms.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I would contact the company first and see if they will let you shoot it for accuracy and still exchange the barrel for a replacement if the accuracy is not there. If you shoot it and it's accurate, who cares about the blemishes? You won't see any of them anyway when the barrel is mounted.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Did you call the company first and give them a chance before crying on arfcom?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Random prick comment.

I haven't decided yet if I want it exchanged or just return it and move on, so no, I haven't contacted them in the day that I've been in possession of it.  Put the feeler out here to see if my concerns were reasonable.  If I put the "fuck AA terrible customer service never doing business with them" comment in the thread I must have missed it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Good info to know, I wouldn't have noticed the fluting. Now I know what to look for when buying said type barrel.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that a Green Mountain? If it is, let me know. I had some like that left over from a customers production lot that were to be sold off as surplus. It looks like crap and you shouldn't have to deal with that. We have properly indexed barrels that are much better looking, I'll replace it no problem.

Rick from GMRB.
View Quote

Can one possibly ask for better customer support than this?  Too bad for the OP that it wasn't an GM barrel.

It looks from the photo that the forward of the gas block fluting is in line with the index pin, so if that is the case and since that is the only fluting anyone is going to see, I would probably keep the barrel.  Problems two and three are non-issues IMO but the fluting being off center and not even being aligned front and rear would bother me.  However, since it was a gift and IF the front fluting is indexed to the index pin, I could certainly live with it since the rear fluting is going to be covered up anyway and will only be seen when the handguard is removed.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:38:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Speaking of gas block, look at that area.  It is machined weird. Has a short area of full OD where the port is, then machined smaller in front, then a larger area, then a small machined step, then the flutes.  That just looks odd.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#17]
This makes me nervous as I have the exact same barrel scheduled to be delivered today.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:04:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the company look their shit over before sending it out to a customer? The guy wasn't bashing the company, he was asking if others had experienced the same.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Random prick comment.

I haven't decided yet if I want it exchanged or just return it and move on, so no, I haven't contacted them in the day that I've been in possession of it.  Put the feeler out here to see if my concerns were reasonable.  If I put the "fuck AA terrible customer service never doing business with them" comment in the thread I must have missed it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Random prick comment.

I wonder if it was sold as a blem.  I wouldn't worry about the cosmetic stuff, but as was pointed out, the gas block journal definitely looks odd, unless it is just lighting.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Can one possibly ask for better customer support than this?  Too bad for the OP that it wasn't an GM barrel.

It looks from the photo that the forward of the gas block fluting is in line with the index pin, so if that is the case and since that is the only fluting anyone is going to see, I would probably keep the barrel.  Problems two and three are non-issues IMO but the fluting being off center and not even being aligned front and rear would bother me.  However, since it was a gift and IF the front fluting is indexed to the index pin, I could certainly live with it since the rear fluting is going to be covered up anyway and will only be seen when the handguard is removed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rick from GMRB.

My opinion was I would send it back without even a 2nd thought about it until I read this post. A lot of wisdom in this post. For $200 I think I would not bother with sending it back. If it was a $400 barrel it would be going back no matter what.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Speaking of gas block, look at that area.  It is machined weird. Has a short area of full OD where the port is, then machined smaller in front, then a larger area, then a small machined step, then the flutes.  That just looks odd.
View Quote

Yeah, I noticed that when I got it in.  Measured it a .736" IIRC.  Not sure why they did that, but if you look at their product page it sure does show it in the pic.  Would it cause any issues using one of the shorter gas blocks?  One that is the length of a traditional FSB would just span the turned down gap and be supported on each end.  a short block (length not height) would be unevenly supported wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#22]
My opinion, I would send it back. Not so much for the fluting missalignment (maybe it was fluted prior to gas port and extension fit)  but the thing looks like it's been beat and chattered.

My bitch to the OP is that it seems to be perfectly acceptable to jump on a public forum first, rather than call the manufacturer first. It was 2pm when you posted that, perfectly within business hours. Especially if you are going to name the vendor before talking to them, first.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah, I noticed that when I got it in.  Measured it a .736" IIRC.  Not sure why they did that, but if you look at their product page it sure does show it in the pic.  Would it cause any issues using one of the shorter gas blocks?  One that is the length of a traditional FSB would just span the turned down gap and be supported on each end.  a short block (length not height) would be unevenly supported wouldn't it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be pissed if I waited almost a month for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top