Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2015 10:39:32 PM EDT
I just ran about 600 rounds total through my Colt 6920 and PSA CHF midlength. Both guns have just been upgraded to the Springco Red severe duty sping and I went to the range with a mix of buffers. I brought IMI M193 along with Federal M193. For weaker ammo I shot Tulammo, Brown Bear, and PMC.

Both rifles ran flawlessly with the Springco Red, H3 buffer combination. The bolt locked back every time and I didn't have a single issue all day. The ejection patten was around 4 o'clock and very strong on both guns.

Does this mean I'm having an issue with the guns. I've always heard you're not supposed to go this severe with the sping/buffer combination. Any insight would be appreciated
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If it aint broke...
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
You're good. You could get adjustable gas blocks and tune down the buffer/spring rate, but if it works perfectly now, then there's no real need to "fix" it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If it aint broke...
View Quote
Agreed.  IME most rifles will cycle tulammo with an H3 buffer (the majority of the time and as long as it's not cold).

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You're good. You could get adjustable gas blocks and tune down the buffer/spring rate, but if it works perfectly now, then there's no real need to "fix" it.
View Quote

I guess I'm just really surprised. The Spingco Red is an extremely heavy spring. I mean it's kinda hard to charge the weapon. Between that and the H3, most factory rifles must be WAAAAY overgassed
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Sprinco's actual recommendation for carbine length systems is RED spring with H buffer.  But bear in mind that I have very little personal experience as I have two mid-lengths, both with BLUE springs and H2 buffers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:44:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess I'm just really surprised. The Spingco Red is an extremely heavy spring. I mean it's kinda hard to charge the weapon. Between that and the H3, most factory rifles must be WAAAAY overgassed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most are these days with the top manufacturers. They open up the ports to make sure they can run underpowered Tula etc. Makes for a hard hitting weapon with 5.56 tho lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been saying for a long time that people overblow buffer weights here. On my rifles, I've used the following buffers: carbine, H, H2, H3, T2, rifle, JP-SCS with 3 light weights, JP-SCS with 3 heavy weights. They all worked fine. Even on my 14.5" middy! That's supposed to be impossible!

Now, conventional wisdom will say that my rifles are overgassed. They work. AR-15s are just not as finicky as most people will lead you to believe.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:02:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most on here know that a 6920 is generously gassed, but I'm surprised a manufacturer would make a middy with a gas port so large it would reliably cycle Tula with a Sprinco red and H3. I've had my Noveske mid choke with stronger ammo and lighter/weaker components.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a factory spring from tapco with a H buffer and my midlength and it has never had an ejection problem with Tula.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a Tubb flatwire (20% heavy) and H buffer in my ArmaLite mid-length and it cycles the TulAmmo perfectly.  I am looking to try an H2 soon. If that cycles reliably, on to the H3.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:49:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most on here know that a 6920 is generously gassed, but I'm surprised a manufacturer would make a middy with a gas port so large it would reliably cycle Tula with a Sprinco red and H3. I've had my Noveske mid choke with stronger ammo and lighter/weaker components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would prefer for them to drill a smaller gas port, but I understand why they don't. Out of 500 rifles, maybe only a few guys will mess with anything internally. I really like how the heavy buffer and Spring soften the recoil impulse.

Are there any disadvantages to heavy springs ? Outside of the rifle bring harder to charge (even with the BCM latch) the bolt slams home with more authority, also because of the pressure against the bolt hold open its a little harder to disengage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:51:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use a Tubb flatwire (20% heavy) and H buffer in my ArmaLite mid-length and it cycles the TulAmmo perfectly.  I am looking to try an H2 soon. If that cycles reliably, on to the H3.
View Quote

Cool, I've heard those are good springs. The H2/H3 makes for a very soft recoil impulse. I can double tap easy, even without a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I picked up a bag of 12 tungstenweights, from SLASH.
H2buffers in ALL carbines.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've been saying for a long time that people overblow buffer weights here. On my rifles, I've used the following buffers: carbine, H, H2, H3, T2, rifle, JP-SCS with 3 light weights, JP-SCS with 3 heavy weights. They all worked fine. Even on my 14.5" middy! That's supposed to be impossible!

Now, conventional wisdom will say that my rifles are overgassed. They work. AR-15s are just not as finicky as most people will lead you to believe.
View Quote

It's not just a matter of working, overgassed will work most all the time. What they can, and do is put more wear on the disconnecter and the hammer and trigger pins. I've had to replace all of those on guns that were massively overgassed. I guess a hammer and/or trigger pin snapped in half is better than a damaged lower receiver though. .090-.110 is a bit much for a 16 inch carbine gas system and a "carbine" buffer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I have used std and h buffers with std springs since I've been  shooting ARs and never had an issue.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#17]
You want to run the heaviest buffer with the weakest ammo you forsee shooting and having it run reliably. Find that sweet spot and leave it. From your post id say your there. Tula is pretty weak. That is my go to ammo for setting up the buffer /spring.

A16" middy should be a blue, not a red. But if it aint broke........
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Just ran another 500 rounds today. Both guns ran great. I wanted to go without cleaning and run at least 150 rounds (through each) of steel cased at the end of the range session and both were flawless. I was kind of amazed the 6920 has less recoil than the midlength. It must have something to do with the gas port size.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You want to run the heaviest buffer with the weakest ammo you forsee shooting and having it run reliably. Find that sweet spot and leave it. From your post id say your there. Tula is pretty weak. That is my go to ammo for setting up the buffer /spring.

View Quote

That's what I was thinking. It's crazy because I couldn't go heavier if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. It's crazy because I couldn't go heavier if I wanted to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vltor A5 my friend. The end is not in sight.

I'm running a 16" middy with the system. running the A5H3, or as it stamped, -3. Research says it should run with the A5H4, the heaviest guy on the block.

Also running the standard Vltor spring. Feels a bit faster than the Sprinco green. Less ....harsh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top