Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide between the Magpul CTR and the LMT SOPMOD.  I'm familiar with the SOPMOD but I don't have any first hand experience with the CTR.

Does anyone have any input?  I'd appreciate any advice you guys might have.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought the str because of the better cheekweld, having the battery tubes, then I tried acsl l liked it but didn't like the sling mount finally went to the acs which seems to be my favorite in that it has a longer base to put a bag under at the range . I think anyone of them that have the battery tubes gave ne a more consistent cheekweld
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the CTR far more than the SOPMOD. I like skinny stocks vs fat ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:45:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a CTR on my primary AR for about 3 years with no complaints, I tried a SOPMOD about a month ago and have zero desire for the CTR anymore, the SOPMOD is by far my favorite stock.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:47:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Got several CTRs, no issues, as long as you don't grow your beard out.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 1:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
probably half this site owns a CTR....
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I prefer the CTR far more than the SOPMOD. I like skinny stocks vs fat ones.
View Quote

That's kinda what I'm thinking.  I've had the fat ones before and I'm thinking about trying a skinny one again.  I'm not super worried about having cheek weld issues because I did just fine before the SOPMOD stocks came out.

Plus, I've seen the CTR's on a couple of Navy SEAL's carbines and I suppose deep down I want to be even tacti-cooler than I already am.  Don't judge me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#7]
No go of you have a beard.

B5 sopmod and BCM are in the same price range
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why is that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

Pulls your hair

I don't have a huge duck dynasty one, but it will still pull some hair
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pulls your hair

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is that?

Pulls your hair

That sucks.  I'm not rocking a Rip Van Winkle but I do have a little bit of a beard going.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The CTR isn't a bad stock, but I greatly prefer the SL for the same price.  The passive tension springs lock up a bit tighter than the CTR friction lock, and while the SL is still slim/compact it's a bit wider and has angled sides instead of round for better cheek weld.  Not a big enough difference to replace my CTRs but for future purchases the SL pretty much makes the CTR obsolete IMO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Any stock will pull your beard if you get it caught between the stock and the receiver extension.

The new MOE SL made the CTR obsolete IMO.  It's locks up just as tight or tighter, and the QD socket is in a better location.

I've also used a SOPMOD and it would be a LOT better if the butt of the sock was longer like the Magpul s and VLTOR EMODs.  I use an EMOD on my precision gun because the SOPMOD was too short (height of the butt).
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a CTR on my primary AR for about 3 years with no complaints, I tried a SOPMOD about a month ago and have zero desire for the CTR anymore, the SOPMOD is by far my favorite stock.
View Quote

Basically this. Went from a CTR to a B5 SOPMOD. Haven't looked back. No beard here though
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I had CTR's on 3 of my rifles. The worked good, didn't really have any complaints. Got a deal on an ACS-L, sold the CTR from that rifle. Got a LaRue RAT stock and sold another CTR. And now I have no CTR's. The cheek weld on the acs line is way better for me.

They work, but I prefer the acs/-L over the CTR. The rat is a really nice stock too And facial hair safe.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

i know. thought this was a troll.

CTR  = good
IMOD = better
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Where are people getting their beards caught on the CTR stock?  I get my mini operator beard caught on my STR stock on occasion but never on my previous CTR.  I replaced my CTR stocks with the newer SL stocks.  I like the lock up much better than the previous manually operated extra lock up function.  I have one SOPMOD and like it as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Where are people getting their beards caught on the CTR stock?  I get my mini operator beard caught on my STR stock on occasion but never on my previous CTR.  I replaced my CTR stocks with the newer SL stocks.  I like the lock up much better than the previous manually operated extra lock up function.  I have one SOPMOD and like it as well.
View Quote

The holes in the side meant for cheek risers

It wasn't as bad as my MOE's, but it would still pull hair
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#19]
CTR was fine, but go rid of it and switched to LMT SOPMOD on all rifles.  FAR superior in cheek-weld, weight/balance, etc.

LMT SOPMOD
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:36:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

CTR  = good
IMOD = better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CTR  = good
IMOD = better

Agreed. I used a CTR for a long time and figured I would never replace it but then came along an IMOD. Now I figure I'll never replace the IMOD.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I like my CTR just fine, but I find the STR more comfortable and will be replacing with those at some point. As far as the beard pulling, mine will do it too, but it is on a commercial tube right now, my friend has 2 with mil-spec tubes and they lock up tighter and can't grab hair. I'm switching to 2 mill-spec STR's when I get the chance.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Hell my plain old M4 collapsible stock from PSA pulls my mustache hairs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a bunch of the CTRs. They are inexpensive and lock up tight and hold up to anything you can throw at them.  I run this stock on two 475 Tremors, two .458 SOCOMs, and a bunch of smaller calibered rifles and they have never given me a moment of trouble.
I have a full beard too and have never had them pull hair.  All are mill-spec sized with VLTOR receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:44:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a CTR on one of my several carbines, my other have STR, Vltor IMOD & EMOD, even an old school Colt M4 waffle on my M4 clone, Rogers SuperStoc, and my newest is a B5 Systems BRAVO SOPMOD (slightly narrower than the Enhanced & LMT SOPMOD but wider than the CTR/ M4 mil stocks).

I usually prefer narrow stocks for dynamic use of the carbine but I like using wider stocks when using mainly magnified optics, steadier cheek weld easier to aim.

However my current all around stock is my B5 Systems BRAVO SOPMOD in between the width of the narrow and wide stocks, it have a limited rotation QD sling swivel that prevents tangling or twisting of the sling.

If you end up deciding on getting the wider LMT SOPMOD stock, I would recommend getting the B5 Systems Enhanced SOPMOD instead, same as the LMT but lower price and it have an anti rotational QD sling swivel.

B5 Systems are also a current military supplier of their Enhanced SOPMOD stocks.

The newest Colt LE6920 M4 Carbine Magpul Edition models are now using Magpul MOE SL furniture, they are no longer using the older original MOE models.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#25]
MOE SL is my current favorite stock....
I got a box of stocks sitting in a downstairs room right now including the LMT SOPMOD & a bunch of CTRs
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd like to try a SL stock but please tell me Magpul wasn't ignorant enough to install non rotation limited QD sockets on this new one like they did on their older stocks?
That would be a total deal breaker for me.

I checked all of Magpuls specs on it and limited is not mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Ran CTR , switched to STR then after looking at weight ended with a MFT minimalist.  CTR is now on 15-22.  Its a solid stock, locks down tight and not as heavy as STR.  Have never tried Sopmod

CTR, STR, MFT, SopMod.....probably cant go wrong with any of these...just decide if looking for super light, super cheekweld or whatever you think is sexier
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 9:25:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd like to try a SL stock but please tell me Magpul wasn't ignorant enough to install non rotation limited QD sockets on this new one like they did on their older stocks?
That would be a total deal breaker for me.

I checked all of Magpuls specs on it and limited is not mentioned.
View Quote

It doesn't need to be a rotation limited socket because the web of the butt keeps the swivel from rotating.  It can move about 90 degrees, but not enough to twist.  It's perfect, get one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#29]
A more comparable stock to LMT's SOPMOD would be the Magpul ACS.  I like the cheek weld and extra storage, whether you use it or not.  Anti-rotation socket is not needed as the tubes that provide the great cheekweld limit sling rotation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:45:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I got used to the Magpul Moe, but wanted a tighter fit so got a CTR.  Really liked the CTR, but thought I wanted a wider cheek so bought the ACS.  Ended up not liking it as good as the CTR as it's too long.  Still prefer the CTR.  That is until I got the Hogue stock.  Fits snug without having to fiddle with a lock down lever.  Love the feel on my cheek too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Any stock will pull your beard if you get it caught between the stock and the receiver extension.

The new MOE SL made the CTR obsolete IMO.  It's locks up just as tight or tighter, and the QD socket is in a better location.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I had a SOPMOD and sold it. Got a CTR.   CTR is not as bulky, locks up tight  and handles faster for me.  I don't care about cheek weld for a defense rifle with an Aimpoint on it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I like my CTR stock. I'd buy another one if I were building more ARs right now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Nother CTR here. Locks down tight and is a great stock. Mine has held up to some abuse.

Brad
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Love my CTR.

The MOE SL looks weird to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top