Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 10:43:25 AM EDT
Found a good deal on the EE on a used one of these but from what I have read these should be mid and not rifle length gas systems. I pulled the handguard and only one gas block and it is indeed rifle length.  Thoughts? It all looks factory built.

Really like the upper just looking for more info.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
A true Dissipator is rifle length. A mock dissipator is carbine or mid length with a rifle length FSB. There can potentially be reliability issues with the rifle length Dissy's, but then again a lot of people on the board use em and love em.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A true Dissipator is rifle length. A mock dissipator is carbine or mid length with a rifle length FSB. There can potentially be reliability issues with the rifle length Dissy's, but then again a lot of people on the board use em and love em.
View Quote

Thanks for the info.. I am going to shoot it tomorrow and see if it has any issues.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#3]
They can be problematic with low pressure ammo and/or in extreme cold conditions. I've found my own to work well with a rifle buffer. Running a carbine buffer/tube required some fiddling.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:55:16 AM EDT
[#4]
the 3 CMMG dissy's that i have shot of my friends were all mid length

i know deltons are rifle length gas
bushmasters were carbine length gas ( i had one & sold it, wish i would have kept it)

rlfle gas can be finicky, have some diff ammo on hand to test what yours will like best
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's incorrect info.

Bushmaster used the name first, and it was a carbine gas system.  The term spread to include all 16ish inch barrelled carbines with a rifle gas length, barrel mounted front sight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's incorrect info.

Bushmaster used the name first, and it was a carbine gas system.  The term spread to include all 16ish inch barrelled carbines with a rifle gas length, barrel mounted front sight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect info.

Bushy may have started using the term, but before they did so, the original "Dissipator" was a 20" rifle gas barrel cut down to 16".
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Bushy may have started using the term, but before they did so, the original "Dissipator" was a 20" rifle gas barrel cut down to 16".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect info.

Nobody was calling the Colt 605 a Dissipator before Bushmaster coined the term for their carbine gas/rifle iron 16" offering because the term didn't exist. Cant call the original Dissipator configuration a "mock"

There was even a time years ago (before your time) when Bushmaster defended the name Dissipator from use by other companies. Since they no longer offer the configuration, I guess they no longer care who uses the name in advertising the style.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nobody was calling the Colt 605 a Dissipator before Bushmaster coined the term for their carbine gas/rifle iron 16" offering because the term didn't exist. Cant call the original Dissipator configuration a "mock"

There was even a time years ago (before your time) when Bushmaster defended the name Dissipator from use by other companies. Since they no longer offer the configuration, I guess they no longer care who uses the name in advertising the style.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect info.

I don't care who started calling it what, when. It's a style. The common parlance for a 16" barrel with a rifle length fsb is a Dissipator. The original style, before Bushmaster called it a Dissipator was a rifle length system, thus it is the original "Dissipator" style rifle.

I promise you, that Bushmaster wasn't around "before my time".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top