Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2014 12:02:20 PM EDT
Been looking through the forums and couldn't find any answer so I'm starting a new thread.

I want to add a foregrip to my AR. Looking at the MOE rail from Magpul.

How does the rail fit on a standard handguard? Bolts through from the inside of the guard to the rail?

Thanks for any help.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:22:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Been looking through the forums and couldn't find any answer so I'm starting a new thread.

I want to add a foregrip to my AR. Looking at the MOE rail from Magpul.

How does the rail fit on a standard handguard? Bolts through from the inside of the guard to the rail?

Thanks for any help.....
View Quote

A few things:

1. Welcome.

2.  You created this thread in the Optics forum (you saw "mounts", probably).  It'll likely be moved.  Not a worry.

3.  What is your rifle's application/intent?  Why do you want a foregrip?  I ask as they add weight to a bad part of the rifle (front 3rd) and can be a little adverse regarding accuracy with drop in rails, dependent on rifle's purpose.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Ooops, sorry it's in the wrong forum....methinks this is my first post on the forum although I've been lurking around....

Purpose is shooting...targets at this point, but defensive use if the SHTF so to speak.

It seems like it might give better control even with a bit more (can't be a whole lot) of weight...

Opinions are always welcome....and I will probably learn something new....
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
To be clear, Magpul makes polymer handguards to which you can attach rails (to which accessories can be attached) or directly attach accessories.

Also note that aluminum handguards (railed, tubes, etc) can weight the same or even slightly less than Magpul MOE handguards. I mention this because you're not going to necessarily save weight with the Magpuls.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Just looking for a solution...back story is I have a Rock River and I'm not necessarily interested in replacing the hand guard with something else as I am just adding a rail so I can put on a fore grip.

Looking at the Magpul installation pdf for the MOE polymer rail section ( http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG406/104 ) it looks like it just bolts on....then you can put on just about any fore grip you want...?

For 5.95 maybe I'll just order one and try it out....I waste more than that on a Starbucks coffee (if I ever bought one... )
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]
The magpul rails are for the magpul handguards. I'm not sure that they will fit on regular handguards.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
There must be someone out there who makes 'one size fits all' Picatinny rails for multiple hand guards... Maybe my idea of blowing $5.95 would be the answer...
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There must be someone out there who makes 'one size fits all' Picatinny rails for multiple hand guards... Maybe my idea of blowing $5.95 would be the answer...
View Quote

Blackhawk makes rail sections that mount to standard handguards on the top or bottom, meaning you can use this to run a vert grip. Years back i had bought one of their rail sections at one point but ended up returning it and bought a quad rail. Lol
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 3:35:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You can find a magpul rail section to fit on just about any screw mount style handguard. For example, the 3,5 amd 7" rails all fit on diamondhead rails with a different pitch screw. They 2 and 4 inch ones fit on others as well
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the good replies....I'll be able to find something to use...
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
There are several manufacturers that make what you seek...you have a choice of poly or aluminum.  3" to 7" sections...here is one example

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/771206/gg-and-g-ufir-under-forend-integrated-rail-for-ar-15-rifle-and-m4-handguard-aluminum-matte

just google rail sections for M4 hand guard
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a cheap one from Ergo, IIRC, that bolted to a standard round handguard.  Worked OK for what I wanted to do at the time (which happened to be mounting a forward grip).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top