Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 6:16:04 PM EDT
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. I have a long-winded question for you experts. The other day the BCM 14.5 inch lightweight upper I ordered came in. This is it:

On their website, the 14.5 inch lightweight upper looks substantially thinner in the area under the handguards right before the gas block.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm

My question is, is this what their lightweight barrels normally look like or did I get something that’s not so lightweight? I realize this probably doesn’t weigh that much more than the thinner looking one on their website but my intent was to build an extremely lightweight AR. The only reason I pose this question is because I chose their lightweight upper because it looked to be a thin, A1 profile barrel. Is this substantially different from that? Does this really matter? Am I being too nitpicky? What say you?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Can't see pics.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is OP"s pic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:40:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Pictures on a screen often do not like like real life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like a lightweight barrel to me
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I see what he is saying. Can't explain it though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks lightweight to me as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
It IS a LW barrel with .625 at the gas block.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
First of all, there is no industry standard as to what constitutes a "light-weight" AR-15 barrel.  That being said, many  do consider the Colt 6520 barrel as a sort of "defacto" definition of "light-weight" for comparison to other barrels.

The Colt 16" 6520 light-weight barrel has a barrel diameter of 0.625” at the gas block and approximately 0.57” forward of the gas block. The barrel profile has a slight taper underneath the handguards from the chamber to the gas block with an average diameter of approximately 0.64”. The stripped light-weight barrel weighs approximately 1 pound, 6 ounces.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top