Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2014 9:16:37 PM EDT

is this whole idea just crazyI have never put carbine parts in a rifle stock

I am curious has any one tried the many different springs/buffers ect used to reduce recoil in a carbine in a rifle length stock.

is the rifle buffer already very (too) heavy  

is the gas return too weak to send back the heavier carbine buffers in a rifle extension.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#1]
a rifle buffer weighs 5 oz, a H3 weighs 5.4 oz, you're not going to gain much by that weight increase PLUS a carbine buffer will not function properly in a rifle receiver extension(without adding spacers).

What you can do is swap out one or more of the steel weights for tungsten weights to increase the mass as well as add a extra power spring.

Will there be enough gas? only way to tell is try. start with one tungsten weight(making a Rifle H buffer) and test fire, if it locks the bolt to the rear on an empty mag then ad another tungsten weight and so on until you find the sweet spot.

If you have a 20" rifle I doubt you'll see much of a noticeable reduction in recoil impulse, as a rifle is already really smooth shooting, but by all means try it out and report back with your findings.

edit: and it's not crazy, we're men, we tinker with everything.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Spinco's green spring and JP's polished rifle spring are both slightly heavier than a normal rifle buffer spring. You could give those a try.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The "rifle stock" (aka A2 receiver extension with rifle buffer and rifle action spring) does a good job in regards to reducing your recoil.

If you are going to try to reduce the recoil even further, you will have to go on and copy how most 3-gun competitors configure their AR's. A quick list includes a compensator as a muzzle device, a different sets of springs, a low mass bolt carrier group, and a finely tuned gas port.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

is this whole idea just crazyI have never put carbine parts in a rifle stock

View Quote

There's a good reason that you don't put carbine buffers in a rifle extension.  You'll break your rifle.  The rifle buffer and tube are a good bit longer than the carbine versions.  If you put a carbine buffer in a rifle extension the buffer won't limit the rearward travel of the BCG.  The gas key will then slam into the buffer tube ring on your lower on every shot.  You can install a spacer inside of your rifle buffer tube that will make the internal dimensions the same as a carbine tube, but the rifle buffer system is smoother than a carbine already, so why bother.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
but the rifle buffer system is smoother than a carbine already, so why bother.

View Quote

This I would think ^^^
I wish my pellet gun kicked as soft as my AR rifle
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top