Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 4:17:53 PM EDT
Anything out there close or similar in strength and looks to a KAC 12 free float, seems like they don't exist....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Larue 12.0 and DD M4 12.0

IIRC the DD M4 is the original SAM-R handguard, right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
From the Jouster site by the original designer (retired Marine Gunner Ken Davis):

Re: Squad Designated Marksman Rifle

Posted By: Ken Davis <Send E-Mail>
Date: Friday, 16 February 2007, at 8:52 am

In Response To: Squad Designated Marksman Rifle (LeagleEagle)

I can tell you much about the Marines SAMR (Squad Advance Marksman Rifle) that was alluded to in the article. Since I was the original designer of it back in 1996, it has changed very little in the last ten years and has proven to be an incredibly successful weapons system.

The basic platform is a standard M16A2 lower with an M4 flat-top upper. The feed dynamics of the M4 upper are superior to the A4 upper. The barrel is a 1 x 7 Krieger stainless barrel procured from Compass Lake as a set; barrel, bolt and barrel extension. Compass Lake does the chambering (NATO) and headspaces the bolt to it. Contrary to the article, the barrels are blued at the PWS shop; however, the finish is not very durable and wears easily so the majority of the existing SAMR’s look like they have unfinished barrels. The rail system is the KAS RAS, a big mistake because it works loose and several have been reported broken. We had to modify the rail locking nut with a set screw to keep it in place. If I was to do it again, I would use the Larue Tactical 13.2 inch rail system as it locks solidly in place and completely covers the gas tube. The front sight is a standard flip-up that is integral to the gas block. The bipod is a Harris swivel bench rest model with Pod-Lok. We built the SAMR the same as the NM M16A2’s meaning the rifle is set up using the same exacting standards we used in building the NM guns. Utilizing MK 262, we were getting sub-minute groups out to 800 yards.

Ken Davis
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Anything out there close or similar in strength and looks to a KAC 12 free float, seems like they don't exist....
View Quote

It looks like the KAC FF 12" Long rails are available again.

They're trickling out of KAC.  I just picked one up from Wes at MSTN.

They'll be out in force in the next couple of weeks would be my guess.

If that's what you're really wanting then just hang on.  They're in the pipeline.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:07:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top