Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2015 11:37:21 PM EDT
I'm in the process of putting together a 20" precision AR-15 and was wondering if my choice of BCG will affect accuracy. In all my other ARs I just have phosphate BCGs like BCM and Spikes. Are some brands or coatings better than others when it comes to accuracy?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:14:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Just get a BCG. The high priced "National Match" BCG are snake oil, and the coatings are basically for lubricity & ease of cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just get a BCG. The high priced "National Match" BCG are snake oil, and the coatings are basically for lubricity & ease of cleaning.
View Quote

Here's your answer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
A good precision barrel should come with a bolt. So you should just have to add the carrier, cam, and firing pin.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Bolts can affect accuracy, the finish should not.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the bolt can.  One example would be if the firing pin does not strike uniformly because of drag inside the bolt or because it is not shaped properly.  This can lead to stringing, usually vertical.  I would doubt, however, that any decent BCG would have that issue.  I don't think that minor headspace variation within spec would make any meaningful difference.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Bolts can vary headspace, some bullets are sensitive about how far it is to the rifling.
The bolt lug loading can play a role in accuracy.
I would think these effects would be negligible to most shooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top